Autopsy Cats lose to Lions by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure ill play as the unknown Selwood brother....you know the one that has no footy skills, drinks beer on gamedays and abuses the umpires all day but ill only do it if I can have a hat like the one in the picture above!!!!
Ha!
I’ll happily trade you my Bill Sykes’ hat 🎩

Change “no footy skills” + “abuses umpires” + I reckon you could be the Third Coming of
1690019330742.jpeg

+

1690019464271.jpeg

How do we fix the clearance problem? How do we fix the huge effort one week and lack of effort the following week? We did not come to play today even though there was so much at stake.
We did come to play as always, but I think there was confusion on the game plan or inability to execute, or both.
If any of us think we can play a competitive game of AFL and coast around without getting obliterated physically then we are all crazy.
There are issues.
Last week at the home ground we were unbeatable in the 1st and 3rd. Awesome.
On field leadership to me is key. Who is saying "Cmon boys follow me and let's win this fudger!" and goin hard?
At the moment it's Axe and a few others.
Danger and Jez are clearly down.
And you can't play Stew everywhere.

Without context you'd see under a 2 goal margin vs the top 4 lions at the GABBA and be pretty content with that.
But if anyone does, then they are kidding themselves, we were woeful until the lions stopped (which they tend to do, look at last week and multiple examples over the last 3 years).
Our first half was as bad decision making and execution I've seen from the Cats for a very long time.
Yeah we pushed them in the last quarter, but as usual we were hoping for a miracle comeback after being soundly beaten for 3 quarters and again fell short. Kind of 2021 type football and not close to good enough to threaten in finals.
Need to win 4/5 to finish the year to finish 5th, should make the second week but that's about our level this year.

I hope that Scott, and the players, are anything but content with what they did tonight.

Sure, we were a little better later in the game, but the fact of the matter is that we were abysmal when the whips were cracking early on.

That we got to within 11 points after we extracted the digit a knuckle or two teases us as to what might've been if they'd had a crack from the first bounce.

Our composure and ball use in that first half was horrifically bad, and it should give them pause for thought as professional footballers.

It was good to see Hawkins so angrily animated, and Scott similarly so. Hopefully that inspires some internal conversation to reinforce that such a lack of intensity and composure can't be tolerated if they are to go deep into the finals.

We are a fair way off the top 4 sides I reckon. 2023 not our year.
We're close to Brisbane and Melbourne. Miles off the top 2 currently.

You just can't kick as poorly as we did against a top 4 side Interstate and win. Hawkins set shot soda and Henry's snap the main culprits but also our delivery inside 50 is nowhere near where it was last year.

The thing is, Brisbane and Melbourne are just as flawed. A prelim looks like our ceiling this year and maybe a 2017 or 2021 style one.

Am ok with that loss-won’t dent out percentage too much. Thought we could have been flogged tonight and the fact that we actually could have won it if we’d taken our chance pleases me. Played very ordinary footy for most of the game but lots of the kids worked very hard. Good on em.
Umps were full of it-the free against Atkins in last couple of minutes was a joke. Daniher -such a flopper- exaggerates every contact and gets rewarded regularly for it. Feel like Jezza, who is so out of sorts lately, will come good soon!
Need a big win next week to shore up the %.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did come to play as always, but I think there was confusion on the game plan or inability to execute, or both.
If any of us think we can play a competitive game of AFL and coast around without getting obliterated physically then we are all crazy.
There are issues.
Last week at the home ground we were unbeatable in the 1st and 3rd. Awesome.
On field leadership to me is key. Who is saying "Cmon boys follow me and let's win this fudger!" and goin hard?
At the moment it's Axe and a few others.
Danger and Jez are clearly down.
And you can't play Stew everywhere.

Given it was almost our best side it'd have to be moreso an inability to execute than confusion over the game plan??

There's enough experience out there for them to know the game plan, unless Scott has changed it considerably........

Duncan and Jezza both had another poor game, Bruhn got hurt, our midfield got smashed, our handballing was hospital grade, and our kicking was atrocious.

Our decision making, ball use and composure were simply terrible for a good part of the game, which was unusual for such an experienced side.

Shades of the Sydney game. Show up for the last quarter and nearly win it. I wrote us off completely for the year at half time. Now there is hope (maybe, possibly, conceivably, perhaps).

presuming we beat freo.
the our hard run commences
Port and Bulldogs are average and dire away from home respectively.

Freo's season is done and St Kilda are currently playing worse than they did last year. A 10 point loss to Brisbane at the Gabba doesn't suddenly increase the difficulty of our remaining games.

Collingwood at the G is the remaining mega test.

presuming we beat freo.
the our hard run commences

Here’s what the punters think. We lost to Freo when we had half our team on the sidelines. Darcy who’s dominated us the last couple of times is currently injured. Losing next week would be our worst loss of the season bar none.

IMG_1273.jpeg

We lost 3 quarters and won the second half.
No more comments about our best being good enough, just no more comments.
When we are really good, nothing needs to be said, as in 2022; it seems that the coach and others are trying to drum up our players' confidence by making comments.
We will get what we deserve this year, and fortunately many top 8 aspirants play each other as well.
With respect Dubs, you were pessimistic until Grand Final day 2022.

You're not really in a position to judge others faith in our side.

With respect Dubs, you were pessimistic until Grand Final day 2022.

You're not really in a position to judge others faith in our side.
I will never drum us up to be the danger, but our personnel doing it for the media- unnecessary and bound to backfire.
Anyway, good that many of you like to hear that sort of bravado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back