Preview Round 5, 2024: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Saturday 13 April, 1:45pm AEST *GARCIA DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not that our defence is man on man but defensively it would be

Cordy - Hogan
Battle - Cadman/Riccardi
Wilkie - Greene
Stocker - Bedford

The only problem with that is that that means either Sinclair or NWM will need to be playing on Callum Brown

Yeah, so that’d require Stock to play on Bedford, which is kind of my point that the team requires Stocker structurally,

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not that our defence is man on man but defensively it would be

Cordy - Hogan
Battle - Cadman/Riccardi
Wilkie - Greene
Stocker - Bedford

The only problem with that is that that means either Sinclair or NWM will need to be playing on Callum Brown

Hope we are a big tighter on Riccardi this week.

We made him look like Wayne Carey in that final.

I think this game will give us a really good indication of where we sit relative to teams that are challenging. We're going to have to minimise our mistakes and increase our scoring efficiency just to stay in the game.

We pushed a resurgent Cats all the way to the end and then struggled against two battling clubs. TBH, I'm a little nervous that we're going to have our underbelly exposed this week. If we start slowly like we did last week I have doubts about our ability to work our way back against the Giants.

it's a shame we don't get to see the team as we wanted with Henry and Dow out, Crouch and Dougal doubly so.

It's back on Steele to stem the flow and Windy to have an impact

I think this game will give us a really good indication of where we sit relative to teams that are challenging. We're going to have to minimise our mistakes and increase our scoring efficiency just to stay in the game.

We pushed a resurgent Cats all the way to the end and then struggled against two battling clubs. TBH, I'm a little nervous that we're going to have our underbelly exposed this week. If we start slowly like we did last week I have doubts about our ability to work our way back against the Giants.
Has there been any team bolt out of the box as evidently superior and unstoppable so far this year?

I'd say no. In the recent past, watching teams like Richmond Sydney and Geelong play, I'd hold up my hands and think "OK, they are just at another level."

So far, the closest I've had to that feeling is maybe watching Port Adelaide and Melbourne, and even they seem stoppable.

We should fear no one, frankly.

Clearances 35 to 36

I50's 56 to 54

contested possessions 154 to 156

Unsurprisingly, given the Membrey situation, we got jumped early but not far off it for the rest of the game.

Caminiti woke on Saturday morning not even named as an emergency. A few hours later he's in front of 70,000 at the G.

Actually think we will be a fair chance to win.
I do remember the GWS mids making space and putting the ball on their forward's chest pretty regularly, where our clearances were under pressure or full of bombs to contests, but we put up a good fight. I think our forward half this season is still a bit disorganised, and probably where GWS might catch us out, but I would prefer a win thanks.

It's funny how things in footy often come around again. We're in the exact same position as last year with Howard fit from injury but Cordy coming back from his best game. It will be very interesting to see how we play it this time.

It's so good to finally be getting some continuity player-wise without good players coming out of the side. Selection will be interesting this week. Windy obviously in but I'd love to see Collard too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were taken apart in the final due to there mids run wild - Tom Greene 35 touches , Whitfield 31 , Ash 31 , Kelly 30 ---- if we can break even in this department we will have a chance of beating them.

Breaking even in the midfield is not the issue. Top 5 possession winners both sides

GWS
Green 35, Whitfield 31, Ash 31, Kelly 27 Daniels 19

Saints
Steele 37, Marshall 31, Hill 29, Sinclair 25,Ross, NWM 23

i50 Saints 56 to GWS 54

Its the nature of our i50's that cost us. And once again that comes back to the nature of our clearances - and that then comes back our clearance technique.

We swarm - we win the ball - we handball it 2 metres to someone who is immediately under pressure so its hack kick.

That's why I'd love to have Libba in our side - a bloke who has enough vision to see a player more than 2 metres away AND more importantly he knows that the "handball" rules changed years ago and now you can sling the ball to someone just as long your other makes the slightest of contact with the ball.

Clear the contest to the likes of Hill, NWM even Bonner and guess what - i50 technique improves.

It's funny how things in footy often come around again. We're in the exact same position as last year with Howard fit from injury but Cordy coming back from his best game. It will be very interesting to see how we play it this time.

It's so good to finally be getting some continuity player-wise without good players coming out of the side. Selection will be interesting this week. Windy obviously in but I'd love to see Collard too.
Personally think we should have both in the side.

Will allow Battle and Wilkie more scope to peel off and play an offensive interceptor role.

Hogan- Howard
Wilkie- Cadman
Battle- Riccardi
Stocker- Greene
Daniels- Sinclair
Wang- offensive

Cordy Wilkie Stocker
Wang Howard Battle

Roma, Steele, Ross, Sinclair
Hill, Byrnes

Owens Membrey Butler
Sharman King. Higgins

Int:
Bonner (back)
Pou (fwd)
Windy (onball)
Wilson (wing)

Sub
Jones

Having a defense as good and gluey and stodgy as ours (just look at the 2nd quarter v Rich) it makes sense that our going forward set up is lean, and hence looks rushed and sketchy - and very disappointing as we watch yet another Nankervis mark at CHB. We just don't have enough mobile troops in that centre-to-F50 ready to go and their backs can smother our full-forwards much more leaisurely like.

In the big spaces of Manuka, they might think we can, but they will also know we can just bring in the cement truck and let it take a giant dump, turning the game into a horrible slog. edit (except GWS know better, they routed us)

Ideally, we can switch from slog to sprint at key moments. In another words, we will need a bit of luck.

Last edited:
Having a defense as good and gluey and stodgy as ours (just look at the 2nd quarter v Rich) it makes sense that our going forward set up is lean, and hence looks rushed and sketchy - and very disappointing as we watch yet another Nankervis mark at CHB. We just don't have enough mobile troops in that centre-to-F50 ready to go and their backs can smother our full-forwards much more leaisurely like.

In the big spaces of Manuka, they might think we can, but they will also know we can just bring in the cement truck and let it take a giant dump, turning the game into a horrible slog. edit (except GWS know better, they routed us)

Ideally, we can switch from slog to sprint at key moments. In another words, we will need a bit of luck.

There is forward set-up and cattle, and then there is kicking it to Nankervis, winning it back after he kicks it out of the defensive 50, and then KICKING IT TO THE SAME SPOT WHERE NANKERVIS TAKES EXACTLY THE SAME MARK AGAIN!

I mean, that is something that should have us questioning the cognitive function of the players. You don't need a great list or a superb game plan to avoid doing something as stupid as that, surely.

There is forward set-up and cattle, and then there is kicking it to Nankervis, winning it back after he kicks it out of the defensive 50, and then KICKING IT TO THE SAME SPOT WHERE NANKERVIS TAKES EXACTLY THE SAME MARK AGAIN!

I mean, that is something that should have us questioning the cognitive function of the players. You don't need a great list or a superb game plan to avoid doing something as stupid as that, surely.
Yeah, I hear you, but well, my point is, and I think the reason is something to do with it; the players running off the wings are rushed, and the forward set-up just isn't ready to offer a strong and compelling option to that rushed winger? So it is often a hopeless 'crap-shoot'. Pot-luck, as it were?

Yeah, I hear you, but well, my point is, and I think the reason is something to do with it; the players running off the wings are rushed, and the forward set-up just isn't ready to offer a strong and compelling option to that rushed winger? So it is often a hopeless 'crap-shoot'. Pot-luck, as it were?

My recollection is the second kick to Nankervis was from a mark. So not rushed at all.

Breaking even in the midfield is not the issue. Top 5 possession winners both sides

GWS
Green 35, Whitfield 31, Ash 31, Kelly 27 Daniels 19

Saints
Steele 37, Marshall 31, Hill 29, Sinclair 25,Ross, NWM 23

i50 Saints 56 to GWS 54

Its the nature of our i50's that cost us. And once again that comes back to the nature of our clearances - and that then comes back our clearance technique.

We swarm - we win the ball - we handball it 2 metres to someone who is immediately under pressure so its hack kick.

That's why I'd love to have Libba in our side - a bloke who has enough vision to see a player more than 2 metres away AND more importantly he knows that the "handball" rules changed years ago and now you can sling the ball to someone just as long your other makes the slightest of contact with the ball.

Clear the contest to the likes of Hill, NWM even Bonner and guess what - i50 technique improves.
It aint what you do, it's the way that you do it

My recollection is the second kick to Nankervis was from a mark. So not rushed at all.
Maybe so, but that is one case out of many ..a general trend. Basically, our incredible team defense comes at a price. That is the point I am asking about. And I suspect it does. And it helps explain why RTB wants incredible runners and running - so that the extra-defence can still bolt down into offensive set ups up the field after a turn over. I don't think we have 'matured' in that thing yet.

Has Dow been back in full contact training yet?
Training with full group, will watch his progress and report

Hunter Clark has borrowed a pair of Lanceyboys nappy shorts.

Forwards out before the main group all practising goal kicking, still doing it with main group out on the track.

Four 15 metre ropes laid out straight towards the goal on different angles all using these to set for goal.
Pou in this group, with Hammer, Ming, Collard.

Henry, Wood, Alison running laps, Howard in the main training group

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back