Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2023, part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very similar to last year

They won their tight matches during the season, and their two finals losses were by a combined total of 7 points

There's no doubt they're looking good again this season, but another thing to do it in finals

Yes - but thats what makes their effort to date even more meritorious - because mentally you would think it would be very hard for them to back it up again this year . How do you think it would have been for the Cats this year - if they had missed out last year - mentally it would have been very hard to regroup . Look at Tom Hawkins when the siren rang in last years GF - he cried uncontrollably

Personally if Geel aernt in it - and Rich and Haw they can miss out forever no matter where they finish on the ladder - then alls good - then i actually like the team that finishes on the top of the ladder - the number 1 rated team winning the Premiership

Look at the body position and balance of Elliot when he kicked that goal from 50 last night in the dying minutes:

1690065691965.png

50 metres out on the boundary, on a 30-degree tilt to get the momentum through the ball and splits the middle. What a beauty that guy is for the Pies.

Saw the best 2 teams in the comp go head to head last night.
Pies in Adelaide came off the canvas in the last quarter to snatch victory from Power's grasp on their dung heap.
Baring injuries, Pies in a canter on the G.
And all this without a decent Ruckman. Yep Cameron is just another Nank without the agro.
Brilliant mids and half backs make them very dangerous & potent.
Those Daicos brothers are simply two special players.

Pies will win the next 3 or 4, it’s going to be a Lions/Hawks type dynasty. Such a good team to watch unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Got to respect 3-peats.

Maintaining the rage, the focus, the discipline, the game plan for 3 successive premierships is a hell of an achievement.

Something beyond our reach, even with the teams we've had.

Collingwood were older than us on the weekend, average age 27.75 years.

Yeah, I hate this myth that Collingwood is some youthful up and coming side. Of course the Daicos brothers are brilliant and they have some players in their prime like Moore and JDG, but their veterans are as important to them as ours are to us. By the start of next season Pendles will be 36, Sidebottom and Cox 33, Elliott, Mihocek and Howe all 31-33 yo.

By contrast Port’s veterans seem to be the ones holding them back… Boak looks done, Jonas can’t even get a game, Dixon is constantly injured.

Collingwood are obviously better placed than anyone to win this year, but the comp is too even to predict a dynasty for anyone.

Yeah, I hate this myth that Collingwood is some youthful up and coming side. Of course the Daicos brothers are brilliant and they have some players in their prime like Moore and JDG, but their veterans are as important to them as ours are to us. By the start of next season Pendles will be 36, Sidebottom and Cox 33, Elliott, Mihocek and Howe all 31-33 yo.

By contrast Port’s veterans seem to be the ones holding them back… Boak looks done, Jonas can’t even get a game, Dixon is constantly injured.

Collingwood are obviously better placed than anyone to win this year, but the comp is too even to predict a dynasty for anyone.
I remember reading here Melbourne were going to be unbeatable for a few years. I'll give the Pies this year for sure. Next year is a world away.
There is no doubt talent without the hunger won't cut it. Last year Geelong was hungry. Both Port and Pies played like teams who haven't had premiership in a while.

Well, they haven't won it yet. :winkv1:

But if they do, or even get another, we'll still have to see if they can manage their salary cap with so many 'winners' on the list. Sure expensive elders will leave, but will they throw years and cash at someone to keep them......again? :smilev1:

The betting companies should open a line on that. :grinv1:

Port have been rebuilding without bottoming out similar to ourselves and Sydney.
Last time Port won less than 10 games in a season was 2012 which is next best after us as we've not won less than 10 games in a season since 2003.

Port have done better at rebuilding without bottoming out than people give them credit for. Everyone gives Sydney credit but they've done it with cola and academies while being the big brother club in NSW.
Port have done it without any cola or academies while being the little brother club in SA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Predictions of dynasties tend to be, ironically, fairly predictably wrong.

The WCE is a broken club with arrogance and egos holding it back. This club needs a cleanout from the board down. It's a blight on the competition as it currently stands.

Also, the Bomber's performance against the WB devalues our win against them a few weeks ago. The Bombers are not as good as everyone has been saying. They play Norf & the WCE twice this year (like Carlton), which has helped them be higher on the ladder.

This is truly a compromised competition.

Collingwood aren’t exactly young, they aren’t winning 3-4 of the next 5 flags.
Still questionable they even win this year , just takes one bad final game to derail their year that’s a lot of pressure on them with the big expectations that they are certainties for the flag

The WCE is a broken club with arrogance and egos holding it back. This club needs a cleanout from the board down. It's a blight on the competition as it currently stands.

Also, the Bomber's performance against the WB devalues our win against them a few weeks ago. The Bombers are not as good as everyone has been saying. They play Norf & the WCE twice this year (like Carlton), which has helped them be higher on the ladder.

This is truly a compromised competition.
On the plus side, it might force the AFL's hand in making the fixture more fair in general in future seasons. The whole concept of playing certain teams twice etc is a broken system. Imagine if you scraped into finals by a few percent because you got to beat up on West Coast by 200+ points.

On the plus side, it might force the AFL's hand in making the fixture more fair in general in future seasons. The whole concept of playing certain teams twice etc is a broken system. Imagine if you scraped into finals by a few percent because you got to beat up on West Coast by 200+ points.

There's no imagining it - Carlton are doing exactly that this year. Curnow has been handed the Coleman and AA selection as a result of it too.

Complete farce.

That's optimistic. They seem more interested in finding ways to compromise the fairness of the comp even further.

GWS have gone past Gold Coast.
It's disappointing for the Suns given they've rebuilding for years and received draft handouts as recently as 2019.
Hardwick going to the Suns would be a disaster for them given he's clearly burnt out. It would be like Denis Pagan or Mick Malthouse at Carlton.

GWS have gone past Gold Coast.
It's disappointing for the Suns given they've rebuilding for years and received draft handouts as recently as 2019.
Hardwick going to the Suns would be a disaster for them given he's clearly burnt out. It would be like Denis Pagan or Mick Malthouse at Carlton.

Not sure I buy the 'burnt out' excuse.

I just don't see how a guy goes from 'burnt out' to 'keen to coach again' in 5 weeks flat.

I reckon he's reading from a script.

Not sure I buy the 'burnt out' excuse.

I just don't see how a guy goes from 'burnt out' to 'keen to coach again' in 5 weeks flat.

I reckon he's reading from a script.
You could tell he was genuinely burnt out coaching Richmond this year.
The reason why he's now singing a different tune is because AFL house rocked up to his house with a dump truck full of cash.
Hence why I think he'd be a disaster for the Suns as it has Pagan/Malthouse written all over it.
Good for Hardwick though as he gets to top up his super and enjoy the warm weather.

The reason why he's now singing a different tune is because AFL house rocked up to his house with a dump truck full of cash.
Hence why I think he'd be a disaster for the Suns as it has Pagan/Malthouse written all over it.
Good for Hardwick though as he gets to top up his super and enjoy the warm weather.
**** him and the suns perfect disaster for both I’m all for it

* him and the suns perfect disaster for both I’m all for it
AFL house should have learned their lesson from when they came to Ablett Jr with a dump truck full of cash.
It seems they haven't though as they've realised the extra draft handouts from 2019 haven't worked, so they've decided they'll try again with attempting to buy success for the Suns.

Funny how mental fatigue can suddenly be erased with $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back