Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2023, part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a new reverse mozz attempt

Oh well. That’s that then. Dees manage to overpower the plucky young Crows.
We might be looking at a low bar for 8th.

Essendon are imploding. St Kilda likewise especially if they lose to NM today. Adelaide and Sydney a bit far back but could trouble others.

Carlton and Richmond are on good runs but have tough games ahead. Likewise for GWS. 12.5 wins will be enough. Might 12?

For Melbourne, this and the Gold Coast game are two of the luckiest escapes you'll ever see. With a hefty dose of awful umpiring thrown in for good measure. Add Brisbane imploding last week too. Most scratchy top 4 side since Geelong in 2014 or Hawthorn in 2016/18. Any elimination final winner who faces them in a semi would be licking their lips.

Rioli gets two for his slap of Murphy (who has a very punchable head mind you).

Misses our game now.
TBH I thought that should deserve an extra large fine and that's all. Footy action, guy is holding on and you give him a light slap. Guy went down way too easily. If it was real then he should have gone for a concussion protocol.
But it was the HEAD!
Full disclosure: I also support allowing hockey style fights to police the cheapshots and add to the spectacle. :grinv1::winkv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an awful round of footy. Melbourne should have been rolled.
We should have won.
Could have.
Should have.
Didn’t unfortunately.
Yep. The hopeful factor is that not much splits the sides between 3rd and 13th. Brisbane's run home is pretty good so if Port slip up even once, you have a mentally soft side in 2nd place as well. There's twists and turns to come. Collingwood comfortable favourite for now.

For Melbourne, this and the Gold Coast game are two of the luckiest escapes you'll ever see. With a hefty dose of awful umpiring thrown in for good measure. Add Brisbane imploding last week too. Most scratchy top 4 side since Geelong in 2014 or Hawthorn in 2016/18. Any elimination final winner who faces them in a semi would be licking their lips.
If we finished 5th or 8th we could potentially play them week 2 if we won week 1.
But unfortunately week 3 would be an interstate final and there’s no way we would be winning that.

Watching Saints and Roos, which is a messy affair, but the Kangas playing with more dash and dare than what we did for 3 quarters last night is just sad.

Of course, it's dependent on who you play - and the Saints are toast - but still...

Watching Saints and Roos, which is a messy affair, but the Kangas playing with more dash and dare than what we did for 3 quarters last night is just sad.

Of course, it's dependent on who you play - and the Saints are toast - but still...

It's not the size of the dog........

If we finished 5th or 8th we could potentially play them week 2 if we won week 1.
But unfortunately week 3 would be an interstate final and there’s no way we would be winning that.
There's a few different ways it could mix up.

I know Port should win next week Vs Adelaide but an upset wouldn't surprise me and then losing to Geelong would make it 4 losses in a row. I still see them as clearly the 2nd best team, but those are two banana peel games in a row for them that would likely see them slip to 4th.

Melbourne and Brisbane aren't convincing. Therefore I'd rather them finish ahead of Port so that a prelim against Port is less likely.

Any side would be truly, truly lucky to meet Melbourne or Brisbane in a prelim.

St Kilda's brave quest to be the worst side in the AFL to ever play finals goes on.

It's infuriating.

I'm trying to think of some of the worst finalists from previous seasons and I can't come up with any team as bad as this. I suppose maybe the 2013 Carlton team, since they technically finished 9th and only made finals due to Essendon's cheating. But even that team's ceiling was higher than this Saints team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back