Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

-
Coach got the team selection wrong again. Obsession with tall players is a sickness at this club.
Trew going down early
Rotham
Culley's not going to make it, love his attitude but he's to slow and not elite in any area.
Someone should of belted Jordan Clark

+
Harley. MJ aura about him is doing everything he can to turn this club around.
Yeo. Excellent all night and shielded Harley beautifully.
H.Edwards, one of his best games for the club
J.Williams, Waterman, Barrass, L.Ryan, all played pretty well.

We are overloaded with talks and hence this happens. The squad is the squad.

Another game where watching Tim Kelly annoyed me.

You look at the stat sheet and it screams good game, and yet he has once again been frustrating. I really don't know what it is about him that always gives the impression he's done **** all?

Perhaps it's hard ball he doesn't get, which is quite different from normal contested possessions. Bit like Daicos.

I feel like Kelly skates on the back of Yeo and Reid doing all the heavy lifting... Which is totally fine, IF you're actually damaging with the ball. Which he isn't.

He should be getting off the chain. He isn't tagged, all the attention is on Reid. Yeo is a bull and really can't do much more... Which leaves Kelly. The AA superstar Brownlow runner up we paid a the king's ransom for.

It's probably not fair, but it's just initial thoughts. Cripps being an absolute potato and Darling clearly needing to retire, are the other 2 initial thoughts.
This idea that Yeo is the bull isnt based off much. Kelly had 18 contested possessions today. Yeo had 8.

A lot of positives out of that I thought.

• Great game from Harley and Yeo, good stats from Kelly too.
  • Harry Edwards, I've always been a fan but he's low key exceeding my expectations. I wanted him to finish the year strongly and pump up his trade value and swap him out for Busslinger. For all we know that'd be a mistake, looks perfectly comfortable as a key defender at the level.
  • Jack Hutchinson, still pretty low stats but did so many smart things. It's about to click in a big way you feel and all the winging about giving him and entire 4 games for free to bring him up to speed is going to look silly in hindsight.
  • Jack Williams. He's still improving which is impressive, could possibly finish the year as our number #1 ruck at this rate.
  • Jake Waterman, has had his opportunities limited with Oscar returning but proves once again that there is no substitute for hard work. 3 goals a good return today. Probably be kicking 5 or 6 every week still if he was more of a stay at home full forward.
  • Pretty good game by Ginbey this week, I've not been overly convinced he was worth pick 8 [that deal was more about getting Hewitt at #14 so it's never really bothered me] but defence is a good fit for him and he's starting to shine.
  • Bailey was good today I thought, seems to play his best games against Freo and Melbourne who ironically are highly rated for their ruck division. Clunked more than a few around the ground today and there wasn't much to complain about except him probably ending Trew's career.

Negatives

• Really sucks for Trew to get a concussion like that today. Now has to sit out another week and who knows maybe gets dropped back to WAFL. All the tougher now to prove himself after a pretty good showing last week. Would have been a significantly better option for us than Culley today.
  • I know he's got his fans but I don't see it with Culley. He's got good goal sense and his snap today was a beauty but surely he's way too slow for AFL football. Considering we got Maric and Hutchinson out of the mid season drafts I'd say we can make peace with the fact that 2 out of 3 best 22 players is a great return from that draft over 3 seasons.
  • What exactly did Darling do to improve us with this recall?
  • Jamie Cripps kicks one of his all time better snaps for goal 15 out and then proceeds to be absolutely terrible for the remaining 3 quarters and finishes with 1.3. As is so often the case just an extremely wasteful return from his chances to take possession [fumbles more than he doesn't] disposal and conversion. Imagine having a highly skilled 20 something on the end of all the opportunities Cripps gets taking up the #1 small forward space.
  • The way the umpires treat Harley is disgraceful. He's a combative young man and his chirp at the maggots is a bad look but end of the day in 90% of cases they are reaming him and it's a blight on the game. He's a generational talent and the competition needs Harley highlights, can't have umpires ruining his game out of spite for the fact he was drafted by us. Schofield needs to say something.

Liked Hutchinson’s efforts even though he didn’t light the stat sheet on fire. Really like what I saw from Yeo given only the 68% TOG

What I really liked was how there was mucho heat in the game, melees breaking out and Reid getting close attention - yet at end of game both teams were hanging out together laughing and chatting and backslapping, including Reid. There's mutual respect amongst players, not so much supporters?

It's just corporate branding at the end of the day and we're all consumers, sometimes sheeplike; we all believe in a brand and we purchase product with symbols and logos on it and worship them not unlike a cult or a faith.
The players don't hate each other.

Freo when they click have really sorted out their transition style - fast, slick and clean.
They'll play finals and might go deep into finals and deserve to, they play good footy!
It's possible they might even get to a GF.

Schoey is an ex footballer in a two horse town, so as a person trying to make a living out of commentating and media, it pays in the long run to be neutral or unbiased; it's also professional. People seem to expect him to be on the side of the Eagles yet slam Pav because they think he's biased?

Harley is still learning the ropes, he seems to let his emotions get the better of him, some immaturity perhaps. He could be called a hot head as opposed to a cool calm and collected one. He will work his way through it all and be a better player for it hopefully. The only thing that bugs me is his constant appealing to umpires. The more he does that the less they listen to him. Focus on footy and what you can control.

Can't be bothered with pos+neg, only a few games to go that don't mean much now; well not as much as the draft, turning our list over and another preseason...(and a new coach)
(also fwiw they didn't beat us by more - WC by 37 points. Freo by 35 points)

Last edited:
Imagine being a supporter base that's so mentally fragile that a 19 year old kid from a bottom 3 team gets in your head.
Absolutely pathetic bunch of campaigners.
He caused them some damage last time, so they focussed on taking him out of the game, as they tried to do with Oscar and Snake, that's football..Reid played into their hands at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly's been such a disappointment since coming over tbh. Paid out the ass the get him coming off finishing second in the Brownload that year and has had like one decent season. He definitely should be getting off the chain more if the oppo team is gonna focus on our god damn 19 year old...it's annoying to say the very least.
Dude got his paycheck, and relaxed after that.

Ryan is obviously very good offensively at the centre bounce. But he is also atrocious defensively. Ryan also the better small forward.
Ryan is a better small forward but the ball isn't coming there. Petch defensively is not that sound. For his speed he rarely run down people. If the argument is Petch is better defensively then it's rather flawed.

Liam is more valuable using his mins in the mid then up fwd.

BBW played a great game today. I’m surprised at the lack of love.Really combative!
JWs just continues on his upward trajectory .Ya build teams as round kids like him.
TK,Yo and HR were really good.
OA was awful.The team went left and OA went right.
JD was farrr to slow. AReid please! Look at Waterman for work rate!
Cripps time to go.someone young please
Rotham disposal under not much pressure was woeful.

Williams (forward) looks like he is a find up forward which is a big deal for the future.

Oscar Allen paired with him will be great if he can get an injury free run through a preseason and through the season.

Liam Ryan looks like he has lost some pace and his finish wasn't the same sublime place I feel like it usually is, or has been.

Good luck through the rest of the year!

- yet at end of game both teams were hanging out together laughing and chatting and backslapping, including Reid.
I take the Sharrod Wellingham stance on this. Immediately after the game, sure, go shake hands, but cut out the laughter/chit chat.
Leave that to behind closed doors. I think we all can understand that, especially in a two team town like Perth, all the players would know each other and get along, some even probably mates.

But straight after the game when all the fans can still see is not a great look.
What's that Ted Lasso quote, something about the team being the actual fans and the players/coaches just borrowing it for a while. Rings true in this situation.

We the fans want to think the players bleed blue and gold and would do anything for the team (but they probably don't, it is just a job/workplace to them after all, and that's ok, totally understandable), so seeing them laughing/joking after a hard fought out slog raises the ire of many. Because to us fans, the club/team means alot and is a life long commitment (heck to many it might only be second to family) and would like to see this respected by the current, temporary, playing group.

Last edited:
Imagine being a supporter base that's so mentally fragile that a 19 year old kid from a bottom 3 team gets in your head.
Absolutely pathetic bunch of campaigners.

Finally got through the replay and came to post this.

Jeepers they got pushed around and made to feel weak by a 19 year old in his first season. Hilarious. And the he is so far in the Fremantle player's and crowd heads its amazing.

Well done Harley.

Another game where watching Tim Kelly annoyed me.

You look at the stat sheet and it screams good game, and yet he has once again been frustrating. I really don't know what it is about him that always gives the impression he's done **** all?

Perhaps it's hard ball he doesn't get, which is quite different from normal contested possessions. Bit like Daicos.

I feel like Kelly skates on the back of Yeo and Reid doing all the heavy lifting... Which is totally fine, IF you're actually damaging with the ball. Which he isn't.

He should be getting off the chain. He isn't tagged, all the attention is on Reid. Yeo is a bull and really can't do much more... Which leaves Kelly. The AA superstar Brownlow runner up we paid a the king's ransom for.

It's probably not fair, but it's just initial thoughts. Cripps being an absolute potato and Darling clearly needing to retire, are the other 2 initial thoughts.

Kelly should be insulted by the fact teams tag Harley instead of him.

Should be making a point to hurt oppos but seems content coasting and collecting his overvalued paycheck.

Ryan is a better small forward but the ball isn't coming there. Petch defensively is not that sound. For his speed he rarely run down people. If the argument is Petch is better defensively then it's rather flawed.

Liam is more valuable using his mins in the mid then up fwd.
Petch is a lot better defensively than Ryan haha.

Far out there's some posters on this board that offer absolutely nothing except woe is me negativity. I'd love to quote your posts and tell you how much of a d*ckhead you are and to f*ck off.

We battled but were out run and out classed in the end.

A heap of positives to take from this game, and most of the negatives came from known sources or veterans:

Darling - bye. Shouldn't have even come into the side.
Cripps - need a break at the very least mate. So much poor decision making and fumbling.
Rotham - he's not a defender, stop playing him there. Either he's in the team on the wing or not at all.
LEdwards - a couple of nice Crow throws and an inside 50 to JWilliams but he's just not offering enough. Sorry.

Outside of that I'm relatively happy with what they produced tonight for a loss.

Just a note - really interesting how the Fremantle board went to the admins after the whole Carlton loss debacle and got Chief to send out a warning about liking posts on opposition boards after a loss, yet they're here immediately after a win doing the same thing and always have. Massive weak campaigner behaviour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back