Preview Round 5, 2024: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Saturday 13 April, 1:45pm AEST *GARCIA DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brown is more of a mid-sized forward though and rather mobile so I would say a medium defender would be more appropriate for him.
Yeah because we have a plethora of medium sized defenders available 😂

You would imagine Stocker to Greene.

Wilkie probably gets Brown. But Riccardi Hogan + Cadman says we need another tall

Brown is more of a mid-sized forward though and rather mobile so I would say a medium defender would be more appropriate for him.
He's proved to be an awkward match up for teams this year due to his pace and size. Plays fast as a pressure forward with Daniels and Snooze but has been taking pack marks as well.
A few teams have been gambling on playing their intercept defenders on Cadman to help as he isn't as proven.

Gonna be a great match up

Yeah because we have a plethora of medium sized defenders available 😂

You would imagine Stocker to Greene.

Wilkie probably gets Brown. But Riccardi Hogan + Cadman says we need another tall
Yeah this is the issue. I think Webster would have been a good matchup for either Brown/Greene but with only Stocker really left playing a proper 1:1 defender we will have to choose one of them. I think Wilkie and Battle will likely play on whoever is the most dangerous looking of the mid sized forwards and swap with Cadman etc..

Funnily enough Toby Greene doesnt kick a lot of goals against us, only averages a bit over 1 a game when playing us so we seem to curb his impact reasonably well.

Any chance Caminiti out and bring Hayes in with Hayes sharing the ruck and resting Ro in defence to help against the Giants forward talls? Hayes brings a ruck/rover element to the team. Maybe too early for Hayes?
must be too early for Hayes, he's had only 1 vfl match in 18 months now. will probably require continuous 3-4 games before even being considered. thats what i would have thought.

Breaking even in the midfield is not the issue. Top 5 possession winners both sides

GWS
Green 35, Whitfield 31, Ash 31, Kelly 27 Daniels 19

Saints
Steele 37, Marshall 31, Hill 29, Sinclair 25,Ross, NWM 23

i50 Saints 56 to GWS 54

Its the nature of our i50's that cost us. And once again that comes back to the nature of our clearances - and that then comes back our clearance technique.

We swarm - we win the ball - we handball it 2 metres to someone who is immediately under pressure so its hack kick.

That's why I'd love to have Libba in our side - a bloke who has enough vision to see a player more than 2 metres away AND more importantly he knows that the "handball" rules changed years ago and now you can sling the ball to someone just as long your other makes the slightest of contact with the ball.

Clear the contest to the likes of Hill, NWM even Bonner and guess what - i50 technique improves.

Agree, most key indicators were fairly equal give or take on the day, but the compelling differences from the loss were:
  • 41% to 55% efficiency inside 50.
  • 9 to 15 marks inside 50 (we won the contested marks 19-11 and overall marks 81-77).
  • 77 to 70 turnovers and 71 to 77 intercepts (relatively minor differences).

They have better disposal than us. They cut deep with their cleanliness. They don't need to run like crazy mother f*ckers for the duration of a game, because their skills are superior to other teams. In saying that, I think they're just as fit as we are regardless, and will match us in that area. They are a well drilled, having a plan for most eventualities. They have quality and talent on every line and are more seasoned than us.
We'll hang in there I reckon, but we're nowhere near where they are. If we fade out for a quarter and a half, like we have in most games, they'll bang in eight goals.
We'll lose it in the middle. They'll sit on guys like WangMil, so will need Sinc's to hit his straps for any hope in moving the ball from the back. Hopefully King is used around the ground as an outlet through the middle and forward of centre, rather than close to goal. We look better when we use his skills...rather than have him sulking in the goal square.
Probably worth remembering too that we're only good for 9 goals a game this year. It won't be enough. We need to be 3-4 goals better each game to be taken seriously as a threat to teams in this tier.
I don't think we have it in us...but would love to be proven wrong.
GWS by anything from 15-30 points.

Not a great deal to report today, was relatively wet under foot so there were a few hairy (slippery) moments.

Paddy, along with Hastie and Lance were doing a drill at the far end of the ground with the guys playing VFL. He looked rusty blowing out the cobwebs a bit, skillswise was fine but just seemed to be trying to hard to get positioning right to get the ball. Halfway through the drill I saw he limp off with what looked like a lower leg issue. Not sure if ankle, calf or whatever but hopefully he is ok. I saw him earlier trying to stretch in between drills so perhaps it's just soreness/tightness that he didnt want to risk. Obviously he didn't participate in match sim as he was already in the rooms by then.

King and Howard got up gingerly from a marking contest, talk about heart in mouth stuff. Max did some run throughs and seemed ok.

Keeler, with his physique and the glimpse of 7 on his back reminds me so much of a teller Nas. The guy has so much class.

Mitchito has the serious yips, his goal kicking practice was dead set shocking. Missing badly to the left, then right, rinse and repeat. Everyone focusing heavily on goalkicking, love to see it. I'll put the moz on him but Darce is a bloody good shot for goal, didn't help Owens' cause that Wilson was slotting them from everywhere he was missing them from.

Howard, he is such a good trainer, sounds dumb, but without the pressure and second guessing of a game situation he looks so good.

Was great to see Henry and Clark running laps. Clark, whilst he'll never have arm definition, certainly looks bigger across his upper torso. Love seeing Henry back, he is such a breath of fresh air around the place!

I've got a feeling about this week, shackles feel like they are off a bit - no expectations of winning I think we might see a surprise result this week!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does that mean that there will be an unforced change?

Assume windy is in for someone maybe Camma.
Jones - sub for hastie and Huge for maybe Butler??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back