Toast “Mark LeCras wins flag, you know what happened next”

Does Lecca call it quits?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lecca plays on in 2019 surely its a minimum chips $150-$200k deal. Not guaranteed best 22 and will be pitched that he spends a bit of time guiding the young blokes in our standalone WAFL team. That’ll hopefully free up additional cap space.

Only plays AFL as a “break in case of emergency” option.

His form this year was good enough to say he starts 2019 as best 22. On face value he’s earned another year

Problem is that he goes into 2019 as a 32 year old nd we’ve all seen how quickly older players at west coast fall off a cliff. There’s a lot to be said about a player retiring when it seemed he still had something to offer rather than going on one year too many

Kinda hope he retires but won’t begrudge him if he says he wants to go round again

I seriously doubt Lecras demands a large chunk of salary cap, for him now it would be about the experience, he would play happy knowing he's accomplished everything a footballer wants, hopefully setting an example and being consistent.

It's not like we save 500k a year by not re-signing him, he'd have been on reduced wages since his last contract, even he knows he's not the same player he was in 2010 but he's best 22 when fit, but may not be all year.

For all the flak he has received in his illustrious history, and the injuries he's endured...
He's apparently the 3rd all-time highest goalscorer at West Coast?
Nuff said...
He's played in a winning Granny, got a medal (pleased for him) and says he wants to go again.
But with our list pushing up now (and new trades), at 32, it might be time to go or hang the
'part time fishing' sign on the door and be more a depth player, and mentor as others suggest.
Club finances, player stocks, the cap, deck shuffle are probably the real decider in all this.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes around one more year, though I feel now would be the perfect time for him to hang up the boots. He's been a tremendous player for us for a long time but I'd be worried we wouldn't be getting enough into the young guys if he's back again.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes around one more year, though I feel now would be the perfect time for him to hang up the boots. He's been a tremendous player for us for a long time but I'd be worried we wouldn't be getting enough into the young guys if he's back again.
I don't see this as an issue considering Rioli, Ryan and Venables all played in the premiership with Lecras.

You don't need everyone to be young, that's not the way premiership teams work. I think he's of value on the list, then the coaches decide whether he's a starter or not.

Still, I prefer to have the option of him playing.

Personally I'd rather see him move on now, at the pinnacle of his career, rather than have him drop out of the best 22 a few rounds into next season and have him playing in the WAFL for the rest of the year. I doubt he'll move on voluntarily though. I get the whole "on-field coach" angle, but Cripps has stepped up in leadership this year so it's not as if there's a total lack of seniority in the small forwards. Maybe steer LeCras towards a development gig at East Perth. Dunno if he wants to pursue coaching though.

I think now he can safely say his career is complete and he will go down as one of our all-time greats. Forward pocket alongside Phil Matera in our all-time greatest line-up. He gave us hope during the dark days of 2009 and 2010, sometimes I still watch the highlights of his 12-goal game to cheer myself up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LeCras is an absolute legend of this club who gave us something to smile about in our darkest years, and I'm so ******* happy that he wound up a premiership player. If he played on next year I reckon he would be able to contribute at least as much as he has the last couple and I wouldn't be unhappy if he stayed.
Well done Mr C, you just reminded me of how many times I was so grateful that we had Lecca in those bad old days.He was quite often the ONLY shining light in so many bad team performances. His skill level was far above the vast majority of our players and you are absolutely correct - it put a smile on my face when we got smashed week in week out and everything else was just gloom and doom.When everyone else fell away he just stood up just about every week.
Will be cheering him on if he does decide to go around again next year.

I voted yes because of the romance of seeing a guy in the twilight of his career go out on such a high
However, if he has different ideas and wants to go on, then honestly his 2018 form means that he deserves another contract and to start 2019 in the best 22.

I'm torn as it will be sad to see him go, but I think given where our team is and with him now being a premiership player it should be time to go. Maybe a year early given his form this season, but I'd hate him to be the elephant in the room next year. Funny how twelve months ago I'd thought he'd gone on 1 year too long!

Going out on a high surely the better option but there is a chance his surgeon has said he might be limited with his wrist and that will hurt his chances at tackling properly. In 2017 he had 40 something tackles for the year but this year he had 70+ which made a big difference to his game. Also he played at the back of the square a lot this year so with the new rules he wont be able to do that.

Why do we assume he will finish? I think he's better than 50-50 to play on. Call me LeCrazy.

Not sure why can’t continue for another year and keep playing for his spot. If others overtake him it’s a good thing.
Just don’t think Lecca is the sort of guy who’ll want to spend much time in the WAFL

We'll see what happens, I wouldn't have a clue which way this is going. After reading earlier Vozzo articles this meeting is no surprise and he basically said that it will be LeCras' call. I suppose he will decide based on what Simmo sees his role being next year.

Sounds like he wants to go again.
Wouldn't surprise me if he moves on, for the team!
WCE-3rd best goalkicker ever, suggests its' worth keeping him.
But he does lack pace..
Is he holding back others..

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast “Mark LeCras wins flag, you know what happened next”

Back