Autopsy Rd 3 Blues beat Giants - We're not putting that one in a time capsule

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 versus GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay some of LOBs kicks were atrocious and missed the player by some way. Resulting in out the back goals to GWS. GWS Also scored through the middle when winning hit out clearances. They just ran leaving four to five mids in their wake. We need players to sit negatively to the contest to avoid this. The ground really opened up for their drives. This didn’t happen as much out of their back 50.

Doc and McGovern kicking into the middle was strange. With time and space completely missing Carlton players and sometimes there wasn’t any yo kick to but they did anyway. Either a coaching directive or completely poor decisions.

Next week need to clean this up. I’m all for giving Dow a go who has looked promising around the ball if Kennedy doesn’t play. Give him and Cerra opportunities to play a wing if acres is too sore. Or even put fisher permanent forward with Dow to play his part time role.

I really liked Motlop around the ball. Great to see him And Durdin up the ground but it hurt us up the ground with only talls to go for the ball against a GWS spare. That’s the risk you take with playing an extra up the ground. We didn’t have a spare behind the ball like GWS did as we played the permanent tag on Greene. Sounds like Voss expected a scrap and played it that way deliberately.

I tend to agree, whilst Charlie has great running capacity he doesn’t have the contested marking ability of say, McKay, Naughton etc.

McKay is very quick, a reliable contested mark, 205cm tall and a beautiful kick i50.

A lot to work with in terms of tall talent at the Blues.
Yeah Curnow's hands are not sticky at all

Just watching the Sunday footy show and Coniglio was very stiff. I agree with Kanes assessment of the dissent decision/non-decision. Why can’t we have consistent umpiring in our game?
there's no consistent umpiring in any game..........

You mean your comment about it will be a "minor miracle we win this"? We had 10 more scoring shots, just didn't convert

But still waiting for a response to the question prior to the game, "on what basis?" I guess it makes it easier to reply after the event
We had more scoring shots but didn’t convert is disingenuous crap. That gifted free was a minor miracle. You just keep your head in the sand & keep saying everything’s fine.

We had more scoring shots but didn’t convert is disingenuous crap. That gifted free was a minor miracle. You just keep your head in the sand & keep saying everything’s fine.

Still haven't answered my question, prior to the event

"On what basis, would it be a minor miracle that we win this game"?

Structure, form against the Cats, selection, injuries, etc?

Just watching the Sunday footy show and Coniglio was very stiff. I agree with Kanes assessment of the dissent decision/non-decision. Why can’t we have consistent umpiring in our game?

Doesn’t mean they would have won though which seems to be the assumption.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suppose that’s true, but that free was eyebrow raising. I’m not complaining, just a weird rule that isn’t enforced well.
with all rules, there needs to be a line - with dissent, what exactly is a swear word? cricket has chalk lines and cameras to adjudicate whether they are crossed or not - the umpire as usual in afl gets the pressure heaped on him/her by having to make objective decisions with things like whether players have deliberately worked the ball out of bounds or have tackled high - it's putting the responsibility on the adjudicator which gives the player an out and draws screams of protest because a rule that was brought in recently has actually been used..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until an incredible piece of play in the last quarter, I barely saw him. It stood out because he'd barely done anything before. Someone said he was running hard defensively and not being at the ground, it's impossible to see that kind of thing.

Fisher copping a fair whack for his game yesterday. Not his best ever game but he was far from our worst. 17 disposals and did some damage. Saved us late. Not a bad effort.

I like LOB but jeez he has these performances where he's totally anonymous. At this stage in his career he should be reducing the gap between his best and worst. It's as wide as ever. With Acres most likely going out his spot just opened up. Unfortunate timing.

Hope Kennedy is back next week. Martin in for Owies I guess.

At the moment I don't think we could possibly be categorised as a good team playing good football. I'm starting to doubt that we are even a good team, the first quarter was diabolical with how easily GWS strolled through the corridor and we seem to revert to allowing this every second week. That is not the sign of a good team.

As someone else alluded to, we have far too many high quality players to perform this poorly. Yes we have not lost a game yet but I think most who appreciate the bigger picture can see we are not going well.

Put it this way, if the Adelaide that played last night turns up in a couple of weeks, they will put us to the sword with their run.

Oops, completely missed that it was about Coniglio and not Whitfield. And yeah, you can definitely see Coniglio, with his arms out, thrust his head forward like he's yelling something short and sharp.

I think part of the issue here is that we're not used to seeing the call when it's dissent about a decision not made, rather than someone arguing with a call against them. The "recalibration" of the rule last year was supposedly to allow for an element of instant emotion, but Coniglio fails that here by going out of his way to yell at an umpire about a call not given

with all rules, there needs to be a line - with dissent, what exactly is a swear word? cricket has chalk lines and cameras to adjudicate whether they are crossed or not - the umpire as usual in afl gets the pressure heaped on him/her by having to make objective decisions with things like whether players have deliberately worked the ball out of bounds or have tackled high - it's putting the responsibility on the adjudicator which gives the player an out and draws screams of protest because a rule that was brought in recently has actually been used..........
The only way around this issue is for players to learn how to swear in at least another two languages. That way they won’t be able to be pinged for dissent.

Harry dropped the ball when tackled, that's why GWS got done for disputing the call in the first place.
You need to watch it again.
Harry had dropped the ball (in an attempt to kick it) before the tackle was laid. He had no prior opportunity (he was attempting to kick off one step). And the tackle held on after the ball was gone and dragged him down.

What ever your opinion on umpires, I don't envy their job

Watch a footy show or read an article on that incident and its all about the umpire. The fact is the player rolled the dice and lost. If Coniglio shuts up there is no free paid against him.

It wasn't even close to holding the ball so I do believe he owns a lot more of the responsibility for this than the ump.

Yet the ump cops 100% of the media abuse afterwards.

And it is abuse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 3 Blues beat Giants - We're not putting that one in a time capsule

Back