Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll get shouted down (no worries) but I don't think Sinpkin is all that great. He's good, not as good as I hoped (yet)

If he remains our so-called best player (if Syd medal anything to go by) we won't be winning any Premierships anytime soon.

I thought he had a pretty ordinary year (terrible ball use in particular, very poor defensive running - so this result is strange to me. LDU clearly a superior player)

Kudos for his medal and he no doubt gives it his all.
It was a fairly poor year for an BnF win, but he did improve as it went on. Took a little too much upon himself with the lack of cunners, and Goldy not always being in the ruck, and his composure suffered. LDU only missed out on winning because of the game time he missed and injury, but would still have been very unlikely to come top three in half the clubs this year.
Both have the talent to improve along with the club as a whole.

A true leader admits where his weaknesses are and works hard to address them

True and that's a great comment H. His honesty is welcome.

I just felt frankly he was a liability at times as he is slow for his size and it's exposed outside, so to win our best player suggests how bad we really are (with Cunners out, McKay underrated, Goldstein out of position etc)

I'll get shouted down (no worries) but I don't think Sinpkin is all that great. He's good, not as good as I hoped (yet)

If he remains our so-called best player (if Syd medal anything to go by) we won't be winning any Premierships anytime soon.

I thought he had a pretty ordinary year (terrible ball use in particular, very poor defensive running - so this result is strange to me. LDU clearly a superior player)

Kudos for his medal and he no doubt gives it his all.

You’re wrong. You’re not valuing his leadership high enough. Without him being so stand up this year, North are seriously ****ed and LDU wouldn’t have been able to do what he does.

Of course a BnF in a premiership year is the benchmark, but a BnF in a spoon year shows character. Good characters, good teams win flags.

You’re wrong. You’re not valuing his leadership high enough. Without him being so stand up this year, North are seriously *ed and LDU wouldn’t have been able to do what he does.

Of course a BnF in a premiership year is the benchmark, but a BnF in a spoon year shows character. Good characters, good teams win flags.

I'm not "wrong" Donkey but we disagree.

Arent we allowed to disagree anymore?

I said he was good, I like Sinpkin. No doubt he can play but for mine overrated.

Personally I feel he needs to improve, his "leadership" has led to two wooden spoons so not sure how you equate leadership to results mate.

I'm not "wrong" Donkey but we disagree.

Arent we allowed to disagree anymore?

I said he was good, I like Sinpkin. No doubt he can play but for mine overrated.

Personally I feel he needs to improve, his "leadership" has led to two wooden spoons so not sure how you equate leadership to results mate.

I didn’t suggest we can’t disagree, I’m just stating you’re wrong.

I didn’t suggest we can’t disagree, I’m just stating you’re wrong.

But that's opinion not fact.

He isn't as good as you think- Jy tries but is slow and has clear issues with his game before he can be considered elite. (as previous I think LDU clearly more talented and no it's not due to Jy whatsoever- he's just better)

He isn't as good as you think- Jy tries but is slow and has clear issues with his game before he can be considered elite. (as previous I think LDU clearly more talented and no it's not due to Jy whatsoever- he's just better)

Fair enough. I don’t want to get into a debate with you about it. You have your opinion, I have mine. You’re not going to change my mind and I doubt I can change yours.

Let’s move on hey.

Fair enough. I don’t want to get into a debate with you about it. You have your opinion, I have mine. You’re not going to change my mind and I doubt I can change yours.

Let’s move on hey.

FWIW I think Jy especially will improve and be more damaging with a better team around him.

Either way I'm happy with both Jy and LDU being on our team not others and surely we can agree on that Donkey ; )

I have read people saying Jy wasn’t good this yr he missed one game , pretty much carried the midfield with some sporadic help from others in a team which looked lost and had most of its confidence zapped . I would expect him to shag kicks considering he had to cover for half the team he would have been stuffed in parts of games . Jy is a flipping superstar will be our next Captain and be an ornament for our club until hopefully he retires. Back to back best and fairests also shows his dedication and effort in 2 trying yrs.

Last edited:

Jy cant kick. He is good at everything else an inside mid needs to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah good point plus he can be exposed as he isn't quick.

He has lots of tools though so whilst I sound harsh it's because I have such high (maybe unfair) expectations, not that he is no good.

He is quality and I think we'll see more of that when he receives more quality help (I was disappointed in Greenwood to be honest)
Tough nuggety bastards aren’t overly quick. As general rule of thumb

Great at a lot of those things too. But you're right that his kicking is his weakness.
Whats Jy great at? I’d give him a solid pass for everything else other than kicking. He flopped a bunch of handballs in 2022 also However, i’ll give him a mulligan based on how shit around the ball we were on set up.

His leadership and his morale boosting attitude is ****ing phenomenal. Thats what I see when I look at Jy

Was a fan. Now i think he's a midget hack who couldn't hit the side of a barn door. Trade him imo

311642616_478268431009478_476383335914135067_n.jpg

Dunno why I'm thinking about this now, but in light of the entire Clarkson situation and the fact that he ended up starting on time this week, is it fair to say that outside of Dr. Hood, Jy is the most important person at our football club? Or more likely Scanlon or even Clarkson himself?

It would seem impossible that, as probably the most influential person in our changing room and a proud First Nations man himself, if Jy wasn't fully on board with Clarkson starting when he did then it just wouldn't have happened.

It's easy to imagine that, after Sonja, Jy's number was the first one that Clarkson called from a North perspective. He would have been the conduit between Clarkson and not only the other indigenous players on the list but probably the entire playing group, and if he gave it his approval it's likely that the others would have followed his lead.

Jy is a good player and seems to be a good leader. I don't think that he's a future AA like LDU (or Goater 😁) but no team is lining up 22 AAs.

He is one of the players on our list who is good enough to be on the list when we win the premiership in 2025 and he will probably captain that squad.

Jy is a good player and seems to be a good leader. I don't think that he's a future AA like LDU (or Goater 😁) but no team is lining up 22 AAs.
Disagree here JGreezy. Jy can definitely win a AA spot as he's the symbol of the midfield group. His form will only get better as he approaches the peak levels of AFL footballers.

There's still room for improvement in Jy and when that happens it will be a special thing to watch. Higgins got one from becoming a freak with us after injuries and inconsistencies at the Dogs.

It will happen!

Disagree here JGreezy. Jy can definitely win a AA spot as he's the symbol of the midfield group. His form will only get better as he approaches the peak levels of AFL footballers.

There's still room for improvement in Jy and when that happens it will be a special thing to watch. Higgins got one from becoming a freak with us after injuries and inconsistencies at the Dogs.

It will happen!
I didn't say that he can't. I don't expect him to. Being an AA midfielder is a very high bar.

Jy seems like someone who works hard and maximises his potential. He hasn't been held back by injuries or inconsistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back