Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Listened to his winners speech again. Great to here him identify his struggles with kicking as something to work on in the offseason.
yeah is very self aware which is great

he speaks very well, trains hard, can see why he's the favourite to be skipper

So he wins two B&F, back to back, probably going to be the new Captain and this Board dishes up the previous page of rubbish.

Pathetic
Maybe some of it but some was relevant.

Someone posted his kicking efficiency numbers and the pattern showed a decline since debuting. The numbers this season were < 50 percent which is quite poor. All this validated by Simpkin who acknowledged his kicking as something to improve.

Maybe some of it but some was relevant.

Someone posted his kicking efficiency numbers and the pattern showed a decline since debuting. The numbers this season were < 50 percent which is quite poor. All this validated by Simpkin who acknowledged his kicking as something to improve.

I’m talking about that addition of that List; joke or not, poor timing

I've got these ahead of him

Ryan - 3 votes.
Tarranto - 6 votes.
Ridley - 0.
Berry - 2 votes.
Scrimshaw - 0.
Florent - 0.
Darcy - 6 votes.
English - 6 votes.
Daicos - 4 votes.
McGrath - 0.
Edited for Brownlow Votes.

Jy had 6 votes, admitted he had a poor year and identified what he needed to improve (as he does every year). Tarranto and two rucks got as many votes as Jy from that year. No one else got more.

The Brownlow is a poor judge of players in many ways but at the same time good players get votes regularly. Florent and Tarranto are the only two mids from that draft who rate at the same level as Jy imo. None of the other players do but rucks are different cos a good ruck stands out from (and above) other players.

Anyway according to Charlie there are no better players than Jy on that list.

All the events of the last day or so has got me thinking about Jy.

So many people on here bashing him all year... this guy bleeds blue and white, like WE all do. Can't question his commitment to the club.

Agreed.

I was always a fan of McDonald but I've definitely warmed to Jy

I think he really is the one to bring this club together as captain and it can't happen soon enough.

All the events of the last day or so has got me thinking about Jy.

So many people on here bashing him all year... this guy bleeds blue and white, like WE all do. Can't question his commitment to the club.

It’s not a lot of people bashing him, it’s just a loud handful. Every North person I know personally really like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He admitted himself after the Syd that his kicking wasn’t as good this year.

I loved hearing that because I know he’ll work hard and get better.

The sad part is he has good kicking skills in the shorter range, he just doesn't go with it.

While LDU blossoms into one of the best in the league he’s going to lift Jy with him.

Jy can stop trying to do too much. Without Cunners, it was like he was trying to carry the team. With LDU looking like the man, Jy can just go about his business.

I feel like you could see Jy's kicking improve towards the end of the year anyway. It's not his kicking that I think is his problem, it's his decision making. Or lack of.

Towards the end of the year I felt he would find the outlet with his kicking and would hit targets more often than not. Instead the hack kick forward, he was looking sideways for the option. As LDU becomes the primary inside mid, I think Jy will have more time and space

If we had a 24 year old Above Average on almost all statistical categories mid coming from another club to us right now we would be **** a hoop. Particularly if he was carrying the burden of little to no support for the best part of two years. And he had elite training capability and oozed leadership. Yes there some deficiencies in kicking but as a third or fourth banana in an elite midfield we would be rapt. So I really do wish the Jy haters would appreciate what we have because without him things would look a lot more dire.

I feel like you could see Jy's kicking improve towards the end of the year anyway. It's not his kicking that I think is his problem, it's his decision making. Or lack of.

Towards the end of the year I felt he would find the outlet with his kicking and would hit targets more often than not. Instead the hack kick forward, he was looking sideways for the option. As LDU becomes the primary inside mid, I think Jy will have more time and space
The thing that he got back in the five or so games was his wicked sidestep. This meant he had a second or two more to compose himself and and find the right target.

I expect that this was mostly psychological - this guy was doing all the heavy lifting keeping the team together. Bring back the confidence>side step>better kicking.

The thing that he got back in the five or so games was his wicked sidestep. This meant he had a second or two more to compose himself and and find the right target.

I expect that this was mostly psychological - this guy was doing all the heavy lifting keeping the team together. Bring back the confidence>side step>better kicking.
I think that and just sheer workload. We were expecting a lot out of a pretty young mid and to be honest I just don't think he's physically built to be a #1 inside mid all the time. LDU coming on with a bang helped and I think Phillips doing the same next year will also free him up a lot. Hits the goals when he gets on a run as well so he has other strings once we don't expect him in the middle all game.

I'll get shouted down (no worries) but I don't think Sinpkin is all that great. He's good, not as good as I hoped (yet)

If he remains our so-called best player (if Syd medal anything to go by) we won't be winning any Premierships anytime soon.

I thought he had a pretty ordinary year (terrible ball use in particular, very poor defensive running - so this result is strange to me. LDU clearly a superior player)

Kudos for his medal and he no doubt gives it his all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back