C: Miers, Parfitt, Duncan
FO: Blics, Bowes, Bruhn
HF: O. Henry, S. Neale, J. Cameron
F: Dempsey, Hawkins, Stengle
INT: O'Connor, Close, Clark, Tuohy
Sub: Mannagh

EMG:

Conway (needs a block of VFL games)
Mullin (did a lot right, but a strong group to break into)
Knevitt (needs a good block of VFL, but definitely in the MC's plans)
I don't mind that but would be playing Tuohy as the sub over Mannagh as he is going to need managing if he is going to be useful over the whole year.

Great team performance. Blicavs is a nightmare matchup for opposition midfielders. Thought Parfitt was incredible.
Clark very solid. Back 6 were all exceptional.

Will be very interested to see how Conway goes in the VFL today. Surely he gets a run against Hawks.
Who comes in next week for Stanley (he is going to need a rest against Hawks or Dogs) could depend on who has the better game today Neale or Conway.

Stanley was terrible, hardly touched the ball, looked like a slow moving barge most of the night.

Parfitt is way ahead of Clark on tonight's performance. Clark really struggled against the big boys tonight, especially in contests, they brushed him aside on several occasions. Would not be surprised to see Clark given extended time in the Magoos. Parfitt was in Geelong's best and should be in the best 22 next game. Mullin still has a lot to learn, how to tackle for one. He has potential but is a bit lost at AFL level. Mannagh is lively but struggles with the speed of AFL. Maybe a good substitute at this stage.

I'm with you re Parfitt and Clark.

Clark continually lost his feet (like he did last week) and when in a pack he was just given no room. It's only his 3rd game (2nd really) so I don't want to be too harsh but everyone talking about keeping Clark in and Parfitt out have rocks in their head.

Danger looking after Knevitt, end of, you’re not putting a bloke on your shoulders with an iffy hamstring.

Agree it was weird he carried off Stewart if he was injured, but there’s no way he took himself off when the game was technically still in the balance just to get Knevitt on. 0 chance

Watching the replay and noticing that part of the reason it was a scrappy game is the umpires not paying enough free kicks. It leads to an increase in illegal tackles, hanging on to the ball too long, congestion.

Had to shake my head at all the HTB decisions they missed last night, and the first one they paid was when an Adelaide player dragged the ball back in and pinned it to his Geelong opponent.

What oppo club supporters who say 'oh just middling and need to do a proper rebuild', forget, is that showing this consistent intent no matter where we are in our list build, is what continually attracts elite players to our club.

Hawks lose this weekend, Pies go down the drain, and we're in the Finals again...wonder what a guy like Smith, or Macrae, or say a young Will Phillips, or even Harley Reid at West Coast, think about that?

That's the thing that always gets overlooked - our ability to attract players and continually keep turning over our list, hinges on the ability to show that we're a club who will always aim to compete. Old or young, we don't things do conventionally, and we are always in the conversation. Oppo players (again old or young) who think about coming here, they know this. It's what makes us such a destination club.

This is exactly the point.

Cats say to older and/or younger talent, come to us, we won’t pay you quite as much but we will take you deep into the finals and possibly a premiership - just look at our record under Chris Scott and prior to that. During the week you can go surfing, fishing, golfing, whatever suits you best. We treat you like an adult.

Our you could go to the Tigers, Hawks, Bombers, Dogs, etc for an extra $50k or $75k post tax - your call.

I know what I’d decide.

The only other team I’d consider is Sydney but then you have cost of living issues.

I genuinely can’t believe the player development of GFC. It’s head and shoulders above the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Outstanding win! Feeling like we have a pretty deep squad this year. My only gripe was mannagh - did some good things and will be an astute pick up, but needs to learn we don't need heroes, team goals and unselfishness is more important. You have gryan miers as a mentor
OH started the same way and now plays the Geelong way, Shaun will fall into line as well👍

Had to shake my head at all the HTB decisions they missed last night, and the first one they paid was when an Adelaide player dragged the ball back in and pinned it to his Geelong opponent.
It was genuinely infuriating.

4 minutes to go in the 1st quarter, O'Brien is gang-tackled in our forward 50 and drops the ball - Play on

Dempsey was pushed in the back (or dangerous tackle) in the goal square - Play on

Deliberate out-of-bounds not paid against Adelaide in the first quarter (or 2nd), no crowd noise so it wasn't paid. Then they paid 2 against us which were clearly not deliberate.

There were so many other examples.

Blatent bias.

Better than we think!
Everyone celebrating great win by undermanned Cats
Players having outstanding games... blah! blah! blah!
Truth is : Tonight was a good but standard Cats game
Sure Stewart was outstanding... but he does it regularly
The player that missed are good but not great players
Duncan is great pass kick but has slowed considerably
Atkins is a fearless inside bull but average distributer
Bruhn a rapidly improving hard ball getter, average kick
Parfitt worked hard, however remains a slow poor kick
Kittens showed, they are not irreplaceable champions
There is something special about the Cat youngsters.
Clark is a rapidly improving high possession machine.
Dempsey had limited touches but used them smartly.
Mullin will likely turn out to be the best of the Irish trio
Take notice, Cats are building the future stars already.
Keep playing kids, they will be needed come September.
Kittens may overtake older Cats sooner that we think.

Cats to remain competitive and still building???
Now. that's a very happy thought... aaahhh!!!

cat smile.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good analysis.

Also at the ground it felt like we defended that short kick really well all over the ground. Did you notice that too? This helps defenders as there was obvious pressure up the ground. I think our all team defence is really good early. And I think part of that is the mixture of youth. None of this shows on stat sheet but you have Dempsey Clark Mannagh close Miers etc all filling spots and constantly moving to close gaps.

I was standing on the hill, so not always the easiest to observe what was happening on the field

What I did notice though and it pissed me off at times following a behind is that we seemed reluctant to man up in our half of the ground - we definitely upped the pressure from the wing to through our defensive half, but at times it felt like Adelaide had a few too many options for the first or second kick from our end

It's where I think we miss a player like Rohan who's just manic on pressuring the kicker after a behind - we don't seem to have another player with quite that same intent

Jack Henry is such a critical player to our backline. It all just works better when he is playing well. Makes his teammates better.

It was genuinely infuriating.

4 minutes to go in the 1st quarter, O'Brien is gang-tackled in our forward 50 and drops the ball - Play on

Dempsey was pushed in the back (or dangerous tackle) in the goal square - Play on

Deliberate out-of-bounds not paid against Adelaide in the first quarter (or 2nd), no crowd noise so it wasn't paid. Then they paid 2 against us which were clearly not deliberate.

There were so many other examples.

Blatent bias.
I'm not sure it's bias, more incompetence.

I thought Close was excellent last night, Clark wasn't.
Clark is going to be very good for us, he’s not getting a lot of it at the moment but he’s halving a lot of contests and stopping the opposition spreading.
That’s the role CS mentioned last week and it has a positive flow on effect for us. He’s a workhorse who never gives up , runs both ways and reads the game very well.
The Selwood comparisons are very apt✅

And the award for the crappiest footy take ever goes to....

Nah, he’s actually right. There were at least 13 times last night Stewart was alone without a man with the footy in his hands while a Crows player stood with his arms up 5 metres away. This guy is on the money.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How good was Ollie Henry here? 2 on 1 in the marking contest and if the ball got over the back the Crows would've rebounded, yet he still managed to get the ball down to the front of the pack to two loose teammates.

Really, what makes you say that?

We've got the Hawks in 10 days, and he had no ice on it after the game...nor did he appear to be in any discomfort walking around after the game. I mean hell, he helped carry 90kg Stewart off the ground; can't be that bad.

Might miss the Hawks game because we're conservative, but I reckon he's back the following week.
Strong history with this club, and with Dangerfield, of injuries being worse than they first appear.

Why Dempsey missed his set shot snap at goal.

Goal Snat Dempsey.JPG Goal Snap Gazza Jr.jpg

Ollie has his grip all wrong
Little master shows how.
Kicking side Hand at rear
Ball pointed directly at goal
Kick the rear third of ball.
Image flipped for comparison

Cats please fix this A.S.A.P.
This is a must know skill.
Can't believe it's not taught

Champion Data Statistics
Past two seasons: