Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

Why didn't Stanley stay down and go off the ground when he got that free with 46 seconds to go.

I instantly recognised he should have gone off.

This was not smart, as our on-field leaders did not tell him to stay down when he showed that he was hurt.

If he goes off (when the clock had stopped) a replacement kicker can instantly kick the goal once time comes back on.

Instead, he hobbled back injured, wasting time and missed the shot.

Even if he kicked it he wouldn't have been able to contribute in the next play to win the game (so just go off man.. you are injured).

Nahhh I was dirty on that watching it live... We missed a chance for a 40-second roll of the dice.

Poor on-field strategy and leadership by us... Someone should have been onto that instantly

I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Bowes and Stewart they look under utilised to me in a hotly contested final even to just conserve energy for Dangerfield Holmes and Atkins and help them run out the 120 minutes.

I raised it last night, but I'm confused with how we used Stewart and not sure if it upset our balance in defence

He's been a mainstay in our midfield, especially at CBA since the Essendon clash, but last night he was predominantly played as a defender and I think we got that move wrong

It almost unbalanced us in defence, or at disrupted the connection we seemed to have formed over recent times

Our zone got badly ezposed by a mobile unpredictable forward line, very similar to how the Saints surged all over us really.
I know early on that Hodge in special comments said he was surprised that Geelong were going with a zone instead of man-on-man, which most teams would have done. I wonder if, strategically, that style of defence is more taxing (mentally as well as physically); I confess such things are beyond me.

For a while there, it seemed to be working perfectly, but is it possible that teams can expose it through the middle and, at such a time, you need to switch to man-on-man?

Great season, with a limited team. We needed to take our chances and this year we could have taken a flag ala Hawks 2008.
We dont know the extent of covid amongst the players.
Holmes was massive, given he had gastro all week, and was throwing up on the day of the game.
We will also not be able to know the full extend of King's health had on the players.

But
1. In which professional sport do you allow a senior manager to go off for job interviews with your competitors before your most important game of the year, and lose 2 days of analysis and support. Why could this meeting not be held via teams, or the eagles fly over here. Geelong are paying his salary, and there was no other week more important in his tenure.
2. Shannon needs more mongrel. He is soft, and some of his passes were diabolic. He simply Esava mark 2.
3. Mannagh lairizes too much. Missed a simple goal by trying to kick it along the ground when its a wet night. He often has brain fades, and you can see why it has taken time to get into the AFL. People need to stop excusing his mistakes.
4. Miers, showed his best and worst. Amazing goals, but some of his forward entries were rubbish.
5. Big O - you twice tried to take Stanley body out, and the karma bus came for you. Even when you were hurt Stanley didnt try to take you out.
6. There were knees to the back of Danger, Holmes, Stanley. This is the new cheats approach in the AFL.
7. Bruhn was dumped yesterday, and really hurt. No free no nothing. He then retaliated and free against. A lesson for the young man. Played very hurt in the end.
8. Zorko, the sooner this cheat finishes the better. The elbow to Ollie Henry's face should have been a 50, but alas the OPSMs didnt pay it.
9. No score review. WTF. All season the OPSM score review everything, and the one time the goal umpire should have asked for a goal review it didnt happen. AFL are seriously demented. rules on the run.
10. Zuthrie - can the GFC ask the OPSM brigade what chopping the arms is for this bloke. Skinny arms should not be a reason for him being treated any differently.
11. The Danger tackle, and the Stewart bump - OPSM moronic decision making
12. Stengle, a nightmare of a game. Missed the easiest of shots. Didnt setup players when needed to. Tries for marks that simply are not there.
13. Dempsey is soft.
14. We are desperate for an on field enforcer. need some mogrel in this team, its too soft. This team needs a Dixon or Moondog

This was a sad end to a great year. Coached well, well drilled. The Swans are going to smash these imposters.

Does anyone else think we should have left Sam Menegola on our list for this year? He would have been a very handy midfielder for us last night. Just saying.

Was nice to hear Fagan acknowledge the challenges we had with our soft build up, WC by 100 ish, bye, Port by 84, 16 days off compared to the swans 13😳, lions had consistent 7 day breaks

For some reason the first thing that popped into my head when I saw CBA was ‘couldn’t be arseds’ 😆 not centre bounce attendances. Nothing to do with Bowes, maybe we do need a ‘couldn’t be arsed’ stat when people don’t chase etc.
I would lead the league in CBAs. Be a hall of fame CBA player

Our zone got badly ezposed by a mobile unpredictable forward line, very similar to how the Saints surged all over us really.
Watching last night I came away with the same observation. That saints game and the PF were eerily similar - even down to Duncan ineffectual sub. We don’t really have an answer for that type of game style especially as our players fatigue in the second half. I’m not sure how you defend against short 45 degree kicks and easy handball receives into another short 45 degree kick. Rips us apart.

I personally hate the idea of him playing full time Midfield.
Tom Stewart is a 5 x All Australian, playing in defence.
His also arguably up there with Corey Enright as 1 of the best Back Flankers to play the game.
In 2022 when we won the flag, we wouldn't of thought of the idea of him playing Midfield and the reason we are thinking of Stewart playing Midfield is because we don't have many good Midfielders to play that. All in honestly our midfield would be in the bottom 6 in the league.
So to fix Stewart playing in the midfield is to recruit players like Bailey Smith and a " Mystery Mid " and bring in the kids like Jhye Clark and Ted Clohesy etc.
I don't mind him going in there for a center bounce to give players a rest.
But Stewart is an elite defender.. and I mean elite.. ( this year was his worst this year due to him playing midfield)
His best matches this season were midfield, he was so far from elite in defense this year that it was almost a liability at times and he was one of our best 5 players weekly from the Bombers game up until last night with the exception of the Freo game and that all came from midfield.
His "worst year" this year is all entirely down to playing in defense and he was poor tonight playing in checks notes defense.

Just home and loading the replay, to ascertain if my disillusionment with certain players is justified. This morning woke up and said at least we save 1k on GF expenditure, can cancel Foxtel, and don't have to suffer watching Max miss out again. With that, and other injuries, would come letting the Swannies get revenge, most likely.

As Scott likes to say - Our Best Is Good Enough. That's not what we got, but push on. Sorry to say a last goodbye to Hawk and Tuohy, and was reading Scott is now second guessing the (non) selection. Unless that's media BS, but time for me to do some last research for this year.

The thing that gets me about posts like this is the absolutism.

The total lack of humility or reflection on the fact that I, you, and everyone else only posts here because it's a forum that gives us an outlet for our opinions. People who obviously aren't involved with the club, but nevertheless have the capacity to think and assess how any player may be contributing or not.

I have perspective, but this is not the place for that perspective. If you want an echo chamber applauding the MC in the face of legitimate questions then I'm sure you can find it somewhere else.

Theres a point where a post crosees the line from contributing to the discussion to simple and useless virtue signalling. Congratulations on highlighting that line for the rest of us.
So not a place for nuanced discussion, just for yelling conceitedly at clouds. Noted.

Why didn't Stanley stay down and go off the ground when he got that free with 46 seconds to go.

I instantly recognised he should have gone off.

This was not smart, as our on-field leaders did not tell him to stay down when he showed that he was hurt.

If he goes off (when the clock had stopped) a replacement kicker can instantly kick the goal once time comes back on.

Instead, he hobbled back injured, wasting time and missed the shot.

Even if he kicked it he wouldn't have been able to contribute in the next play to win the game (so just go off man.. you are injured).

Nahhh I was dirty on that watching it live... We missed a chance for a 40-second roll of the dice.

Poor on-field strategy and leadership by us... Someone should have been onto that instantly
I think a few players would like their time again last night.

Does anyone else think we should have left Sam Menegola on our list for this year? He would have been a very handy midfielder for us last night. Just saying.

He was battling a degenerative knee issue - he was limited to 8 games in his last two seasons, including only 1 last year

He may have played more than say Wiltshire, but no guarantees he would actually have got on the park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I raised it last night, but I'm confused with how we used Stewart and not sure if it upset our balance in defence

He's been a mainstay in our midfield, especially at CBA since the Essendon clash, but last night he was predominantly played as a defender and I think we got that move wrong

It almost unbalanced us in defence, or at disrupted the connection we seemed to have formed over recent times
I noticed right from the first quarter every Geelong back was flying for the same intercept mark no one staying down now that's a lack of understanding.

Scott is now second guessing the (non) selection. Unless that's media BS, but time for me to do some last research for this year.
All he said was it would be impossible not to entertain the thought of did we get it wrong with that selection.

I thought his presser was brilliant. He was extremely shattered but composed in his talking as always.

His best matches this season were midfield, he was so far from elite in defense this year that it was almost a liability at times and he was one of our best 5 players weekly from the Bombers game up until last night with the exception of the Freo game and that all came from midfield.
His "worst year" this year is all entirely down to playing in defense and he was poor tonight playing in checks notes defense.
It’s a big offseason for Stewart. His form dropped off with the tag and I think his on-field leadership came up wanting. If in defence I would love for him to take a more accountable role and focus on winning his one on one match up and worry about intercepts after. Maybe pass the torch to baby Guthrie or even look at De Koning as Harris Andrews type.

He was battling a degenerative knee issue - he was limited to 8 games in his last two seasons, including only 1 last year

He may have played more than say Wiltshire, but no guarantees he would actually have got on the park

Of all the gin joints in all the world, and that name comes up!
No Menegola would have been the last person to save us.
Hope he's as happy in retirement as I am to see him there.

Like I said the only reason we are playing him in midfield as we don't have any other good players..
His a gun defender and he just has to learn to play getting tagged in defence..
Defence for Stewart in 2025
His best game for the year and will get 3 Brownlow votes is when we played Adelaide in Adelaide on his 150th game

If we are relying him as a start up midfielder next year. We have no faith in the kids we have drafted..

Just home and loading the replay, to ascertain if my disillusionment with certain players is justified. This morning woke up and said at least we save 1k on GF expenditure, can cancel Foxtel, and don't have to suffer watching Max miss out again. With that, and other injuries, would come letting the Swannies get revenge, most likely.

As Scott likes to say - Our Best Is Good Enough. That's not what we got, but push on. Sorry to say a last goodbye to Hawk and Tuohy, and was reading Scott is now second guessing the (non) selection. Unless that's media BS, but time for me to do some last research for this year.

I say this to my mates - it’s been very expensive to be a Geelong supporter over the past 20 years. So many expensive finals tickets. My Essendon and Carlton mates can’t relate and don’t show any sympathy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I say this to my mates - it’s been very expensive to be a Geelong supporter over the past 20 years. So many expensive finals tickets. My Essendon and Carlton mates can’t relate and don’t show any sympathy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Right. but how many new microwaves have they had to buy? ;)

I noticed right from the first quarter every Geelong back was flying for the same intercept mark no one staying down now that's a lack of understanding.
Bingo.

It resulted in a bunch of Lions goals off the crumbs, as we failed to clear properly or have numbers for the ground balls.

Our small defenders, in a 1v1 defensive sense, were out reflexed and out read from a lot of chaos situations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back