Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don’t understand the thoughts of this post

Were Pie fans running around the past two years posting that Pendles is being surpassed by Daicos?

I think the biggest learning the past five years is to hold onto the 26 year olds with 150 games of experience to compliment the Juniors

To be that makes for a winning team that is contention for Finals and beyond?
Not sure what you mean.

I said his role is best suited at half forward as we have more suitable and stronger options in the middle now. Not to axe him from the side completely.

The Pendles comparison doesn’t quite stack up.
Pendles is in the back end of his career and about to play his 400th game.
He has been on the decline for a few years now.
Jy isn’t. So no Pies supporter is going to make that point.

I mean if you wanted to link the two comparisons, the Pies won a flag based on the positional change where Macrae found a role at half back for Pendles with stints in the middle and Daicos became a full time mid.

Bloke has been sensational since returning v Eagles.

Leads, has experience and the bulk of his inside work was fantastic.

Heaven forbid he makes a mistake or two!
No one is saying he can't make a mistake. Everyone does, but taking 1st option every time will improve him as a footballer and us as a team

He is listed at 183cm/77kg. He has no right to believe he can plough his way through 2-3 tacklers and get off an effective disposal.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Play within your limits. Thats leading by example.
Not trying to do too much with the footy that leaves us exposed on the turnover or when his teammates sprint forward.
Jy is most effective in space when he can burn off his opponent and kick the ball inside 50. As we saw against the Demons.
His role is at half forward and moving up the ground.

I think the idea that Jye is a liability because he "isn't playing within his limits" or "trying to do too much with the footy" seems like a massive stretch. I've been rewatching the game this morning and the two holding-the-ball decisions that were given against him in the first half weren't instances where Jy ignored options and was caught trying to do too much. He played a really solid game and led well.

Of course, as we evolve over the next few seasons, Jye and several other players will need to find a balance between genuine midfield minutes and contributing strongly in secondary roles. He will continue to have plenty of genuine midfield minutes.

I think the idea that Jye is a liability because he "isn't playing within his limits" or "trying to do too much with the footy" seems like a massive stretch. I've been rewatching the game this morning and the two holding-the-ball decisions that were given against him in the first half weren't instances where Jy ignored options and was caught trying to do too much. He played a really solid game and led well.

Of course, as we evolve over the next few seasons, Jye and several other players will need to find a balance between genuine midfield minutes and contributing strongly in secondary roles. He will continue to have plenty of genuine midfield minutes.
We don’t need Jy to be that main man anymore.
A luxury we can finally afford.

This is my point. LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, and even Powell are players I’d prefer in the middle. Kerch too when he gets stronger. And that’s right now. In 2026 our midfield is going to be crazy shit.
Phillips when he’s tagging too is an option to consider.

They can’t all play full time mid. We’re struggling to give Powell midfield minutes as it is.

Good problem to have.

Watching the replay, and although I love Simpkin, he needed to kick that goal in the second. It went straight up the other end and Anderson kicks one.
It reminded me of the match against Freo. Leaders need to kick those.
He did it against WC. Swings and roundabouts, I reckon. My only gripe with Jy is that, at times, he’s too slow making up his mind what to do. Even with that, he needs to polish up his handballs under pressure. Lots of lesser players have mastered that better than him.

No one is saying he can't make a mistake. Everyone does, but taking 1st option every time will improve him as a footballer and us as a team

He is listed at 183cm/77kg. He has no right to believe he can plough his way through 2-3 tacklers and get off an effective disposal.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
No right?

Some of the language on here makes me chuckle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what you mean.

I said his role is best suited at half forward as we have more suitable and stronger options in the middle now. Not to axe him from the side completely.

The Pendles comparison doesn’t quite stack up.
Pendles is in the back end of his career and about to play his 400th game.
He has been on the decline for a few years now.
Jy isn’t. So no Pies supporter is going to make that point.

I mean if you wanted to link the two comparisons, the Pies won a flag based on the positional change where Macrae found a role at half back for Pendles with stints in the middle and Daicos became a full time mid.

Maybe i misunderstood but you said others are passing him by which suggests that he is on the decline?

Or is he just playing his role and others are passing him by?

Jy is attacking the footy at full tilt which shows he is over the concussion issues. Love this as it creates for LDU and sheez to benefit.
I reckon his form has been improving by the week, plays with intent and perfect leader for the younger players.
The young guys always praise him when been interviewed

Bloke has been sensational since returning v Eagles.

Leads, has experience and the bulk of his inside work was fantastic.

Heaven forbid he makes a mistake or two!
Agree, was a pretty solid game in contrast to some wanting games when he was concussed, carying some injuries and possibly not the most stable personal situation however the last few weeks has been a good block of games. The clutch game a few weeks ago obviously the highlight.

Maybe i misunderstood but you said others are passing him by which suggests that he is on the decline?

As midfielders yes.
His role will be half forward pushing up into the middle if needed.

The reason other players are passing him by is because they are insanely good players. LDU, Sheeze and Wardlaw are freaks and its no shame to Jy if they've gone past him. I don't think Powell has and Mckercher hasn't either tho he could cos he's a freak as well.

If Jy stays at the level he was (maybe a little improvement, but he's near his peak,) and they go past him then wooo bloody hooo!!!! Cos he's a great player. As we saw recently he's capable of winning matches himself.

Jy is a good player to have in the 22. Good leader and can play a number of roles.

You don't have your best players every week. Sometimes you need him in the middle at most bounces. Sometimes he plays off half forward or the wing.

You have 22 spots. He earns one of them, easily. I don't even think it's close.

Lol this threads cooked.

Thought he was fantastic. Same people saying he should play within his limits are the same people who wanted LDU to stop taking it on. Yeah he got done a couple of times but I remember he was taking it on like 2 or 3 weeks ago and got a perfect 10 votes.

He has also been our best inside 50 kick over the last month. Go watch his inside 50s.

I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I expect the captain of the side to perform to an extremely high level and not make similar mistakes over and over again.
He played well for Pete’s sake! Was he best on? No. But he cracked in when he needed to. Did a lot of the menial stuff with Phillips. The result was that our midfield tore them a new one for 70% of the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back