Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2023, part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of all the losses we have had the Carlton one now looks the worst. They are truly putrid and if we had them anytime that wasn't in the first 3 rounds then it would have been a fairly easy win even with the VFL midfield we have been putting up.
That, and the GWS loss hurts but can't forget we were absolutely steamrolling WCE before they put up some effort so if we miss finals or top 4 by games or percentage, its those 3 games that killed us.

Lurking on the Carlton forum and they have a 36 page thread dedicated to discussing the ins and outs of their board.

After seeing that it struck me that I genuinely couldn't even have told you who our president is before I googled it two minutes ago.

Now that's not necessarily a good thing but I mean something has to be said for the stability we have at the club. I didn't know who he was because he and the rest of the board have been quietly going about their business. And so has the club on the field.

Meanwhile at blues land it's been 20 plus years of bluing* and infighting. And the fish rots at the head

*Pun fully intended.

The only thing i ever disliked about him was the stupid character reference at the tribunal s*t other than that i ****** love me some Houli so i hope he recovers well.

Agreed. I don't think he was a dirty player (same as I've never thought Gaff, Hawkins etc. are either), but like them he had a moment of madness and deserved what he got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is pure cringe. I wonder how this bloke would like it if someone was to come into his workplace and hurl insults like this at him?

Ironic really that this clown is calling his team's players losers....

$380,000 cash theft alleged

Thats just dumfounding... there have been types in footy that could be described as rouges and miscreants , some of them colourful and loveable, some on the Hall of fame but this is just a very sad ending to a redemptive fairytale.

This is pure cringe. I wonder how this bloke would like it if someone was to come into his workplace and hurl insults like this at him?

WOW... Brave supporters like this ..who needs opposition. Dare say the only jumper he has every had on is one he bought in the shops.

I know Geelong patrons have at time been too soft ..and too lenient on mediocrity. Clapping guys off in the dark times... but how does any thing this is helping...

Thats just dumfounding... there have been types in footy that could be described as rouges and miscreants , some of them colourful and loveable, some on the Hall of fame but this is just a very sad ending to a redemptive fairytale.

Whats the full article say - i only get the 1st paragraph - then the subscription options appear re contine reading etc

Whats the full article say - i only get the 1st paragraph - then the subscription options appear re contine reading etc
The 31-year-old is facing 12 charges including stealing, criminal damage to a property and aggravated burglary.
Police allege he and his brother-in-law, along with four other co-accused, targeted companies in the Perth suburbs of Nollamara, Girrawheen, Beverley, Beechboro and Perth between December 2022 and January 2023, taking money from safes. On one occasion alone, $325,000 was allegedly taken from a currency exchange.

“It’s said that the money is subject to some alleged laundering by the accused and co-accused in various states in Australia,” the police prosecutor said.
During Pickett’s bail application, prosecutors said he was tied to the alleged crimes because his phone “pinged” near one of the burglary locations at the time the offence was being committed.
It’s also alleged a campervan that was used to transfer some of the money interstate was rented in his name, and that clothing worn by the offenders was purchased by Pickett.
Pickett then allegedly received payments of $6000 and $9000 into his bank account.

But defence lawyer David Manera said the case against his client was weak.
“The campervan that was rented in Mr Pickett’s name was taken by co-offenders across Australia,” he said.
“It’s not that Mr Pickett has taken property across Australia in a campervan.
“And the phone tower ping in the area, Your Honour will be aware that type of evidence can often be unreliable.
“All it may show is that that phone may have been in that area, it doesn’t show that the offender may have been in that area.”

Police opposed bail, noting Pickett’s previous jail sentence in 2011, however Manera said he had only committed one criminal offence since then for which he was fined.
He also argued that Pickett was the sole provider for his family, which included his de-facto partner and his three children aged between six and 13.
Manera said, prior to his arrest, Pickett flew to Perth on Saturday for a football match and arranged to meet with detectives at Midland Police Station on Sunday.
“He came in the knowledge that the police wanted to speak with him,” he said.
“He stayed and as he arranged with police to meet with them and attended a meeting with Midland cops yesterday and then was refused bail.”
Pickett was granted bail to return to Melbourne with weekly reporting conditions that will allow him to play football on the weekends.
Richmond will meet with Pickett this week before deciding whether he will be available for selection against St Kilda on Saturday night.
A club source, who wished to remain anonymous because of the sensitivity of the situation, said the club was determined to support Pickett and his family while the matter was dealt with through the courts.
Although the Tigers respect the severity of the charges, the judge in the bail hearing agreed for Pickett to report to police on a Tuesday each week to accommodate the possibility he could continue playing with Richmond, who play two Thursday night matches in the next month.

The Tigers play the Saints this week and then have a bye before they travel to Brisbane to play the Lions at the Gabba. That and their clash with Sydney at the MCG the next round are Thursday night fixtures.
Pickett will appear in court again via video link on August 21.
The source indicated that any decision on his availability would be based on the 31-year-old’s state of mind given the disruption of the past 24 hours when he was held in custody and the publicity surrounding the charges.
He is expected to return to Melbourne with a Richmond official on Monday.
The AFL has been contacted for comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back