Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think so. The beauty of the NBA/NFL is that inequality in the conferences is only by luck not design.

The problem with the VFL is that 56% of the teams are all in the same city. The VFL is prejudiced against non VIC teams by its nature. The NBA / NFL are set up much better.

If the issue is inequity then why does it matter whether that inequity is down to luck or design?

If we’re looking to fix inequity, why move to a system that will inevitably lead to inequity?

Be interesting to see the narrative post game - particularly if the Swans lose (best team all year, but potentially 2 out of the last 6 GFs ending in a loss).

Personally, think Swans will get up by 3-5 goals..Heeney for the NS. Charlie to lick 4 goals

Should be close to a 50/50 split in the crowd which will be great for the atmosphere.

Much better than the 85/15 crowd split for Vic vs non Vic games that we have had in recent years.

The northern academy rort that pisses me off the most is Nick Blakey

That system is supposed to stop athletes from the northern states from picking rugby and who wouldn't have otherwise picked footy - you could argue Heeney is the poster boy for this

The son of John Blakey was never going to play anything but footy, and just happened to be coaching at Sydney at a time that made him eligible for the Sydney Academy - that is absolutely rubbish and not what the system was for*

*Yeh we got Borlase in a similar bullshit way but he ain't a gun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 there’s very few examples of non vic teams losing a grand final they should have has home ground advantage in. It’s made out to be a lot, but it really isnt. And the 2012 2014 shows it doesn’t mean much

Yeah - there have been 9 examples where a Non-Vic team finished higher up on the ladder than their Vic Opponent:

1991 - West Coast - Loss
1994 - West Coast - won
1996 - Sydney - Loss
2002 - Brisbane - Win.
2014 - Sydney - Loss
2015 - Eagles - Loss
2016 - Swans - Loss
2017 - Crows - Loss
2018 - Eagles - Won

The better team has won 3 out of 9 so a winning percentage of 33%. Where this situation didnt occur - the better team in the regular season has won about 60% of the Grand Finals.

So yeah - I would say its a massive advantage and your team has won 2 flags because of it (2014/2015).

Huge cheer for Jarryd Lyons in the motorcade :)

Yeah - there have been 9 examples where a Non-Vic team finished higher up on the ladder than their Vic Opponent:

1991 - West Coast - Loss
1994 - West Coast - won
1996 - Sydney - Loss
2002 - Brisbane - Win.
2014 - Sydney - Loss
2015 - Eagles - Loss
2016 - Swans - Loss
2017 - Crows - Loss
2018 - Eagles - Won

The better team has won 3 out of 9 so a winning percentage of 33%. Where this situation didnt occur - the better team in the regular season has won about 60% of the Grand Finals.

So yeah - I would say its a massive advantage and your team has won 2 flags because of it (2014/2015).
Just LOL

Beat those teams two out of three games each, and in 2015 two games were in Subiaco

Might have been closer, but that team smashed those teams

I’d say 2013 the best HGA cos freo handled the blustery conditions badly.

Or of course 1991

Just LOL

Beat those teams two out of three games each, and in 2015 two games were in Subiaco

Might have been closer, but that team smashed those teams

I’d say 2013 the best HGA cos freo handled the blustery conditions badly.

Or of course 1991

Doesn't make it fair. Doesn't mean they wouldn't have had a better chance.

Its a completely F*cked system.

Not sure how anyone can defend it as a completely unfair advantage for the Vic teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back