Review Round 16, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Narkle can at least look competent pushing up the ground as well and handy in link up play, it's been a bizarre pickup in the sense he's clearly a better option than the two spud rotation yet he's hardly had a look in.

Probably do not win today without Narkle.

How's that sweet irony in him replacing the coaches golden pass boy in McEntee, being the reason for the win in what will prevent Ken from getting sacked tonight

Rozee’s interview after the game raised some eyebrows (mine, at least). He wasn’t exactly effusive with support/praise for Ken, and sort of evaded the love-in the interview was angling for. Said something along the lines of “As long as Ken is the coach, we’ll back him”, which says quite a bit if that phrasing was intentional.

Most of these flogs spent all week on our board pleading for a stkilda win.

Seriously bringing Ross Lyon back for no other reason but to sack him is totally ruthless.

I respect that.

I will never forgive him for playing Marshall forward. He could have dominated the midfield from the 1st quarter. King would have played himself back into form though weight of opportunities.

Probably do not win today without Narkle.

How's that sweet irony in him replacing the coaches golden pass boy in McEntee, being the reason for the win in what will prevent Ken from getting sacked tonight
Meanwhile in the real world, Narkle had 13 touches and 1 goal, and McEntee had 8 touches and 1 goal the week before. And one plays an attacking role and the other defensive.

And both weeks DBJ has looked like his soul left his body

Rozee’s interview after the game raised some eyebrows (mine, at least). He wasn’t exactly effusive with support/praise for Ken, and sort of evaded the love-in the interview was angling for. Said something along the lines of “As long as Ken is the coach, we’ll back him”, which says quite a bit if that phrasing was intentional.
Some of the phrasing from several of the players this week has made it sound like they have been told Ken is going at years end.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And we have a better percentage than Essendon 4th on the ladder.
Means jack shyt really, teams above us like Freo and Essendon are a half game in front so % becomes less important.
If you’re only worried about final ladder position, yeah sure.

But percentage speaks volumes more on form than W/L does.

And fancy using the Dons as a gotcha for form comparison. Arguably more of a joke this year than we are.

Positives:
Aliir played with more conviction and surety.
Sinn completed a solid game and looked more composed.
Lorenz picked up the pace straight away, and used the ball well.
Evans has backed up last week with another good game. His decision making under pressure and competitiveness was a standout.
JHF is our ❤️ and soul. Gun
Rozzee and Butters better
Drew played his best game for weeks. It makes such a difference when he plays his role.

Negatives:
Gameplan still a bloody mess.
Forward entries disgraceful.
Marshall terrible again
Lord looked gassed. Still building fitness.
Jones not convincing and just does not read the play well.
Finlayson still missing for large parts of the game.

Well, if we do make finals this year, it'll obviously be with Hinkley, unless a miracle occurs.

Hinkley teams have already failed at 3 prelims over a bunch of years, and since the last one, we have only regressed. I don't know about you, but losing a prelim is ****ing painful.

We're not winning a grand final this year, no ****ing chance. Everyone can see that, although perhaps you can't. At this point the best thing for the club is to lose as many games as it can, by as much as possible. Sad, painful, but true nonetheless.
I think we have too many holes in our side to win the GF but we need to be able to expect a win at all costs mentality from our players and coaches. You can't build a good culture by wanting failure just to justify a conformation bias on the part of those who hate the coach. I guess we'll just have to accept we see things differently.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have too many holes in our side to win the GF but we need to be able to expect a win at all costs mentality from our players and coaches. You can't build a good culture by wanting failure just to justify a conformation bias on the part of those who hate the coach. I guess we'll just have to accept we see things differently.

This list is nowhere near a premiership contending side, too many young players and not enough veterans. Even compared to our 2020 team it's night and day different.

Imo we should be looking to properly contend again in 3-4 years and build our core around the young mids. Go back to the draft and try and draft and develop some actual competent talls

I listened to Treaders and Timmy and then watched the replay. Timmy was particularly harsh on Marshall. Watching the replay I thought his efforts were good. Kicking was pretty awful but his attitude seemed much better. He did a lot of defensive work. Same with Finlayson. Overall the game was an eyesore but hey that's Ross Lyon at his best.

My god how bad was king?

Hornet amazing
Think Evan’s again showed some really nice things

Just fold already saints. Absolute joke factory
King was well held by BZT, the saints supporter sitting behind kept saying he was non-competitive and yeah he was pretty bad.

To think that Max King got selected earlier than Ben King. How the turntables.

I listened to Treaders and Timmy and then watched the replay. Timmy was particularly harsh on Marshall. Watching the replay I thought his efforts were good. Kicking was pretty awful but his attitude seemed much better. He did a lot of defensive work. Same with Finlayson. Overall the game was an eyesore but hey that's Ross Lyon at his best.
Marshall loves beating up on these types of opponents. He goes to water very easily. He needs to put on some size as his hands are soft as butter. He is 7 seasons into his career so i very much doubt he will turn into the player we need him to be.

We have to persist with Lord, he’s the only tall forward on our list who possesses a hard edge to his game.

I think the team will look a lot better when all of Lord, Dante, Walsh, Evans, JHF & Butters are playing in the same team. These are your natural competitors that hate losing & will drive the others forward.

We have to persist with Lord, he’s the only tall forward on our list who possesses a hard edge to his game.

I think the team will look a lot better when all of Lord, Dante, Walsh, Evans, JHF & Butters are playing in the same team. These are your natural competitors that hate losing & will drive the others forward.

Lord should be an automatic selection each week.

Scully isn’t ready and Dixon can lick my nuts

The trouble is that in 13 years, Hinkley has not built a "win at all costs mentality", nor a "good culture".

I'm not advocating that the players or coaches should go out and do anything other than try their hardest, give their all. But we the fans, except for an ever-dwindling few, are past that now. Past hoping or expecting the team to have a good mentality. And a lot of us are now also past the point of wanting to win at any cost. The cost of Hinkley escaping termination is now too great. Get the **** rid of him, and we will all be back to wanting Port to win at all costs again. You don't have to agree.

If you’re only worried about final ladder position, yeah sure.

But percentage speaks volumes more on form than W/L does.

And fancy using the Dons as a gotcha for form comparison. Arguably more of a joke this year than we are.
Yeah well I reckon Essendon have less chance playing finals than we do.
I used Essendon and Freo as an example because they both have had draws.
They being 3rd and 4th presently are teams above us that % won’t be a factor if things get tight.
Anyway The Suns have a better percentage than Collingwood, Woop De Doo!

jhf was good, so was rozee.
shame stkilda couldnt kick straight in the last quartar
narkle, dbj and boak are not afl level
finlayson's body language looks very poor
butters getting better and better each tag he recives, learing how to break them
BZT our best player today.

I'm a bit old fashioned I suppose but I'm happy that we won and are still a chance to play finals again. We are not playing with any polish or confidence but at least we brought effort and won despite not getting a fair share of the frees inside 50 that we deserved and conceding some very tough ones at the opposite end.
Aliir saved us in the last quarter and hopefully he gets a lift in confidence from that. BZK was almost faultless in silencing King after being subbed last week and Rozee was much better. Narkle, although not great, did enough to keep Jed out and that's a positive.

We'll get smashed by the Bulldogs if we can't improve our skills next week, but 80% of that is due to loss of confience in themselves and each other. I will continue to support the boys and hope we win next week as well.
I’m 100% with you supporting the lads, you can support the team without supporting the administration/coaches.
The day I want Port to lose a footy game is the day I give it up all together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 16, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back