No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting question asked on Reddit.

When did the scarf out the car window following a win tradition begin?

I know there's posters here more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. I've done it all my footy going life. But does anyone here know when or why it started?

Interesting question asked on Reddit.

When did the scarf out the car window following a win tradition begin?

I know there's posters here more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. I've done it all my footy going life. But does anyone here know when or why it started?
This is just my guess, but soccer scarves began in early 1900s to show team spirit and keep warm. Then with advent of motor vehicles, somewhat more open and slow, it would have made sense to hang them on the car as a sign of a win (just as there would have been banners and flags out of windows). And I'm guessing it's sort of evolved from there... And I'm guessing it's followed as a tradition for many other sports as well.

This is just my guess, but soccer scarves began in early 1900s to show team spirit and keep warm. Then with advent of motor vehicles, somewhat more open and slow, it would have made sense to hang them on the car as a sign of a win (just as there would have been banners and flags out of windows). And I'm guessing it's sort of evolved from there... And I'm guessing it's followed as a tradition for many other sports as well.

I want the exact date dammit!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isadora Duncan died in 1927 when the scarf that she was wearing got caught in the open spoke wheels of the car she was in which broke her neck.

Does that help?

:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve kept the map of Tassie and effectively the state of origin jumper as they’re trying to unify an ununified state with significant north/south distaste and animosity.

Guaranteed 10 years in that jumper will change significantly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back