Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the way the point that I called out as ridiculous was framed that Simpkin was going to be “umpired more harshly” because of the umpires knowing how he likes to play in regard to taking the tackler on etc.

You are arguing with me about the same point I was originally making that they are just being umpired based off what they are doing in that moment and not any pre-conceived notions.
Simpson and other players with that reputation will be umpired more harshly but it isn't necessarily a deliberate thing, more a form of psychological priming.

Just because it looks like you’re doing a lot doesn’t mean you’re that good Jy.

I don’t see him in the premiership DNA of this team.
You can always tell when he thinks or knows he's stuffed up. It's 120% effort immediately thereafter, all doggy-paddle arms and thrashing effort only to end up bare inches short of making a tackle or a smother.

Didn’t see him getting around the guys much, didn’t see him trying to settle the ship either. Didn’t see him calling for more after a lethargic looking half time break.

Did see him give away turnovers to goals, did see him point and did see him think he could break tackles with the size and speed he doesn’t process and get pinged.

I just don’t know what’s the point. Cripps can break tackles at least, I’d rather we address this midfield mix that’s just too one dimensional and slow.

Move him to half forward next week.
He wants to be the man but he isnt.
LDU is. Harry is. Wardlaw is. McKercher is. Powell maybe even is.
Jy isnt.

Not taking the first option, then trying to fend off, then getting done holding the ball.
His game is B-grade level and this group is going to achieve greater success than that.

Kingy is right. The senior boys let the young guns down more often that not. We got out of jail today. We didn't against the Pies and Demons.
More than happy for him to continue as a role player but his teammates are going past him.
I posted this two weeks ago after the win against the Suns.

Not much has changed.

He had it 11 times in the 1st quarter but he had 2 costly turnovers and got done holding the ball as well.

He then went missing after that.
When Carlton made their move in the 3rd quarter, we simply had no response.
We couldn’t go with them and we were desperate for a steadier and some cool heads.

I still believe his kicking inside 50 is top notch and half forward is his role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching live at the ground, thought he was important in the middle during the first and 2nd quarter but didn’t seem to influence much beyond then. I’ll have to watch the replay for a proper assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I posted this two weeks ago after the win against the Suns.

Not much has changed.

He had it 11 times in the 1st quarter but he had 2 costly turnovers and got done holding the ball as well.

He then went missing after that.
When Carlton made their move in the 3rd quarter, we simply had no response.
We couldn’t go with them and we were desperate for a steadier and some cool heads.

I still believe his kicking inside 50 is top notch and half forward is his role.
Can't see that at all. His kicking at goal from 50 or running into it yes, his inside 50's are very inconsistent to my eye.

Can't see that at all. His kicking at goal from 50 or running into it yes, his inside 50's are very inconsistent to my eye.
Apologies shinte.
Correct, when he gets it at half forward and has time and space to deliver it, he is a very good kick. The Melbourne game is the benchmark.

Its the kicks forward under pressure from the middle that lets him down.

6 score involvements I see

Second most for north I see

There is some absolute tripe being spoken in this thread.

Embarrassing tripe
He got caught a couple of times and was penalised for holding the ball. Also happened in a few of the games prior. Copped a heavy bagging for it in the GD thread. He doesn't always seem to get the same amount of "prior opportunity" as others. Maybe he takes the tackler on, but it's amazing how some can be swung around a full 360 or more and then not be penalised despite not making any attempt to dispose of the ball (or worse, just flinging it out) while others are pinged almost the instant they take possession (or in Fisher's case, not even).

Jy is one who seems to get very little benefit of the doubt.

He got caught a couple of times and was penalised for holding the ball. Also happened in a few of the games prior. Copped a heavy bagging for it in the GD thread. He doesn't always seem to get the same amount of "prior opportunity" as others. Maybe he takes the tackler on, but it's amazing how some can be swung around a full 360 or more and then not be penalised despite not making any attempt to dispose of the ball (or worse, just flinging it out) while others are pinged almost the instant they take possession (or in Fisher's case, not even).

Jy is one who seems to get very little benefit of the doubt.

Wardlaw, LDU, Cunners

3 guys that regularly did or do get caught holding the ball.

Simpkin does as well.

I don’t get the issue.

LDU and Wardlaw, also consistently miss kicks. As do sheezel and Kerch.

It’s afl, hitting targets isn’t easy 100% of the time.

Wardlaw, LDU, Cunners

3 guys that regularly did or do get caught holding the ball.

Simpkin does as well.

I don’t get the issue.

LDU and Wardlaw, also consistently miss kicks. As do sheezel and Kerch.

It’s afl, hitting targets isn’t easy 100% of the time.
Oh I agree. I think Jy is doing OK. Some of the bagging is off colour IMHO and is certainly not applied even handedly. I'm just saying that I think some umps pull the whistle out with maggoty glee as soon as they see Jy run through the centre. Other players get far more leniency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back