Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

does anyone else have acquaintances or friends or work colleagues or whatever that still don't get it? genuinely a guy i talk to at work about port said "it's almost a good thing" RE: the brisbane loss. "now we get to play the worst team in the finals at home, then we get to play collingwood who didn't look that good (vs melbourne). all i can do is say "yeah, yeah, true yeah" as i die inside

does anyone else have acquaintances or friends or work colleagues or whatever that still don't get it? genuinely a guy i talk to at work about port said "it's almost a good thing" RE: the brisbane loss. "now we get to play the worst team in the finals at home, then we get to play collingwood who didn't look that good (vs melbourne). all i can do is say "yeah, yeah, true yeah" as i die inside
It really is a cult, isn't it?

Jared Polec appointed coach of Hoppers Crossing Football Club

Kochie should resign over this.
Shocking news.

72355325-12217033-image-a-58_1687314865743.jpg

Former Port players Jarrad Redden, Matt Appleton and Jack Elsworthy in the Yorke Peninsula League team of the year.
378161604_821120729654554_7396796663987223154_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a made up team, for a movie or TV series.
Some things just stick in the recesses of the mind, but the only reason I have heard of Hoppers Crossing was because my grandfather had the rear driver's side door of his Vanguard repaired there after an altercation with a truck in Horesham in the mid 1950's.

It probably had something to do with it being so soldiers bold sitting in the back seat for something like the 4 or 5 hours of the remainder of the trip with the door rattling like crazy and with no glass in it. :'(

Look I know Ill get smashed for this, but it is just my honest feeling.

we are winning games no doubt, but rarely are they convincing. The mark of a championship team is playing poorly and still winning and looks like we are doing that.

BUT - I just cannot see us beating Collingwood, or Adelaide for that matter. When they re on, they put teams to the sword and quickly. We don't. yea ok maybe with Hawthorn for that first half but apart from that, I dunno.

Anyone seen anything different since rounds 2 and 3 and thinks we can knock those two off?

I honestly think they are the two between us and wining the flag.
This post from back in July has aged really well. :thumbsu: Dead-set on the mark about Port under Hinkley ... Flakey! The 13 in a row just papered over the cracks.

Mind you, it is more than just Collingwood & the Crows that were stopping us, add Brisbane, Carlton, and even Geelong having a go!

Last edited:
No hopers line makes an appearance attributed to Barassi in this obit: The Coach: Ron Barassi’s former players speak about the man behind the legend.

From 'the Coach' published in 1977. Was that a Barassi export to Port or vice versa?
Barassi pinched his game plan from Oatey, so I'd say it's highly likely he pinched the no-hopers line from Fos. Fos and Norm Smith had a close relationship, often playing pre-season games against each other in the late 50s - Barassi learnt from Smith. Fos was coaching for a decade before Barassi started so likely that his philosophies were well developed before Barassi's.

I mean make it 3 GF and it’s a great achievement, even two and it’s good. It shows a club needs to strike when its performance cluster. Only Geelong have gone through a cycle really and then won another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back