Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if Dan did the plane arms walking out of his exit meeting
Pretty sure he didn't want to rock the boat... but i did hear him say vrooom vroom

Speeding Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

I’d rather trade Serong than Frost.

We may be looking to extend Frost.

If it does play out like what you guys suggest then it's going to be interesting how that scenario would play out. If we were to extend Frost who gives us another 2-3 years of solid form and trade Serong who doesn't ending up amounting to much then no harm no foul. However there's always the other scenario where Frosty's form drops off a cliff and Serong then goes on to become a 200 game borderline star.

We were in a similar situation coming off our 2008 premiership and with a loaded midfield we had Josh Kennedy who we ended up allowing to explore his options which he ended up doing (traded to Sydney at the end of the 2009 season).

Hindsight is a beautiful thing and we'll never know but maybe the right play would've been to trade Brad Sewell who was showing signs of wear and tear and was closer to the twilight of his career and keep Kennedy instead.

Ironically Sewell's best season statistically was the year the Swans beat us in the 2012 grand final and was a decent contributor for a couple more years.

Sewell retired in 2014 where he only played 10 games and couldn't force his way into the 2014 grand final team that got revenge against Josh Kennedy after the 2012 grand final loss as the cliff came quickly.

Sewell's stats 2010-2014
Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 1.26.32 pm.png

As you can see by the below Kennedy over the same period (2010-2014) was on the up and was the better player and ended up playing another 8 more seasons before the cliff ended up coming for him.

Kennedy's stats 2010-2014
Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 1.27.45 pm.png

Now I'm not saying Serong will end up being the player that Kennedy became but there is still a risk moving on a player that is not in his prime yet whilst the other is close to or is past his (ie Kennedy / Sewell).

FWIW I got told by a mate who has a link to the Swans that don't be surprised if the pursuit of Frosty is actually a ploy to get their hands on Serong. We've all seen how that club operates over the period so don't be surprised if that's the long game that they're playing. Serong is contracted till 2025 so we have him for at least another season but if we were to extend Frosty another year or 2 on top of the 1 year trigger he just got then that could be what pushed Serong out.

If it does play out like what you guys suggest then it's going to be interesting how that scenario would play out. If we were to extend Frost who gives us another 2-3 years of solid form and trade Serong who doesn't ending up amounting to much then no harm no foul. However there's always the other scenario where Frosty's form drops off a cliff and Serong then goes on to become a 200 game borderline star.

We were in a similar situation coming off our 2008 premiership and with a loaded midfield we had Josh Kennedy who we ended up allowing to explore his options which he ended up doing (traded to Sydney at the end of the 2009 season).

Hindsight is a beautiful thing and we'll never know but maybe the right play would've been to trade Brad Sewell who was showing signs of wear and tear and was closer to the twilight of his career and keep Kennedy instead.

Ironically Sewell's best season statistically was the year the Swans beat us in the 2012 grand final and was a decent contributor for a couple more years.

Sewell retired in 2014 where he only played 10 games and couldn't force his way into the 2014 grand final team that got revenge against Josh Kennedy after the 2012 grand final loss as the cliff came quickly.

Sewell's stats 2010-2014
View attachment 2120382

As you can see by the below Kennedy over the same period (2010-2014) was on the up and was the better player and ended up playing another 8 more seasons before the cliff ended up coming for him.

Kennedy's stats 2010-2014
View attachment 2120391

Now I'm not saying Serong will end up being the player that Kennedy became but there is still a risk moving on a player that is not in his prime yet whilst the other is close to or is past his (ie Kennedy / Sewell).

FWIW I got told by a mate who has a link to the Swans that don't be surprised if the pursuit of Frosty is actually a ploy to get their hands of Serong. We've all seen how that club operates over the period so don't be surprised if that's the long game that they're playing. Serong is contracted till 2025 so we have him for at least another season but if we were to extend Frosty another year or 2 on top of the 1 year trigger he just got then that could be what pushed Serong out.
You can't look at these deals in isolation, and it's nowhere near as simple as you're putting it here.

We didn't let Kennedy explore his options, we just didn't stop him from going given Sydney came knocking and did so with big money for a player at that stage of his career. Salary considerations played in to the fact that we needed to retain a lot of younger players who needed pay days, and we were looking at higher profile acquisitions in Gibson and particularly Burgoyne. We also picked up Ben Stratton with one of the picks we got in return from Kennedy and McGlynn, in addition to Sam Grimley who - ironically - is probably a much better point of comparison for Serong.

Sydney took a risk and it paid off, relatively speaking. We let Kennedy go and still managed 4 Grand Finals and 3 flags anyway.

I'm prepared for the possibility that we might lose some players this off season who might be seeking more consistent opportunities to play AFL level. However, I really hope we hold firm on proper compensation for what are mostly contracted players who did play in our finals campaign.

If clubs like Sydney and Fremantle are circling guys like Frost, Maginness and Serong and selling them the idea that they will be in their first 23 next year then I'd be expecting something decent in trade. Particularly the latter two who are coming into their prime years and (again) are contracted.

I am a little worried we have
I'm prepared for the possibility that we might lose some players this off season who might be seeking more consistent opportunities to play AFL level. However, I really hope we hold firm on proper compensation for what are mostly contracted players who did play in our finals campaign.

If clubs like Sydney and Fremantle are circling guys like Frost, Maginness and Serong and selling them the idea that they will be in their first 23 next year then I'd be expecting something decent in trade. Particularly the latter two who are coming into their prime years and (again) are contracted.

Losing a few players for more opportunity I am ok with .

I would love the club to hold onto all its coaching group and fitness staff for a couple of years before the are all poached again.

You can't look at these deals in isolation, and it's nowhere near as simple as you're putting it here.

We didn't let Kennedy explore his options, we just didn't stop him from going given Sydney came knocking and did so with big money for a player at that stage of his career. Salary considerations played in to the fact that we needed to retain a lot of younger players who needed pay days, and we were looking at higher profile acquisitions in Gibson and particularly Burgoyne. We also picked up Ben Stratton with one of the picks we got in return from Kennedy and McGlynn, in addition to Sam Grimley who - ironically - is probably a much better point of comparison for Serong.

Sydney took a risk and it paid off, relatively speaking. We let Kennedy go and still managed 4 Grand Finals and 3 flags anyway.
Swans also had an extra 10% salary cap and could take these kinds of risks on young developing players. They did the same with Mumford. Funnily enough it was very astute from them to use the strategy this way because when they started poaching the highest paid players in the league with Franklin and Tippett, the other clubs finally said enough is enough.

This forced the AFL to get creative and rebrand the Swans cap benefits as rental assistance and AFL ambassador payments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think about it , it's not a surprise that the Dogs would like to get a high value trade for JUH

• Naughton on a long term contract who can play forward/back
  • Darcy looks an absolute star and game changer
  • JUH is probably the least safe bet of the 3 , especially if the off field stuff has wheels .

Most teams are going for versatile forwardlines .
Dogs need a mid to help Bont so the excess tall forward can be used to get that .

I think if a club can provide a high quality mid in their prime or coming in too it, with a high pick I think they would do it .
They also have Croft in the Ressies as an option. There spoiled for choice.

Parfitt I always felt was an ok player. In terms of talent he's better than Atkins perhaps it's his work ethic and attitude that has seen him on the outer at Geelong. Rohan will retire. Amazing he got so much out of his career for somebody who impacted very little in alot of matches. He should be grateful TBH.

I wouldn't mind it if Hawthorn picked up Parfitt as depth. Doesn't cost us much

I would.

We have mids who can't crack it into our side as it is.

Gary Rohan: so this is it? So long, good luck?
Scott: Oh I don't recall saying Goodluck.

port will use one of the picks they get for Houston to cover the lukosious trade and 6 year offer they have put towards him.

Probably. Wonder what they get for Houston, he's a genuine gun. Wonder if North would be brave enough to gamble their F1.

Lukosious was going to have to stay another year at GC because he was told Port couldn't fit him in but clearly that's changed.

Wouldn’t get a game for us. He’s also woefully unfit. He’d blow up in the first quarter following our gameplan

Wouldn’t get a game for us. He’s also woefully unfit. He’d blow up in the first quarter following our gameplan
Don’t think depth players from geelong perform that wellnafter moving on to other clubs. I can’t think of one, but I can think of a few that did nothing at other clubs. Quarkle and Stephens prove my point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back