Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce is making a comeback just to make "special" comments on MRj games
bruce-went-off-his-chops--1523748290_1352x900.jpg

Similiar to Cyril is capable of having a 12 possesion best on ground performance.

One game this year, cant remember which one, he turned the game with 3 chase down tackles in 5 minutes that all lead to goals, was the most influential player on the ground to half time with 3 possesions. Love him already and the energy in the crowd yesterday anytime he went near the ball was palpable.
Against Collingwood I'm pretty sure.

MRJ has to stay in the team. As others have said, his forward pressure is just awesome. Every time he starts hunting the crowd lifts and you can feel the opposition tighten up. It's also bloody inspiring for our players when they see a second year player putting in repeat efforts - gives the whole side a lift.

And how was the spoil on Hardwick coming out of defence in the 3rd. Back to the ball, turned and spoiled, beat him on the ground, and hit Lynch on the tit. That's what pressure and effort can do.

MRJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kaostagna

Against Collingwood I'm pretty sure.

MRJ has to stay in the team. As others have said, his forward pressure is just awesome. Every time he starts hunting the crowd lifts and you can feel the opposition tighten up. It's also bloody inspiring for our players when they see a second year player putting in repeat efforts - gives the whole side a lift.

And how was the spoil on Hardwick coming out of defence in the 3rd. Back to the ball, turned and spoiled, beat him on the ground, and hit Lynch on the tit. That's what pressure and effort can do.

MRJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kaostagna
THIS!

Watch our players when he does something special, they all literally smile. You cant buy that.

Drafted to Richmond as a father-son selection with pick No. 51 overall at the 2020 AFL National Draft, Rioli Jnr’s two-year extension will further cement his strong affiliation with the Club.

The 19-year-old has booted 15 majors from his first 16 AFL games and is the #1 player in the AFL this season for causing scores from turnovers. Rioli Jnr also ranks #1 at Richmond for tackles per game inside 50, #6 for goals and #8 for goal assists.

tiges.jpg

Drafted to Richmond as a father-son selection with pick No. 51 overall at the 2020 AFL National Draft, Rioli Jnr’s two-year extension will further cement his strong affiliation with the Club.

The 19-year-old has booted 15 majors from his first 16 AFL games and is the #1 player in the AFL this season for causing scores from turnovers. Rioli Jnr also ranks #1 at Richmond for tackles per game inside 50, #6 for goals and #8 for goal assists.

View attachment 1492445
He's really stepped up as the year has gone on, still has plenty of improvement to come as well.

Once he realises how good he can be, watch out and best of all Richmond through and through.

Let’s do a little comparison with the 3 x 22 under 22 small forwards all normalised to 66 minutes TOG per match, which is about average for this position…remembering Rankine is 22yo, Pickett 21yo, and Rioli Jnr and Ginnivan just 19yo.

NameMinutes
played
DisposalsDisposals
per 66 minutes
Goals + Goal AssistsG + GA per 66 MinutesTacklesTackles
per 66 minutes
Contested PossessionsCP per 66 minutesScore InvolvementsSI per 66 minutes
Ginnivan120319610.7412.25281.54904.44925.05
Rankine122824313.1472.53392.091166.231115.97
K Pickett134122511.1462.26562.76994.871025.02
M Rioli Jnr69911010.4222.08373.49444.15555.19

So we can see the 22yo Rankine is first of this group for disposals, goals+goal assists, contested possessions, and score involvements. He is about to be elevated to elite salary, probably in the top 50 in the AFL.

21yo Pickett ranks 2nd for disposals, goals + goal assists, tackles, and contested possessions but 4th for score involvements.

19yo Ginnivan ranks 3rd for disposals, 3rd for goals + goal assists, 3rd for contested possessions, 4th(by miles) for tackles, and 3rd for score involvements.

19yo Maurice Junior ranks:

4th for disposals, but much closer to 2nd than 2nd is to 1st.

4th for goals + goal assists though again much closer to 2nd than 2nd is to 1st.

1st for tackles, well ahead and a mile ahead of 4th.

4th for contested possessions though again closer to 2nd than 2nd is to 1st.

2nd for score involvements, well behind 1st and narrowly ahead of 3rd and 4th.

If you add tackles to contested possessions(similar value) Maurice is ranked 2nd, just ahead of Pickett with Ginnivan miles back. So Maurice is tracking better than all these guys probably including Rankine(given Rankine is almost 3 years older) in the contest. It is the same if you add disposals and tackles, Maurice is second, behind only the much older Rankine.

Goals + Goal assists Maurice sits in 4th not too far behind Pickett and Ginnivan, but of course Maurice doesn’t get credited in this stat for many of his fast turnover tackles that lead to goals, otherwise I am sure he would be sitting 2nd.

What does this tell us? I think Maurice Junior is tracking as well as any of these much vaunted players for real impact on matches per minute played. The almost 3 years older Rankine is clearly ahead of him right now, and Maurice looks neck and neck with Pickett, who is over a year his senior. Ginnivan is the same age as Maurice and couldn’t tie up his boot laces as far as I am concerned. Maurice looks to be on a very steep improvement curve as well.

I think if Rankine, Pickett and Ginnivan are considered the best young 3 small forwards in the AFL right now then we can look forward to Maurice being elite in this position in future years. 😁

Let’s do a little comparison with the 3 x 22 under 22 small forwards all normalised to 66 minutes TOG per match, which is about average for this position…remembering Rankine is 22yo, Pickett 21yo, and Rioli Jnr and Ginnivan just 19yo.

NameMinutes
played
DisposalsDisposals
per 66 minutes
per 66 minutes

So we can see the 22yo Rankine is first of this group for disposals, goals+goal assists, contested possessions, and score involvements. He is about to be elevated to elite salary, probably in the top 50 in the AFL.

21yo Pickett ranks 2nd for disposals, goals + goal assists, tackles, and contested possessions but 4th for score involvements.

19yo Ginnivan ranks 3rd for disposals, 3rd for goals + goal assists, 3rd for contested possessions, 4th(by miles) for tackles, and 3rd for score involvements.

4th for goals + goal assists though again much closer to 2nd than 2nd is to 1st.

If you add tackles to contested possessions(similar value) Maurice is ranked 2nd, just ahead of Pickett with Ginnivan miles back. So Maurice is tracking better than all these guys probably including Rankine(given Rankine is almost 3 years older) in the contest. It is the same if you add disposals and tackles, Maurice is second, behind only the much older Rankine.

Goals + Goal assists Maurice sits in 4th not too far behind Pickett and Ginnivan, but of course Maurice doesn’t get credited in this stat for many of his fast turnover tackles that lead to goals, otherwise I am sure he would be sitting 2nd.

What does this tell us? I think Maurice Junior is tracking as well as any of these much vaunted players for real impact on matches per minute played. The almost 3 years older Rankine is clearly ahead of him right now, and Maurice looks neck and neck with Pickett, who is over a year his senior. Ginnivan is the same age as Maurice and couldn’t tie up his boot laces as far as I am concerned. Maurice looks to be on a very steep improvement curve as well.

I think if Rankine, Pickett and Ginnivan are considered the best young 3 small forwards in the AFL right now then we can look forward to Maurice being elite in this position in future years. 😁
The problem with Ginnivan is he doesnt apply any pressure and IMO will be a player that disappears in a few years.

In less than 20 games, MoJu's shown how damaging he can be.

Further develop his game and it's a frightening thought.

Almost at a goal to game average already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2-3 years time people will be talking about MRj in similar ways to they are Shai Bolton

We have seen the difference in this kids body and stamina in just 2 years and another 2-3 years he will become a mid-fwd
By the time he is 25/26 he will become a full time mid like his dad was

just sign him up to 12 year contract

NameMinutes
played
DisposalsDisposals
per 66 minutes
per 66 minutes

200.gif

Maurice showed tonight he is the business. To get a player like him with a pick in the 50’s in a weak draft is incredible really. He has seemingly gone froma bit tentative and hesitant to being in command of his role in a matter of about 6-8 weeks. His goal tonight involved a stunning side-step and he has won and halved some great contests including in the air. His closing speed is just not like anything I have seen before. Loads of players can do it once every now and again but he does it all the time. Opponents in the clear only have to change their mind once or hesitate in possession slightly and he is on them like a cheetah. His father was an absolutely top class player who I don’t think hit his straps until about 21-22yo. I am starting to wonder if Maurice minor can be somewhere near as good as his dad. There is just something different about young Maurice to any other player on the scene at the moment. Absolute joy to watch.

Maurice showed tonight he is the business. To get a player like him with a pick in the 50’s in a weak draft is incredible really. He has seemingly gone froma bit tentative and hesitant to being in command of his role in a matter of about 6-8 weeks. His goal tonight involved a stunning side-step and he has won and halved some great contests including in the air. His closing speed is just not like anything I have seen before. Loads of players can do it once every now and again but he does it all the time. Opponents in the clear only have to change their mind once or hesitate in possession slightly and he is on them like a cheetah. His father was an absolutely top class player who I don’t think hit his straps until about 21-22yo. I am starting to wonder if Maurice minor can be somewhere near as good as his dad. There is just something different about young Maurice to any other player on the scene at the moment. Absolute joy to watch.
He was elite last night. Every move and tackle he made were elite. Couldn’t agree more with what you’ve said.

Too young to have seen his old man but reckon this kid will be our best player in the blink of an eye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back