Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1908990

Hard to believe this bloke doesn’t have the nous or smarts to outwit the Scotts, Kingsleys, Hardwicks and McRaes of the world when the whips are cracking.
Looking forward to seeing him get outwitted by Justin Longmuir next week.

Remember

(Supporters) "they can put their two cents worth but that's all it's worth two cents"

~ Charlie DixonView attachment 1910260

Unbelievable disregard towards Supporters
Hands up all those who plan on attending Charlie's farewell game.....

Hands up all those who plan on attending Charlie's farewell game.....
scott foley pout GIF by HULU

The ‘poor Ken hasn’t had the cattle’ narrative is nauseating, isn’t it?

Could’ve plugged Jeremy Cameron, Max Gawn and Tom Stewart into the team that took the field in the 2021 Prelim, and they’re probably not overcoming the 70-odd point shellacking the hotel detainees delivered.

As gutless, lazy, complacent, scared of physical contact/‘save yourself for next week fellas!’, and underprepared a performance you’ll ever see from a red hot favourite in a home final.
Such is Ken's preeminence as a modern day master coach, I have no doubt that he could have found a way for 2007 Geelong to miss the 8.

Such is Ken's preeminence as a modern day master coach, I have no doubt that he could have found a way for 2007 Geelong to miss the 8.

What do youse expect me to do with Ablett, Scarlett, Harley, Mackie, Enright, Bartel, Johnson, Selwood, Chapman, stokes, ling and Kelly??

We can't expect to win carrying battlers like Josh Hunt, David wojcinski, Cam Mooney and Brad ottens!

We only had 9 all Australians that year!

What do youse expect me to do with Ablett, Scarlett, Harley, Mackie, Enright, Bartel, Johnson, Selwood, Chapman, stokes, ling and Kelly??

We can't expect to win carrying battlers like Josh Hunt, David wojcinski, Cam Mooney and Brad ottens!

We only had 9 all Australians that year!

The more I think about his experience as an assistant there over that period, the more I think it fried his understanding of what it really takes to mould a premiership team/dynasty.

Because he had a lot to do with Steve Johnson around that time, and witnessed his transition from p¡sshead in danger of throwing it all away to Norm Smith Medallist in the space of months, it’s calcified a belief that merely being a ‘good person’ bordering on puritan is a key virtue (as opposed to obviously maximising the insane natural talent the guy had).

There’s also the over-emphasis on harvesting as much talent in volume as possible, as opposed to developing systems, tactics and players to get the most out of what he already has.

Yeah we’ve never had a Matthew Scarlett, but that’s not an excuse to populate the defence with a half-dozen Andrew Mackies or run an ageing Steven King (Scott Lycett) into the ground — and I don’t ever remember prime-Joel Corey marooned in an outside flanker role to give David Johnson and Kane Tenace more engine room burn, like he bizarrely punted Travis Boak to the edges in 2017/18.

And after the missteps and backslides of 2005-R5 2007, “working harder for longer” became paramount — ‘We clearly had the talent but they didn’t all perform consistently!’

It wasn’t that this was but one of myriad factors that saw them go from wasted talent to a futuristic panzer division in the space of one afternoon (at 2-3, the 157pt victory over Terry Wallace’s Richmond in Round 6 2007), it was that they finally started WERKINHARDAFERLONGA!

I don’t know if any or all of that makes sense actually, but for the love of Gary Ablett Senior can we please just fast forward to when this bozo leaves and hopefully we’re not once again left to sift through the ash?

The more I think about his experience as an assistant there over that period, the more I think it fried his understanding of what it really takes to mould a premiership team/dynasty.

Because he had a lot to do with Steve Johnson around that time, and witnessed his transition from p¡sshead in danger of throwing it all away to Norm Smith Medallist in the space of months, it’s calcified a belief that merely being a ‘good person’ bordering on puritan is a key virtue (as opposed to obviously maximising the insane natural talent the guy had).

There’s also the over-emphasis on harvesting as much talent in volume as possible, as opposed to developing systems, tactics and players to get the most out of what he already has.

Yeah we’ve never had a Matthew Scarlett, but that’s not an excuse to populate the defence with a half-dozen Andrew Mackies or run an ageing Steven King (Scott Lycett) into the ground — and I don’t ever remember prime-Joel Corey marooned in an outside flanker role to give David Johnson and Kane Tenace more engine room burn, like he bizarrely punted Travis Boak to the edges in 2017/18.

And after the missteps and backslides of 2005-R5 2007, “working harder for longer” became paramount — ‘We clearly had the talent but they didn’t all perform consistently!’

It wasn’t that this was but one of myriad factors that saw them go from wasted talent to a futuristic panzer division in the space of one afternoon (at 2-3, the 157pt victory over Terry Wallace’s Richmond in Round 6 2007), it was that they finally started WERKINHARDAFERLONGA!

I don’t know if any or all of that makes sense actually, but for the love of Gary Ablett Senior can we please just fast forward to when this bozo leaves and hopefully we’re not once again left to sift through the ash?

He's a good assistant coach , that's his max level not a 12 plus year head coach

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

Even leaving aside the fact they were probably on danksy's good stuff, you don't exactly need the brilliant mind of ken Hinkley in order to achieve success with that group. Classic case of right place, right time for simple ken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their senior coach was literally a meth addict. It would've been practically impossible to not win premierships with that group. Second only to early 00s Brisbane in my time watching footy for all time talent on every line.

The Cats 07 side is an oddbod of assistant coaches. Sanderson and McCartney sacked. Other clubs thought the secret sauce of the Cats squad could be extracted but it seems it was a dynasty list matched with an inferior coaching group.

Hinkley the only coach of the lot who's inability to work alongside other assistants and father figure persons is seen as worthy of praise and remuneration. For some reason we haven't figured it out.

It took an outsider in Chris Scott who whilst learning from Lethal at the Lions was able to deliver 2 flags across decades and seems an exemplary communicator and coach.

He's a good assistant coach , that's his max level not a 12 plus year head coach

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar
He's possibly even a good coach for fast tracking a rebuild, but in the AFL where every coach is appointed with the intention to win a team a Premiership, and no coach would have the humility to accept that isn't their role.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The coaching group at the cats doesn't seem that strong in retrospect, but Bomber certainly was ruthless, and as a result the players were unnaturally strong with a bizarre amount of running power and big foreheads.

Gary Ablett Junior going from a mercurial small forward with a small tank to a relentless cyborg fuelled by a nuclear reactor in the space of one preseason, all because Leading Teams directed his teammates to bully him to do so, is one of the darnedest bits of good fortune.

The coaching group at the cats doesn't seem that strong in retrospect, but Bomber certainly was ruthless, and as a result the players were unnaturally strong with a bizarre amount of running power and big foreheads.

To much Nerve Tonic.

Even leaving aside the fact they were probably on danksy's good stuff, you don't exactly need the brilliant mind of ken Hinkley in order to achieve success with that group. Classic case of right place, right time for simple ken.
Robinson didn't start working with Dank until 2009.

It was Shane Charters in 07/08.

Gary Ablett Junior going from a mercurial small forward with a small tank to a relentless cyborg fuelled by a nuclear reactor in the space of one preseason, all because Leading Teams directed his teammates to bully him to do so, is one of the darnedest bits of good fortune.
It was Jesus

Don't want to suggest that era of Geelong is overrated cause it definitely isn't, but we gloss over how average the forward line was.

The highest scoring team going around, belting teams for fun, and none of them got close to a Coleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back