Votes: 21 6.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 39 12.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Given all the debate over Pick 38 and the risk of it being absorbed by a bid on B. Campo, I have tried to work out how far that pick will come in draft night due to father-son and Acadamy selections. I know Brisbane have Ashcroft and Essendon have an Acadamy kid. They have two picks each ahead of us so their use of picks to match likely bids first round bids will bring us in to Pick 36.

Anyone else got Acadamy or father-son prospects that are fancied for the first round or early second round that would result in more picks being chewed up ahead of ours?

Not sure I deserve that clip over the ear.
I'm open to any of these kids, but can you please direct me to a video where FOS hits targets going forward/inside 50? Around the ground even?
I want to get onboard but I just don't see it.
With you on this, don't see the obsession at all with FOS, Both draper and Smith miles ahead atm... I hear alot about his footskills but I don't see it

I couldn’t pick a worse comparison lol. McGrath was an athletic track star with questionable disposal lol. Reid is the exact opposite.

Sorry, thought I was clear but evidently a bit vague. I don't think they're similar players as such, but in the same way McGrath was highly rated but has peaked as nothing more than a consistently OK player, I think Reid will be similar. For a pick right at the top of the draft, I think you want a midfielder who has the ability to dominate games, and I don't see that with Reid.

Like McGrath, I could see him ending up as an alright half back flanker.

Been sitting a bit on the fence with this. Like a kid in a lolly shop. Which one?
Jagga.
There's power speed and then there's quick speed.
We need quick speed. He's got what we need IMHO.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app
His decision making is sublime.
Hits targets with his handballs and is creative whilst doing so.

Jagga is what we need.

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone that hasn’t looked at Jagga Smiths Champs highlights, I urge you to take 4 minutes out of your day and watch the whole video for some decent viewing.

Kid reminds me of Nick Daicos. Demands the football, is evasive and continually runs to create for his team mates.

This kid will be the next big thing and we should definitely consider him.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometime, you just might find.....

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick splits, bold trades and early whispers: Latest intel in mega AFL draft state of play

Ben Waterworth from FoxSports

‘Carlton, outside of its Pick 3, has enough to match a bid as early as Pick 21 on father-son gun Ben Camporeale – an inside midfielder from Glenelg – although most scouts believe that’d be too early for the on-baller. In fact, most clubs believe now that the Blues will be able to select another player – on top of who they select at Pick 3 – with their second-round selection (currently Pick 38) before matching a bid on Camporeale later in the draft. Twin brother Lucas Camporeale could be a very late national draft pick, or even a rookie selection.’

Given all the debate over Pick 38 and the risk of it being absorbed by a bid on B. Campo, I have tried to work out how far that pick will come in draft night due to father-son and Acadamy selections. I know Brisbane have Ashcroft and Essendon have an Acadamy kid. They have two picks each ahead of us so their use of picks to match likely bids first round bids will bring us in to Pick 36.

Anyone else got Acadamy or father-son prospects that are fancied for the first round or early second round that would result in more picks being chewed up ahead of ours?
We stay at 38. Others have done the sums

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone that hasn’t looked at Jagga Smiths Champs highlights, I urge you to take 4 minutes out of your day and watch the whole video for some decent viewing.

Kid reminds me of Nick Daicos. Demands the football, is evasive and continually runs to create for his team mates.

This kid will be the next big thing and we should definitely consider him.

Wow, he’s a sneaky little bastard & his disposal is first rate, could be absolute lightning with a few preseasons in him.
As long as he has a great tank now & is hard as a cats head I’m sold 👍

He’s going to cop an absolute hiding if/when they ever catch him, so I would want to hear that he’s tough as nails and loves it

Last edited:
If you think Draper has better disposal than FOS then you’re beyond help.
We've just worked hard to have the opportunity to get another top class young midfielder into the club in a draft with a few standouts, there's no need to make your personal preference your identitiy or to make it personal where you disagree.

The most appealing thing with Jagga is his speed of thought.

He's not an elite kick as such, I'd call him a neat/tidy kick. He's not making a 40m kick and putting the ball on the tit of a lone teammate surrounded by 4 opponents. But he'll spot the 25m option on the 45 degree angle with a little bit of space and hit them up without a second thought. And he's the same going inside 50.

How often do you see our players treading water 60m from goal, looking absolutely non-committal, ignoring 3 separate short leads...only to dump the ball to the pack in the goalsquare, or handball backwards to a teammate to make it their problem.

You don't get that with Smith. When he sees that first short lead he puts the ball in front of them straight away. He's got a wonderful ability to assess space, identify whether an opponent is close enough to impact, and then execute.

Not sure the body is ready yet lol....yet
At that age conditioning can come on bloody quick - also very much looks like he just has that wiry build.
I can live with that, Simmo never touched a weight in his life & was damn near impossible to hurt.
The question is, is he pretty much fearless & quick to get up when hit.

Pick splits, bold trades and early whispers: Latest intel in mega AFL draft state of play

Ben Waterworth from FoxSports

‘Carlton, outside of its Pick 3, has enough to match a bid as early as Pick 21 on father-son gun Ben Camporeale – an inside midfielder from Glenelg – although most scouts believe that’d be too early for the on-baller. In fact, most clubs believe now that the Blues will be able to select another player – on top of who they select at Pick 3 – with their second-round selection (currently Pick 38) before matching a bid on Camporeale later in the draft. Twin brother Lucas Camporeale could be a very late national draft pick, or even a rookie selection.’

This is good to hear. If a bid came before 38 for Ben I wouldn’t match it and I’d make sure all other clubs knew that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At that age conditioning can come on bloody quick - also very much looks like he just has that wiry build.
I can live with that, Simmo never touched a weight in his life & was damn near impossible to hurt.
Had 30 in his first VFL game for Richmond.
Likely he’ll go first anyway but his evasive skills in tight are elite - his build less important than his run, carry & disposal IMHO.

I agree but given this page spends alot of time potting Ollie's inability to break a tackle hoping they can be patient with a pick 3 if we take him lol

Wow, he’s a sneaky little bastard & his disposal is first rate, could be absolute lightning with a few preseasons in him.
As long as he has a great tank now & is hard as a cats head I’m sold 👍

He’s going to cop an absolute hiding if/when they ever catch him, so I would want to here that he’s tough as nails and loves it
I also think the great thing about one of the mids we select and especially Jagga, coming to us there won’t be pressure to do it all on his own like he would if he went to Richmond or North, having the support of Crippa, Walsh, Hewett, Cez will help their development and I really feel they can have a big impact next season

Seeing some comparing Lalor to mid/forward premiums like Trac and Martin but I just don't see it. If you watch their highlights from their draft year, the latter two, particularly Trac, already had way more agility and midfield nous than Lalor. If anything Lalor projects as a kind of general forward version of Tom Papley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back