Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

I actually thing Bowes was one of our better players in the first half, but he is definitely not a guy who dominate at stoppages. Atkins tried hard but his lack of pace was really exposed. Bruhn remains disappointing.

Ill give bruhn a pass because he clearly got injured in the first half and we couldnt sub him bc of the issue with holmes (also shows you how little faith we had in duncan).
But atkins is hitting the wall rapidly we need clark and knevitt to go straight him this off season.

Atkins 12
Bruhn 10
Bowes 13
Holmes 20 (inj)
Dangerfield 24

v

Neale 31
Dunkley 28
McCluggage 27
Ashcroft 22
Berry 20
That Brisbane midfield is the best in the league TBH. It’s not quite Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Selwood & Ling but it’s up there.
All in prime age demo, sans Ashcroft who was essentially a #1 pick.
Looking forward to Holmes, Smith, Bruhn, Bowes in a couple of years. We need one more A grader though.
Atkins probably best to take Bews spot in the back pocket if possible.

Who gives a shit. People are leaving the game with literal brain damage

Yes but we are not teaching players to protect themselves we are rewarding them for letting their head hit the ground for a free when they could be bracing themselves (see mcluggage). Its becoming soccer levels of staging (which is why that game is crap) and we need to put some onus back on the player being tackled. If they dont a whole generation of fans like me will simply leave the game and go watch other sports instead.

Looks like Geelong are nowhere near falling off the cliff.
Yes Danger, Hawkins, Tuohy, Stanley, Duncan, Blicavs will all inevitably go but the squad last night was mostly built through the next generation.
I'm sure the players above going will open up salary space too.
It's never as good or as bad as it looks though. There's a lot of games experience to go out yet.

Think it's still pretty reasonable to suggest we're not making the 8 next year. We are going to struggle to be competitive with a run of injuries and all that lost depth. Especially if we lose a couple of mids we are cooked

Exciting from the kids though

(see previous post)

There's nothing in the image which is AI

Not sure which post you'd like one to look at, but doesn't change that it's a live photo taken after Henry kicked his goal following the soccer assist from Messi

As for the players in the background - maybe it's the bench their looking at or trying to work out how Messi got the ball to talk as he did to set up that goal

Great game. Extremely nervous thoughout even when 26 pts up in the 3rd quarter. My worry was that 3 goals in the 2nd quarter were tinarse and the only time I felt like we were truly controlling the game was the 1st 10mins of the 1st quarter. But we only had 4pts to our name. It seemed like Brisbane had more control from that point on.

And although Stewart had a few moments he'd like to take back he also seemed to be doing a lot of the doing. He gave up a few but saved a few goals too. He's output probably evened out in the end. John Kennedy would be proud. At least he DID something.

Yes but we are not teaching players to protect themselves we are rewarding them for letting their head hit the ground for a free when they could be bracing themselves (see mcluggage). Its becoming soccer levels of staging (which is why that game is crap) and we need to put some onus back on the player being tackled. If they dont a whole generation of fans like me will simply leave the game and go watch other sports instead.
You also need the umpires to pay holding the ball earlier - the issue with tackling is the free kick interpretation by morons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's never as good or as bad as it looks though. There's a lot of games experience to go out yet.

Think it's still pretty reasonable to suggest we're not making the 8 next year. We are going to struggle to be competitive with a run of injuries and all that lost depth. Especially if we lose a couple of mids we are cooked

I wouldn't bet on that.
Bailey Smith in, Holmes, Bruhn, Danger, Clark, Bowes in the middle kicking to Henry, Cameron, Stengle, Dempsey plays finals imo, especially with Stewart and DeKoning behind.

Honestly most of the older guys that will go this offseason are cooked and have already been replaced in the 22 (henry for rohan neale for hawk mannagh for duncan etc etc).
The only one we havent replaced is stanley but thats because our ruck list mgt is poor.
So it wont change the best 22 much.
But i agree it affects our injury depth (although oconnor and guthrie hopefully being fit again will help) and if too many injuries we will be promoting a few kids (but clohesy and knevitt are close to ready and might surprise).
Need to see after the offseason though-we might use the dfa period and drafts to bring in a couple of mature bodies (like mannagh was) to help depth.

I agree theres a good chance we miss the 8 though.

Also thought miers was great. Dont know what his numbers were but seemed to be involved in a number of key attacking plays. Does miers have the capability to step it up and become a full time mid?

He definitely has the tank but body size will be a limitation in there but we will look at it.
Him and mannagh were both super last night.

Who gives a shit. People are leaving the game with literal brain damage
I’m all for protecting the head but sometimes it can’t be avoided. There are accidents that happen. It’s a contact sport.
The players take that risk when they take the field. Same as any professional athlete in contact sport.

If you want to watch a non contact sport with no risks, then go watch netball mate.
We may as well ban contact sports all together.

Oswald got the first shot but the shot that killed him was accidently fired by a rookie fbi agent in the car behind him. It was simply an accident.
Oh no you don't ... not on here. The closest the VFL/AFL comes to that is the ABCTV "Zapruder film" of the 1979 Grand Final. Or, indeed, the fact that Gabbo's run in 1964 is actually half as long as people think it is, because the film version cuts to a ground camera and shows the same two bounces all over again, making 4. Another weird thing is that the GAA use hawkeye for goal reviews and we don't.

Anyway, I'm letting the Wilson stuff slide. It's a great (and very expensive) setup and almost all elements are 100% authentic.

Very disappointed like everyone else but so privileged to be follow this club.
You know they will be thereabouts in 2025 and if we can just see some improvement from key areas, who knows.

It was also glaringly obvious how valuable Holmes is to our system. It was a brilliant performance until he left the field. Not a stat padder either, each disposal is impactful. Hope he can seek further advice on those hamstrings over summer time because he could be a similar athlete to Adam Treloar who has had ongoing hamstring concern throughout his career.

I hope supporters don't start blaming individuals. I know a few lowered their colors but they are very inexperienced. Ultimately, this was always the main concern for me, we do not have enough players in that 100-150 game sweet spot.

We should debate the JFK assassination next, but this is the "background" I'm talking about.

View attachment 2117897
Yeah you’ve got me intrigued. Amazing goal yet the players in the background are focussed and running in the opposite way 🤔

Pretty much sums up where the game was lost. They cut us up through there that second half and it was the difference. Holmes going down hurt us structurally quite badly.

I felt like oddly they looked a better unit with daniber in the ruck and going more mobile up forward
Our zone got badly exposed by a mobile unpredictable forward line, very similar to how the Saints surged all over us really.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back