Game Day Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was mentioned several times in the post-match review - the lack of defensive pressure and accountability from our forwards and mids when Essendon was moving out of their defence. Not sure if it was coaching instructions or lack of effort and gut-running from the players, but just guarding grass and allowing a team to exit defence so easily was one of the reasons why we were beaten IMHO. I am hoping this gets addressed in the Geelong game.
In fact, "zoning off" anywhere on the ground does not seem to be working for us anymore. Are our current batch of players lacking the foot speed overall to make it work? Is it time to return to the old-fashioned concept of man on man defending, allowing for greater proximity to and attack on the ball??
Switching to a man on man setup during necessary periods of the game would certainly change things up and be less predictable. Guarding grass is like a cone drill to goals for teams chipping around and over. I'd also like to see us slow the game down when required. This play on at all costs mentality has been worked out by most sides now and is too easy to combat. Opposition players aren't tackling the ball carrier and are covering the guy running past or sitting waiting to easily intercept the handball.

We missed Nobles run and McCreery's closing speed last night. We also desperately miss Jamie's forward pressure and I will say it, Cox's ability to bring a ball to ground and give us a bail out down the line.

It's very frustrating to watch at the moment and Fly is going to have his hands full trying to maintain this calm approach of telling the players it's all just about living the moment and be happy.

If I may further elaborate.
Monkhurst debuted at 18 years and at 20 was a premiership ruckman. He took on the triple prong of Somerville/Salmon/Madden (all gun rucks, all excellent key forwards).
He also played in an era where rucks steamed in and launched like missiles at eachother. It was the peak era of ruckmen. They were the team’s musclemen and cruised around the ground, pulling in 10+ marks (most contested) every game. That was the expectation in those days.
…. You don’t need to that good, these days, to ruck…

Lifting of the draft age means we’re less likely to see too many 18yo ruckmen debuting going forward. Even Grundy was 19 before he got his first crack. Smit is 19 and if Cameron doesn’t get up he’d be very much in the picture.

Any danger Collingwood can beat Geelong who we destroyed just two weeks ago?

Pardon the pun 😎
You should probably just concentrate on GWS.
Have a feeling they might surprise you.

Monkey was a beast of a big man who could compete physically from day 1. Smit is an inexperienced string. That’s the kind of “Hail Mary” example I was asking after.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May be inexperienced but he’s a solid lump of a lad who has been performing reasonably well at VFL in his limited games.

His body physique has nothing to do with how ready his knee is for senior footy.
Tarzan wasn’t my reference. That was Sidey talking about McStay.

knowing different people, different bodies etc I’m still a bit surprised Lions brought Ashcroft straight back in without any games in the Ressies.

Tarzan wasn’t my reference. That was Sidey talking about McStay.

knowing different people, different bodies etc I’m still a bit surprised Lions brought Ashcroft straight back in without any games in the Ressies.
Yeah I know who said it 🤣 I think I also posted it on bf.

Ashcroft was out for almost the full 12 months though, as opposed to Dan's much quicker rehab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Darcy Cameron will play, meaning Frampton likely plays ruck.
Howe back with Moore and Dean.

Let's see who you "destroy" come finals time.
I'm looking forward to that.
I have a healthy dislike for the pies but great respect also, we are simply hoping to achieve something special like you last year, and there’s still time for you guys if good enough

Simply need to regain your focus and energy and you can beat anyone on your day

Yes, tonight’s game is a danger game for us…

Ok I’ll see my way out. Good luck for the rest of the season

I have a healthy dislike for the pies but great respect also, we are simply hoping to achieve something special like you last year, and there’s still time for you guys if good enough

G'day benny. we are allowed to dish it out

Dish it out somewhere else Benny.

Have you been hacked?

I wonder if the Blues would be good enough and could maintain their focus with Curnow and McKay both missing.

Ours mightn't be as good but it's the situation we now find ourselves in.

Now, where's my pins and voodoo dolls.

I wonder if the Blues would be good enough and could maintain their focus with Curnow and McKay both missing.

Ours mightn't be as good but it's the situation we now find ourselves in.

Now, where's my pins and voodoo dolls.

Answer is no. Just watch their VFL team. They have nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back