Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

When Maurice gets the kind of unconditional support that Castagna got, and knows he will stay in the firsts, then he will blossom into a very handy player. Was trying to do too much last year because he wanted to stay in the side badly. If he tries less hard and just plays with confidence and flair he will kill it. See Bolton’s development as the example of this

The forward 7 surely Lynch- Riewoldt-Miller or other second ruck- bolton/martin- cumberland-rioli-one of graham/ross/sonsie with absolutely red hot competition if any player bar lynch bolton martin is a bit down on form.

Nobody else in the club or possibly the AFL can do what Rioli Jnr does as well as Rioli Jnr does it.
I've got the forward line mix as

HF: Bolton Cumberland Baker
F: Riewoldt Martin Lynch
INT: M.Rioli Miller

Last edited:

I've got the forward line mix as

B: Bolton Cumberland Baker
F: Riewoldt Martin Lynch
INT: M.Rioli Miller

This is the thing, at full strength it is a very tough team to pick again. Our depth had been whittled back bit by bit for a few years but with the influx of talented players in the 2021 intake, plus of course Hopper and Taranto straight into the team and this coincides with the development of a string of fringe young players into AFL ready players in a conga line from the 2017 draft onwards, Miller, Ross, Cumberland, Ralphsmith, Rioli Jnr, it looks to have created a real log-jam. I think the cycle will start reversing again now as the club may look to unload some replaceable players and replace them with cheaper versions ala when Brand Ellis and Conca left. This should also bring some useful draft picks in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotchin prestia hopper hello
Nankervis Hopper Taranto Prestia starting midfield, Cotchin coming off the bench as we don't need him to be front and centre like we have in the past.

Nankervis Hopper Taranto Prestia starting midfield, Cotchin coming off the bench as we don't need him to be front and centre like we have in the past.

Yeah.

Even last season Cotchin was going head to head with the oppo best inside mid in numerous matches. Players like Jack Steele I remember racking it up on him.

He tried his best but he's too old to be doing that. Not his fault they got the best of him

Yeah.

Even last season Cotchin was going head to head with the oppo best inside mid in numerous matches. Players like Jack Steele I remember racking it up on him.

He tried his best but he's too old to be doing that. Not his fault they got the best of him
Cotchin in short sharp bursts in the middle of quarters and at the end of quarters when you're wanting to give the gun mids a extended break across the quarter time breaks seems like his best position this year.

Cotchin in short sharp bursts in the middle of quarters and at the end of quarters when you're wanting to give the gun mids a extended break across the quarter time breaks seems like his best position this year.

I expect cotchin will be in the guts when it matters

Rioli Jnr looks a bit heavy/top heavy this pre-season.
Is this part of the plan to build him up, don't want to lose his electrifying pace, its his biggest asset !!

He's looking like Budda.

1671516580650.png

Hopefully he can run a lot prior to round 1 as it might be a tough team to get a game for

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back