Toast “Mark LeCras wins flag, you know what happened next”

Does Lecca call it quits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit odd that you're all acting like LeGod just had a year like Pridda's last one, which is so far from the truth it isn't funny. Who offers more then him? Oscar? Waterman? Cameron (if we draft him)? None would provide the same output as him, and they couldn't offer the same leadership. It can't be because he doesn't apply enough pressure, given he averaged the second most tackles of all our small forwards (in fact he had more then Rioli, who played an additional game), so why should we replace him?
Id like to see ryan and rioli either side of kennedy and waterman as a hhf

Bit odd that you're all acting like LeGod just had a year like Pridda's last one, which is so far from the truth it isn't funny. Who offers more then him? Oscar? Waterman? Cameron (if we draft him)? None would provide the same output as him, and they couldn't offer the same leadership. It can't be because he doesn't apply enough pressure, given he averaged the second most tackles of all our small forwards (in fact he had more then Rioli, who played an additional game), so why should we replace him?
Let’s discuss after the sponsorship season finished

Id like to see ryan and rioli either side of kennedy and waterman as a hhf

I highly doubt Waterman will be able to contribute at a level similar to LeGod for a couple years yet. Don't forget, talls take a bit longer to develop.

Let’s discuss after the sponsorship season finished

This isn't the sponsorship talking, actually. I'm honestly confused why people want LeGod to retire.

Last edited:

I think LeGod should call it quits while on a high. He has struggled in quite a few games this year and I think next year would be worse for him. Also played some good games but time to give someone else a go.

I highly doubt Waterman will be able to contribute at a level similar to LeGod for a couple years yet. Don't forget, talls take a bit longer to develop then smalls.

This isn't the sponsorship talking, actually. I'm honestly confused why people want LeGod to retire.
See Hawthorn.

Regardless of what he does, LeCras strangling Kennedy straight after the siren was one of my favourite moments. They're such great mates and it was only fitting that they were next to each other when the siren went.

I think Lecras is the sort of guy that won't want to play in the Wafl. If he isnt gauranteed game time next year he may retire now.

There are no guarantees.

Nor would I expect Leca to ask or expect any.

Comes down to list management really. If we have a spot for him fine, he can provide quality depth and who knows.

But if we are tight on spots then maybe it' time.

I hope so. Nothing worse than going around too long. Would love him to still have a role teaching our forwards.

Started the season like a house on fire and still has one of the most accurate set shots in footy, but I think he’s slipping into 2017 poor form and wouldn’t like him to tarnish the legacy. Go out on the biggest high imaginable.

I highly doubt Waterman will be able to contribute at a level similar to LeGod for a couple years yet. Don't forget, talls take a bit longer to develop then smalls.

I think if he does keep playing he'll regret it and will retire mid-season like Glass did.

I hope so. Nothing worse than going around too long. Would love him to still have a role teaching our forwards.

Started the season like a house on fire and still has one of the most accurate set shots in footy, but I think he’s slipping into 2017 poor form and wouldn’t like him to tarnish the legacy. Go out on the biggest high imaginable.
Yep. Time to retire the champion he is.

And who would offer more then LeGod in his role?

I think if he does keep playing he'll regret it and will retire mid-season like Glass did.

Funny, I remember reading the same thing at the end of last season.

There are no guarantees.

Nor would I expect Leca to ask or expect any.

Comes down to list management really. If we have a spot for him fine, he can provide quality depth and who knows.

But if we are tight on spots then maybe it' time.
They would give him a fair idea in his end of season interview/review. They appear to be quite honest with players these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petch, Rioli, Ryan and Cameron jr are in the infancy of there career if we can get a similar year out of lecca next season play him on has valuable experience still a very dangerous forward that needs a defender and has added a defensive edge to his game

Aside from the two situations being quite different, I don't think a straight sets exit gives much credence to the way they've gone about it (yet, at least).
They have rebuilt on the run.

They won three flags - pensioned off hodge and smitchell (the year he won f and b) they are doing it smarter.

Id be absolutely annoyed if we didnt immediately pick lecca up as a forward line coach - or even give him a year as a coach / depth player.

But we have to think about the future - hes been great but time is showing on him. 22 games into waterman is more productive than 22 games into a guy whos on his last legs

Plays another year, travels less only plays ideally 15-16 games. He's such a gun if he wants to play on then the club will happily let him.

Straight into coaching.

One of the things we lack is that hard edge hawthorn has

Smitchell wins a b and f and is shown the door because they are looking forwards not back.

They are the most successful club because of this hard edge - lecca can coach our forwardline. But its time to move on.
Hawks have 5 flags from 7 grand finals in the AFL era, we have 4 from 7. Also missed far less finals series. We're doing something right too ;)

I can understand the temptation to end on a high but even if we struggled next year, nothing would take away the joy he'd be feeling now. I didn't realise he was only 31 ( thought a year or two older), he had a decent year and you're a long time retired. Reckon he offers enough to go around but wouldn't be decent ayes if he called it quits.

Played a good prelim but a lot of that was junk time. Tbh has been a bit too quiet to justify a regular spot this year, but personally wouldn't mind him going on for a year more or so if he's up to it. Hope he lifts a little bit though, no room for passengers.

Interesting because even on his down days this year he'd often have 10 disposals and a few tackles.
It's not uncommon for small forwards to barely trouble the statistician on a dirty day so I like that he seemed to keep his head above that this season.

They have rebuilt on the run.

They won three flags - pensioned off hodge and smitchell (the year he won f and b) they are doing it smarter.

Id be absolutely annoyed if we didnt immediately pick lecca up as a forward line coach - or even give him a year as a coach / depth player.

But we have to think about the future - hes been great but time is showing on him. 22 games into waterman is more productive than 22 games into a guy whos on his last legs

That would make sense if we were rebuilding, but we've just won the premiership, and that means spots will only be given on merit, rather than age. We're still contending for the foreseeable future. If Lecca doesn't perform, then Waterman will come in, and vice versa.

Hawthorn didn't secure a top 4 position off the back of their youngsters, they still had a strong core of senior players (which includes the oldest in the comp). However, the difference between us and them is that they had a glut of veterans who were close te retirement, rather then a single player, and they all centred around a far more important position then Lecca currently occupies (Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell all played midfield).

Overall, I don't think the two situations are similar enough that the same solution would work (although Lecca's future isn't a problem in the slightest).

I guess we'll see, wouldn't be opposed to keeping him on the list as long as he's willing to accept that he may not play every game even if he's fit

Well, given 2017 was a down year for Lecca due to injuries, I doubt he's just suddenly going to decline now as a result of age. His body is holding up pretty well.

Last edited:
The day LeCras does retire, Im gonna really miss him. Oodles of talent.
In response to the OP; not fussed either way. Leaning towards retirement since that's the general direction of the team for our vets approaching the twilight of their careers.

That would make sense if we were rebuilding, but we've just won the premiership, and that means spots will only be given on merit, rather than age. We're still contending for the foreseeable future. If Lecca doesn't perform, then Waterman will come in, and vice versa.

Hawthorn didn't secure a top 4 position off the back of their youngsters, they still had a strong core of senior players (which includes the oldest in the comp). However, the difference between us and them is that they had a glut of veterans who were close te retirement, rather then a single player, and they all centred around a far more important position then Lecca currently occupies (Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell all played midfield).

Overall, I don't think the two situations are similar enough that the same solution would work (although Lecca's future isn't a problem in the slightest).

Well, given 2017 was a down year for Lecca due to injuries, I doubt he's just suddenly going to decline now as a result of age. His body is holding up pretty well.
Mitchell had sfa mid minutes in hus last years at hawthorn - he was playing off a hbf with a bit of rotating through

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast “Mark LeCras wins flag, you know what happened next”

Back