Preview Round 12, 2023 : Port Adelaide v Hawthorn, 1:45pm Sat 2nd June, AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think exclusion means?

It might be the extra hours at work, training and parenting so far this week, but what am I missing from this interaction? Haha

We are winning when Wingard doesn't play.
You said this is a bad example if you want to justify excluding him from the side, despite saying we shouldn't mess with a winning team.

And I mean, I always thought 'exclusion' meant leaving somebody.

Agree. He'll have to play BH then.

He won't get through the test this week on his "injured" calf is my guess.

I think the clubs just massaging it at this stage. Still not sure how to handle it.

Once Chad is sent to Box Hill I don't think he's coming back.

It might be the extra hours at work, training and parenting so far this week, but what am I missing from this interaction? Haha

You said this is a bad example if you want to justify excluding him from the side, despite saying we shouldn't mess with a winning team.

Understandable. Kids are mentally draining pests!

My reference to winning team is the last two weeks, not all the wins this year. I agree, Wingard shouldn't come in as that means someone goes out who has been playing well. But I don't think it's fair to say it's because we have always lost when he's in the side. We probably still would have won all 3 games with him.

As someone who doesn't think Wingard should come straight back into the side, there are many things that contribute more to our W/L ratio than his presence. The 11 less I50s per game, for example.

2023 record with Wingard playing: 0-7
2023 record without Wingard playing: 3-1

Nothing can just justify his inclusion for me.

2 of those 3 wins were against the bottom sides, surely you are not suggesting Wingard’s inclusion would have seen us lose?
He usually has a day out against NM if you look at his past performances and ridiculous to say we are 116 points worse of with him in the team against the Eagles.

Ward should be managed cautiously given his injuries early in his career no rush. Why do people think butler loses his place he’s been kicking a goal a game and putting on great pressure compared to Chad who has done nothing. I don’t care what your reputation is, none should be gifted games. Time for Chad to earn his spot via Box Hill.
Ward has been managed and they have been extra cautious with him, was part of the reason he didn’t play last weekend on the hard Marvel surface.

No chance Wingard comes in for Butler, zero, none, nada. I've been vocally bullish on both Moore and Nash in the early days when every Tom, Dick and Harry were writing them off. Equally as bullish on Butler making it as a small fwd/rotating mid. I'll die on the Butler Hill if I have to
Verdict still out for me on Butler
I thought Nash and Moore would be players on first viewing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind seeing Long come in to match the size of Port's midfield, even if it sees Mackenzie rested. It could be a good learning experience, but I can definitely see Frenchy getting pummeled at stoppages against Port

I wouldn't mind seeing Long come in to match the size of Port's midfield, even if it sees Mackenzie rested. It could be a good learning experience, but I can definitely see Frenchy getting pummeled at stoppages against Port
Outside of Wines it’s not like port have a big midfielders. JHF, Butters, Rozee and Drew are still building their bodies. We have port for size in the midfield.

TBH at times this year Chad has looked almost disinterested/depressed out on the field.

If we are keeping Scrimshaw out of the team due to his workrate then I don't see how we can justify putting Chad straight back into the seniors. Would be a poor look.

Also I just don't think we can carry both Bruest and Wingard in the same forward line as neither of them offer any defensive pressure at all (Bruest can still kick goals though).

FMD, the bullshit you write ... :rolleyes:
I'm not the only one who has picked up on this. He's playing like a guy who's body is totally shot and he knows it.

Why would he be an automatic inclusion? Surely not on his output this year?

Why do we need to treat Chad with kid gloves, I'm always surprised at how defensive some posters are off him on this forum.

He's made a s..t ton of money from the club as probably our highest paid player over 5 years (not to mention the draft picks we lost) and provided very moderate returns and yet if anyone dares question his output they get shot down?

Kosi and James Blanck have 2-3 records this year v a 1-5 record without one of them...its not always causal but it is suggestive!
Yes because although Kosi and Blank aren't world beaters having Kosi in the team lets us play a crucial two man Key Forward line format and Blank in the team lets Sicily off the leash.

But when we have Wingard in the team we end up with two ageing small forwards who can't apply any defensive pressure in Bruest and Wingard and the ball just pings out of our backline straight to the oppos inside 50.

Verdict still out for me on Butler
I thought Nash and Moore would be players on first viewing
Fair enough, your not the only one not sold on him yet. As much as I love his aggression and scoreboard impact, he will need to show more as small forward who can effectively run through the midfield a la Breust in his prime. Unlike Breust, I don't think that he makes it solely as small forward which is one of the toughest gigs in the AFL. Still he is getting games now and looking good so far

TOPS out of curiosity, what is that concerns you most about Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back