Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't say that he can't. I don't expect him to. Being an AA midfielder is a very high bar.

Jy seems like someone who works hard and maximises his potential. He hasn't been held back by injuries or inconsistency.
i think he's the got accumulation and stat-stuffing capabilities to get to that level when he's in a good team. like, his best games are 30+ possessions with a combo of 10+ clearances, 10+ tackles, 10+ i50s type of shit -- lol and before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying he does ALL that in one game. he's played games against richmond last year, and the hawks a couple of years ago and the pies before that (and that's just off the top of my head) where he's the best player on the park by so far that it's ridiculous

as he moves into his mid-career phase -- it's super easy to forget that he's still just 24 -- the only thing that will ultimately prevent him from joining the true upper echelon of mids in the league is his kicking consistency (or injury). I love him as a player, and i don't hide that, but i fully admit it was a massive issue this year.

but i'm also optimistic that he can fix it because he's been a good kick in the past. he's never going to be a real long, line-breaking kick, but there's no reason why he can't lower that clanger count and get his DE% to 70%-ish which is i think about average for an inside mid

i think he's the got accumulation and stat-stuffing capabilities to get to that level when he's in a good team. like, his best games are 30+ possessions with a combo of 10+ clearances, 10+ tackles, 10+ i50s type of s**t -- lol and before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying he does ALL that in one game. he's played games against richmond last year, and the hawks a couple of years ago and the pies before that (and that's just off the top of my head) where he's the best player on the park by so far that it's ridiculous

as he moves into his mid-career phase -- it's super easy to forget that he's still just 24 -- the only thing that will ultimately prevent him from joining the true upper echelon of mids in the league is his kicking consistency (or injury). I love him as a player, and i don't hide that, but i fully admit it was a massive issue this year.

but i'm also optimistic that he can fix it because he's been a good kick in the past. he's never going to be a real long, line-breaking kick, but there's no reason why he can't lower that clanger count and get his DE% to 70%-ish which is i think about average for an inside mid
I don't think that I'm underselling him by saying that he can be a premiership midfielder and premiership captain but unlikely to be AA. He is a long way off AA midfielder right now.

Who was the worst pure mid AA this year? Brayshaw?

image.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back