Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lang, Thurlow, Parsons, Kolojasni, Buzza Motlop all these guys being discussed as possible changes fill me with no confidence at all. None could do the job this year can't see how they'll pull something out of their ass against Sydney.

Was constantly said at the start of the year we needed Thurlow, Lang, Kolo to deliver this year to progress from a good to great team. All three four years in with heavy investment no return. You wanna be serious about sending a message to the young blokes we continually invest and give make no mistake seasons of experience to send a delisting to Darcy Lang this summer. Might be the only way to give that group a nice kick up backside. Smedts, Brown, Kersten, Vardy, Cowan, Lang, McCarthy all given year after year on our list with the notion of patience! Time to get real. Kolo got a whole two years of senior football now for bugger all.. lots of pandering going on at Geelong atm.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

What I’d like to see:

-Start well. This means be in front at quarter time then build on it in the second quarter. They will come at us all night but more so in the second half, making the importance of having a lead at half time paramount.
-Sustained pressure. We need to dish out what we have copped from Sydney the last 4 times that they have torched us.
-Motlop in a forward pocket. He just doesn’t cut the mustard as a midfielder. He just isn’t clean enough with the ball and his mistakes further up the field cost goals. How many times have we seen him paddle the ball in front of himself then get beaten to the follow up? On the flip side of that, he is capable of jagging a couple of goals a game, and we just didn’t kick enough goals to put Richmond under pressure.
-Menzel has to play. See Motlop re goals. We didn’t kick enough of them and this bloke is our second leading goal kicker this season.
-Man up on Reid. He will play 20-25 minutes in the forward half and then drops behind the ball for the last 5 minutes of each quarter. His man needs to go with him and be a target.
-Defend the ball through the middle of the ground. They constantly opened in that area of the field the last time we played them.
-Man up of Jarryd McVeigh. Whoever he goes to needs to be in the game to make him accountable. Otherwise he will just pick us off and set up their forward movements through the middle of the ground. Parsons has played this role for most of the year and would be the choice to go there again.
-We need to keep the ball. The majority of their loses have come when the opposition have denied them the ball.
-Buzza to come in. Hawk will need a chop out when he pushes up the field and his commitment cannot be questioned. He will bring tackle pressure, can take a mark and gets himself into dangerous spots. Stanley an outside chance but he will need to play predominantly forward.
-Bews to Papley has to happen and wear him like new pair of jocks. This means no room for Papley to play with his balls. Frustrate him, make him do something stupid because he will.
-Blicavs to Kennedy, S Selwood to Hannebury. When Kennedy goes off Smith goes off, Blicavs to ruck with the help of Buzza/ Stanley as they use Towers as a secondary ruckman and that secondary ruckman will need to be mobile as a result.
- A very pro Geelong crowd. You. ALL OF YOU!

Nice post! I agree with everything you said. I really hope they give Blicavs a job on Kennedy.
I wish I could go to the game but my dog racked up an $800 bill at the Vet yesterday so i can't afford it. After we lost Friday night (I was at the game) I thought we were cooked and we had no chance this week. I re-watched the game yesterday and nothing seemed to go our way, the tigers played as good as they could and we were ordinary. We weren't up to it and it will be a different story this week (too bad the opposition is a much better team).

Last edited:
What's the word on Cockatoo? The side needs him desperately

Nothing yet. He's in training with the main group but in terms of being available we're not sure if it will be this week or next week (may not matter next week) yet.

Watched the Tuesday News Wrap (wasted 2mins of my life) but in the short training footage they showed of Menzel I did see Cocky running past him so he looks to be training well, just not sure if we'd take the risk with him this week, next week more likely if we somehow pull off a miracle against the Swans.

Harry will almost certainly be at CHB thank God. And I think he would have despite the Richmond result. It's just the way we need to set up against their tall forward line.Sydney just press super hard inside our D50 until a mistake happens and they pounce. They just body line the ball which is great finals footy. We can't be finessing with ball movement out of 50. I think we've been hand-passing around a lot deep in D50 until the pressure results in a snap desperate kick out of trouble that goes about 30-35 metres and is marked by the wall of our opponents. Maybe kick it longer quicker to Blicavs and
What I’d like to see:

-Start well. This means be in front at quarter time then build on it in the second quarter. They will come at us all night but more so in the second half, making the importance of having a lead at half time paramount.
-Sustained pressure. We need to dish out what we have copped from Sydney the last 4 times that they have torched us.
-Motlop in a forward pocket. He just doesn’t cut the mustard as a midfielder. He just isn’t clean enough with the ball and his mistakes further up the field cost goals. How many times have we seen him paddle the ball in front of himself then get beaten to the follow up? On the flip side of that, he is capable of jagging a couple of goals a game, and we just didn’t kick enough goals to put Richmond under pressure.
-Menzel has to play. See Motlop re goals. We didn’t kick enough of them and this bloke is our second leading goal kicker this season.
-Man up on Reid. He will play 20-25 minutes in the forward half and then drops behind the ball for the last 5 minutes of each quarter. His man needs to go with him and be a target.
-Defend the ball through the middle of the ground. They constantly opened in that area of the field the last time we played them.
-Man up of Jarryd McVeigh. Whoever he goes to needs to be in the game to make him accountable. Otherwise he will just pick us off and set up their forward movements through the middle of the ground. Parsons has played this role for most of the year and would be the choice to go there again.
-We need to keep the ball. The majority of their loses have come when the opposition have denied them the ball.
-Buzza to come in. Hawk will need a chop out when he pushes up the field and his commitment cannot be questioned. He will bring tackle pressure, can take a mark and gets himself into dangerous spots. Stanley an outside chance but he will need to play predominantly forward.
-Bews to Papley has to happen and wear him like new pair of jocks. This means no room for Papley to play with his balls. Frustrate him, make him do something stupid because he will.
-Blicavs to Kennedy, S Selwood to Hannebury. When Kennedy goes off Smith goes off, Blicavs to ruck with the help of Buzza/ Stanley as they use Towers as a secondary ruckman and that secondary ruckman will need to be mobile as a result.
Like that match up...good role for Blicavs because he's tall enough and rangey enough. Kennedy's deceptively tall and is almost impossible to bump off the ball/contest so "Inspector Gadget" his ass! And Scooter to Hannebury just 'cos...

yes, you are.

I don't know anyone else who gets excited at the reality of getting flogged by 10 goals.
Bah. Enjoy your cesspool of dispair.

Might be our last game for the year and I will be footy starved for 5 months so am looking forward to it.

Should be a good game and am looking forward to see the team changes.

Where's the fun if your tail is already between your legs?

I worry about the potential for next week. Chin up, we could snag a win. I am going to enjoy it either way - its my last dig for the season, or we make it another week. Whats not to celebrate?

I get where your coming from mate. I really do. I honestly believed we would play in the Grand Final this year. We've had poor losses over the years, last year V Swans Was a massive missed opportunity. The players came out and said "it hurt us a great deal". Well it didn't hurt them enough. Hard finals losses us whst galvinises teams and they learn. if it burned wouldn't you do everything in your power next time to make sure it didn't happen again? I'm really struggling to understand exactly what is going on down at the club. I'm so disappointed at the moment. A win against Sydney won't make up for it. The only thing that will is playing in this years GF. Which won't happen. I'm trying to keep my chin up mate, but gee all I can see is another wasted year.

Sums Motlop up really. Had the easy handpass to the open Stanley, yet wants the glory for himself and takes the selfish option.

It was Stanley - I wouldn't have passed it either! :p

Hi all - apologies if these stats have already been posted:

Last Friday, our final score of 5.10 (40) was our lowest final score in a final since 1914 (103 years).

Also our season-high for clangers with 37, a total only exceeded in 2017 by Port Adelaide in round 19

and 38 inside 50s (the Cats' lowest total for the season).

So we can't possibly play any worse!!

Hopefully the bolded isn't a challenge. :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not confident at all after last Friday night, but finals footy is meant to bring up some surprises so see what happens, maybe this Friday night may lead to a 94 Semi kind of result with no one expecting the Cats to win.

Just want a better effort over last weeks failure.

Not confident at all after last Friday night, but finals footy is meant to bring up some surprises so see what happens, maybe this Friday night may lead to a 94 Semi kind of result with no one expecting the Cats to win.

Just want a better effort over last weeks failure.

Not for us.
We've won 2 of our last 9

Yeah we were probably favorites in most of them....
That's irrelavent.
But if you're there often enough, you should be winning your fair share. We don't, and quite simply it's because we shit ourselves when the heat goes on. And the heat is always on in the finals......hence our record

What I’d like to see:

With Naismith,Sinclair and Reid in the side I wouldnt be holding much hope of Towers spending any significant time in the ruck, might take the odd forward contest but that's about it.

Like that match up...good role for Blicavs because he's tall enough and rangey enough. Kennedy's deceptively tall and is almost impossible to bump off the ball/contest so "Inspector Gadget" his ass!

I think Kennedy would be salivating at that match up because Sydney's mids are very good at niggling and organizing themselves around stoppages. They will be hitting Blicavs every stoppage and Kennedy is simply too good for a player like Blicavs.
I think Selwood is a better match up as he is a natural at getting physical if the Sydney players want to go at him all game long.

Out: Guthrie, Kolo, Guthrie, Hendo, Parsons
In: Thurlow, Buzza, Lang, Cockatoo, Menzel
I wouldn't mind seeing Ruggles in for his aggression perhaps instead of Thurlow or Lang. I know the swans have a tall forward line but Hendo was very poor last week and got beaten very badly by Reid last time.

Wish we gave Lang a couple of games at the end of the H&A to get him back up to speed in case we needed to bring him in for finals. I've been bullish on him for a while now, but if he does get the call up his last senior game was all the way back in round 14 where he broke his leg. He's yet to play in a final from what I remember, so maybe he's not stricken with the same poor September performance curse as a lot of his teammates are.

Sums Motlop up really. Had the easy handpass to the open Stanley, yet wants the glory for himself and takes the selfish option.
You have got to be kidding?! One of Motlop's problems is not taking his chances himself and always giving it off.

The amount of times this year that I've wanted him to keep going and have a shot only to give a stupid dinky kick or horrible hand pass..

What I’d like to see:

I agree with you on almost every point. Need S. Selwood to go to Kennedy though. Blicavs has to tag another mid as well. Just not sure which one! Buzza to do the relief rucking.

How I want the team to line up:

IN: Buzza, Menzel, Lang and Cockatoo
OUT: Kolodjashnij (calf), C. Guthrie (calf), Parsons (ankle) and Murdoch (omit)

B: Bews, Lonergan, Henderson
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Tuohy
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Mackie
HF: Lang, Hawkins, Motlop
F: Cockatoo, Buzza, Menzel
R: Smith, J. Selwood, S. Selwood

Int: Blicavs, Menegola, Parfitt, Z. Guthrie

Emg: Stanley, Murdoch and Thurlow

• Buzza, Lang and Cockatoo all in for their pressure. Just have to roll the dice with Cockatoo. I know it's modern day footy, but just leave him in the pocket to do his thing (chase and crumb goals: something we've been missing all year!)
  • Can't take too many guys under injury clouds in to a final, hence dropping Kolodjashnij. We don't really need him in defence, and he's not much of a winger. Similar reason for dropping/resting Parsons and Murdoch (slight injuries in game against Richmond).
  • Too many tall guys in the backline = Mackie to the wing ala 2006/2007.
  • Lonergan to Franklin, Taylor to Reid, Henderson to Sinclair.
  • Hawkins to play more as a CHF again, dragging Grundy away from our goals. Isolate Buzza/Menzel on Melican.
  • Need someone in the forward line to play defensively on Rampe and/or Lloyd. Can't let them intercept and run out of our forward line so easily. Can Lang do this? Where's Jarad Rooke?
Don't think we can pull it off, but I'll remain quietly hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back