Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Maurice showed tonight he is the business. To get a player like him with a pick in the 50’s in a weak draft is incredible really. He has seemingly gone froma bit tentative and hesitant to being in command of his role in a matter of about 6-8 weeks. His goal tonight involved a stunning side-step and he has won and halved some great contests including in the air. His closing speed is just not like anything I have seen before. Loads of players can do it once every now and again but he does it all the time. Opponents in the clear only have to change their mind once or hesitate in possession slightly and he is on them like a cheetah. His father was an absolutely top class player who I don’t think hit his straps until about 21-22yo. I am starting to wonder if Maurice minor can be somewhere near as good as his dad. There is just something different about young Maurice to any other player on the scene at the moment. Absolute joy to watch.

he has good speed, power and balance combo and nice composure to.

Its in the genes a bit, some stuff hard to teach, he just knows how to play at times. Good agility to

He knows he belongs now and can enjoy the off season and thrive

Last edited:
Christ he's exciting to watch. He just needs to clean up his disposal and just calm down a bit, which I'm sure he will.

There was a bit of play in the last qtr, he had 2 or 3 blokes around him and he was in his knees. He grabbed the ball and from a standing start he nearly out weaseled them. He reminded me of someone....

Christ he's exciting to watch. He just needs to clean up his disposal and just calm down a bit, which I'm sure he will.

There was a bit of play in the last qtr, he had 2 or 3 blokes around him and he was in his knees. He grabbed the ball and from a standing start he nearly out weaseled them. He reminded me of someone....

I think he is calm, just has fast twitches and thinks quickly in the moment

He's improved so much, last night was awesome for a player who only has a few games under his belt, could go on to be the most exciting Rioli so far IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looked comfortable playing finals, should play all 22 plus finals next year.

disappointed with his kick i50 in the last quarter near the end that went to a lions player, but he'll learn from that and take 30 seconds off the clock.
Something we tend to do a lot I have noticed

If the player kicking inside 50 is rushed they tend to just go for a kick into that hot spot directly in front about 25m out

9 times out of 10 it’s just picked up by a defender in a zone set up by themselves

Understand why they elect to kick it to that spot but also I don’t because we never seem to have any players manning that spot either

Personally I would like to see Rioli hold his spot in the 22. He is a unique type of player even if he goes quiet for a while.

It might be tough with a decent list around him and competition for a forward spot.

Rioli. Cumberland. Bolton brings a youthful flair which is nice as well

The forward 7 surely Lynch- Riewoldt-Miller or other second ruck- bolton/martin- cumberland-rioli-one of graham/ross/sonsie with absolutely red hot competition if any player bar lynch bolton martin is a bit down on form.

Nobody else in the club or possibly the AFL can do what Rioli Jnr does as well as Rioli Jnr does it.

Should be a rule that if you bid, you have to take your next pick.
I have no problem with what he did.
But if you are going to bid, you must take the next pick and not be able to pass.
I disagree. They should be able to bid on a player they want and then not be forced to take a player they don’t want. You’re logic is flawed.

I disagree. They should be able to bid on a player they want and then not be forced to take a player they don’t want. You’re logic is flawed.
Except Dodoro never really desperately wanted him. He just did it to be a smart arse.
Well done for digging up a three year old post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back