Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overreactions? Hardly overreactions, being realistic more like it, did you not watch the game Friday night, we were as shit as we have been for 2-3 years???
The game was still on the line at 3 quarter time ... Martin took over, had a hand in 3 quick goals and we gave up. The intent was there, we were simply smashed in the middle against a ferocious Richmond.

They deserve a lot of credit.

Like the humour here, but you are a mod. Hope is what we hang on. I hope Longmire was doing the chuckle inside as he made that statement. We're not off a bye this time around.
Does it bother you that that's apparently the best thing going for us?

We need the Rug. Don't care who comes out. Let him give it to Papley.
Lang has yet to play a final. Let's give him one and see how he goes. We already know what we're gonna get from Murdoch.
Can't see the point in playing Stanley. Z.Smith is holding his own in the ruck and I doubt Stanley will be with us next year anyway.
Wanna see Bews have a go in the midfield. I think he could be the player to match it with the Swans mids that we can't seem to find.

In: Menz, Lang, Rug, Buzz
Out: Guthrie, Kolo, Parsons Murdoch
We need to have a bigger bodied team against the Swans. They smash us for size if we take in small bodies
for mine, as guthrie will be out, we need another mid. Put Bews in to stop Hanneberry or Kennedy. Take a risk or two
Put Ruggles on Papley and instruct him to make his life miserable and he might get a game in the prelim.
They have Sinclair, we need Stanley to stand tall against one of their key backs to allow Harry and Tom to do their thing. If he stays or goes is not the point, if he has a good final against Sydney, his price goes up and we might look at him differently. More experienced than the Buzz
so
out Kolo Guthrie Zuthrie, Parsons
in Menz Stanley Cocky Ruggles

Stewart Henderson Ruggles
Rohan Reid Papley
Tuohy Lonergan Mackie
Towers Franklin Hewitt
Cockatoo Bews Duncan
Heeney Hanneberry Lloyd
Parfitt Hawkins Taylor
Mills Melican Rampe
Menzel Stanley Motlop
N. Smith Grundy McVeigh
Smith Danger Selwood
Naismith Kennedy Parker
S.Selwood Murdoch Menegola Blicavs
Jack Newman Jones Sinclair

I think these teams match quite well
Bews to stop Hanneberry
Ruggles to hit up on Papley
Stanley to prevent Hawk having double teams
Taylor to create size havoc up forward
Cocky to give Heeney the old heave ho.
Chance here if we pick the right team with a bit of strength, goalkicking skill and vigour.

Going to the movies next friday night is probably the best option for geelong supporters.

That said our only chance is if we man up their spares (have a 9 man forward line if necessary) and change our zone to not leave space out the back, and play chip keepings off until their flood moves and then hit leads. It works for hawthorn.

If we bomb into our forward line 3 times in the first quarter you can give up on the result.

I expect we will lose by 60-100 but i hope i am wrong. It will be a sad way to farewell lonners and mack if it happens.
The Hawks beat them twice this year by knowing how to bring that about, and so can the Cats, but they must cut off Buddy's supply line with a top player like Harry Taylor doing that. He must have been carrying a twinge into Friday's night's game because he is the number 3-4 player for the Cats in my book. Cats are a better side than Richmond on their day, but just didn't seem to want it enough on Friday night. Also, why wasn't Menzel playing, reckon he is around their number 4, a sad, sad out for the Cats.

I never mentioned bombing away..
But playing slow and safe against them for us is an absolute guaranteed way to not get close.

How often have you seen us play well when we chip it around with slow ball movement?
Plays right into the Swans hands... they sit back and wait for the mistake then torch us the other way.
Need a forward line that straightens them up if we are to be attacking. see previous post in reply to spazzcat

Off one game? Lol he's played nearly every game since the byes.
Not my point. This was his good game and it took the rest of the team playing crap to see it. However, Sydney bodies are huge. Like Geelong of the naugties.
Cannot risk him structurally in my opinion. Agreed he played well on Friday and holds him in good stead. Get him in the gym for twelve days a week or he'll be the next jarrad grant

Careful he may have spat the dummy and told the club to stick it where the monkey stuck his peanuts when they presented him with a new proposed contract.
Yep a bit rash/stupid of me-but am confident he is a genial guy and will happily play when named, and play well. As mean as the footy gods are, he surely deserves a good game in a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is so true. In all reality our past nine finals in my book really read 0 wins and 9 losses such has been the insipid performance in all of them. With a little bit of luck thrown in it somehow reads 2/7. The buck stops with the coach and we have him and his usual salesmanship for a further two years. I imagine we now know how Freo supporters feel with Ross still at the helm.
Your "book" is poor on maths and your luck is simply bias to acknowledge Geelong wins which blinds you to the facts. It would be so simple to blame the coach perhaps that is why we could not win a premiership between 1989 and 1994 despite making the GF 3 times, that Blight must have been a dud!!! In Bombers first seven years we made the finals just 3 times for one prelim, another dud? The reality is that our team since 2011 has gone through a complete overhaul and we are now dependent on players such as Menengola, Stewart, Parsons and Parfitt to fill the void left by players such as Enright and Bartel. At the end of the day no matter how good the coach he must have players who are good enough. I am not sure our current players, or at least the best 22 we can get together after injuries is good enough, but I am optimistic that the younger players mentioned above will get better. At any rate the whinging over Scott is best left to the "we hate Scott" thread which is elsewhere.

We should all be getting excited and looking forward to this game. We will have all off-season to piss and moan about any and all shortcomings of the club, many of which will be completely valid and warranted, but we might only have one more week to enjoy the build up of a big game and watching the Cats go around until a 6 month hiatus. Not over 'till it's over.

Somehow I feel we will win.
  • The eagerness to redeem themselves will be very strong after such humiliating lose.
  • We're underdog now. We're good at playing underdog.
  • The match is not at SS.

Go Cats!!! I believe all fans of AFL are at our side, except theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back