Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

So your 60 metres out siren goes 1 point behind in the 20 -26 GF now you know you can't make the distance so you throw the footy back to the ump and walk off.
So you're 30m out with 11 seconds to go in the 2026 GF. X taps it downs to Jy, Sheezel runs past after his man cops a block, but Jy keeps the pill and tries to break tackles from Cripps, Hewitt, and Kennedy. HTB. Game over.

I like this game.

All I'm saying is don't take on the games most prolific tackler and his 192cm/88kg mate. Ambition/ability and all that jazz.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

ah so i see we're back at the massively underrate jy simpkin part of the cycle

Lol this threads cooked.

Thought he was fantastic. Same people saying he should play within his limits are the same people who wanted LDU to stop taking it on. Yeah he got done a couple of times but I remember he was taking it on like 2 or 3 weeks ago and got a perfect 10 votes.

He has also been our best inside 50 kick over the last month. Go watch his inside 50s.
We saw the best of him and the not so good yesterday.

He had 8 inside 50s yesterday which is his strength.
And in a game decided by 4 points, he got done 3 times for holding the ball.

The reason it’s being highlighted is because it’s now happened two weeks in a row. He got done 4 times against the Dogs in a day the midfield got well beaten.

The club and supporters were so desperate for a win and Ainsworth was one straight kick away from delivering 4 weeks of heartbreak.

Getting the 4 points is what counts and to quote Al Pacino from Any Given Sunday - it really is a game of inches.

We were lucky to win.
Just like we’ve been unlucky to lose recently.

But what the Collingwood and Melbourne games have taught me is that you really need to aim to be perfect in this game to guarantee the win. It’s not equal. It’s not fair. And if there are flaws that can be fixed or ironed out, then that needs to happen. Thats the sentiment from observations coming out of the game.

The reason it’s being highlighted is because it’s now happened two weeks in a row. He got done 4 times against the Dogs in a day the midfield got well beaten.

The club and supporters were so desperate for a win and Ainsworth was one straight kick away from delivering 4 weeks of heartbreak.

Getting the 4 points is what counts and to quote Al Pacino from Any Given Sunday - it really is a game of inches.

We were lucky to win.

But what the Collingwood and Melbourne games have taught me is that you really need to aim to be perfect in this game to guarantee the win. It’s not equal. It’s not fair. And if there are flaws that can be fixed or ironed out, then that needs to happen. Thats the sentiment from observations coming out of the game.
Play within your limits.

Thats all that’s needed.

We were lucky to win.

He gets umpired differently than other players. At least two of those frees were not really there and even the third ... exactly the same thing was let go against the GC all day.

Against Footscray he had one htb in the first play of the game despite kicking it in the tackle as soon as he was tackled and one of the four free kicks he gave away was a tackle he made and if he'd been on the receiving end of would have been done htb judging by the other frees against him.

He gets umpired differently than other players. At least two of those frees were not really there and even the third ... exactly the same thing was let go against the GC all day.

Against Footscray he had one htb in the first play of the game despite kicking it in the tackle as soon as he was tackled and one of the four free kicks he gave away was a tackle he made and if he'd been on the receiving end of would have been done htb judging by the other frees against him.
I agree to a point, but he's still one of them players that tries fighting through instead of eating the tackle for a ball up...

I've watched the replay 3x now(flu) he was great, but he cost us a goal with 3.30 to go in the 1st from trying to break 2 tacklers 30m out from goal. He eats the tackle, it's ball up.

It's a minor gripe, but he takes that out of his game, and he is a dead set gun.

I agree to a point, but he's still one of them players that tries fighting through instead of eating the tackle for a ball up...

I've watched the replay 3x now(flu) he was great, but he cost us a goal with 3.30 to go in the 1st from trying to break 2 tacklers 30m out from goal. He eats the tackle, it's ball up.

It's a minor gripe, but he takes that out of his game, and he is a dead set gun.

I get it but that's another thing on the AFL for its shit rule interpretations.

Players who wear the same tackle without making an attempt to get the ball clear don't get penalised, players who try to make the play do. Its ****en stupid. The idea that even thinking about raising your arm (to protect yourself and brace for impact as much as fending) is a prior opportunity is just nuts.

The worst thing is it makes players go against their instincts and the best players play on instinct and every now and then do amazing stuff because of it.

Its a symptom of him trying to get the most he can out of every contest.

Players who wear the same tackle without making an attempt to get the ball clear don't get penalised, players who try to make the play do. Its ****en stupid. The idea that even thinking about raising your arm (to protect yourself and brace for impact as much as fending) is a prior opportunity is just nuts.

The worst thing is it makes players go against their instincts and the best players play on instinct and every now and then do amazing stuff because of it.

Yeah one he was basically tackled before he even hit the ground but because the forearm was out thats his prior? Umps need to show a little more common sense. But the umps have been asked to make decisions faster so can understand why it happens, hopefully as they go over more footage they'll get the balance right more often.

100%, but it is what it is...

We could wax lyrical about almost every rule in the game and the ridiculous interpretations that go with them

Yes, true.

With Jy ... he plays better when he's committed to the contest 100% and second guessing that to avoid a few dodgy frees might make him second guess the rest of his game too.

When he does that he doesn't play anywhere near as well.

I hate this htb interpretation with players making no attempt and letting themselves get tackled. On one occasion a gc player actually flopped to the ground before the tackle even started.

But our players need to play the way it’s being umpired, and it’s not just Jy trying to bust out of no win situations either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umpiring was bullshit last week. But umps know he likes to fend or balk and take the tackler on now. So he's going to be umpired more harshly whenever he starts in the middle.
I think this issue will be redundant going forward with Wardlaw coming back this week anyway.

The umpiring was bullshit last week. But umps know he likes to fend or balk and take the tackler on now. So he's going to be umpired more harshly whenever he starts in the middle.
I think this issue will be redundant going forward with Wardlaw coming back this week anyway.
What a ridiculous take, if that were true LDU would be in trouble with it as well.

Have you seen how quickly LDU has been pinged for htb lately, even when he gets a handball away?
That’s not the player being umpired with pre-conceived notions, just the change in interpretation of the rule.

That’s not the player being umpired with pre-conceived notions, just the change in interpretation of the rule.
I don't think that's the case. This has been happening for weeks and involves him being pinged after getting rid of the ball legally immediately on being tackled. Umps wouldn't be paying that unless they were looking for it with him cos they don't pay it against other players.

Well said ferball

What a ridiculous take, if that were true LDU would be in trouble with it as well.
Have you watched any footy at all in the past few weeks?
LDU did cop it.
LDU is just stronger and more mobile enough to not get pinned.

I feel Jy was unfairly treated against the Dogs and some of it continued on against the Suns.
Which is why I’m frustrated cause he needed to realise that and adapt.
Hes the Captain. Don’t give the umps a reason to pay a free against you.

I don't think that's the case. This has been happening for weeks and involves him being pinged after getting rid of the ball legally immediately on being tackled. Umps wouldn't be paying that unless they were looking for it with him cos they don't pay it against other players.

Well said ferball

Have you watched any footy at all in the past few weeks?
LDU did cop it.
LDU is just stronger and more mobile enough to not get pinned.

I feel Jy was unfairly treated against the Dogs and some of it continued on against the Suns.
Which is why I’m frustrated cause he needed to realise that and adapt.
Hes the Captain. Don’t give the umps a reason to pay a free against you.
Players have been copping some weird holding the balls across the league since the change in interpretation.

This is not some weird individual vendetta where they are being targeted by the umpires.

LDU and Jy have been copping some weird holding the balls across the league since the change in interpretation.

This looks like some weird individual vendetta where they are being targeted by the umpires.

All it takes to see that is to watch the replays of the GCS, Western, Melbourne and Collingwood games.

And Bailey Scott says Hi too.

Players have been copping some weird holding the balls across the league since the change in interpretation.

This is not some weird individual vendetta where they are being targeted by the umpires.
Why would you frame it as a "weird individual vendetta" when its more likely something that discussed when they are training and then as a result it becomes something they look for because that's what they were briefed about. So its not conscious targeting.

The way I see it isn't a vendetta but more that because those players take on the tackler they are ones who are cited as examples to look out for. Its not just us that cop it because its not just our players that are capable of taking on the tackler like that.

Why would you frame it as a "weird individual vendetta" when its more likely something that discussed when they are training and then as a result it becomes something they look for because that's what they were briefed about. So its not conscious targeting.

The way I see it isn't a vendetta but more that because those players take on the tackler they are ones who are cited as examples to look out for. Its not just us that cop it because its not just our players that are capable of taking on the tackler like that.
Because the way the point that I called out as ridiculous was framed that Simpkin was going to be “umpired more harshly” because of the umpires knowing how he likes to play in regard to taking the tackler on etc.

You are arguing with me about the same point I was originally making that they are just being umpired based off what they are doing in that moment and not any pre-conceived notions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back