Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on Clarko's comments on Friday, its clear how he and the club feel about the current leaders and the fact were so open to trying to bring in a Viney or Ward or Parker says all we need to know about Jy and the other donkey playing in defence. The standards are set by a 19yo. Its nonsense.

I have never called for him to be dropped or sacked, however his place in the midfield has been disastrous for years. His contract is a bad one, but he does have a place at high half forward working into the middle.

Give the man his flowers when he plays well. But when he clearly plays poorly and costs the side by his decision making, its the consistent tone deaf defence based upon nothing except the fact he's captain and if you dare critically analyse his efforts you are enemy number one, I dont ****ing get it.
Are we here to win games of football and get better or sentiment.
The calls of "he tries hard" and "he's had a few bad knocks" are nonsense.

He's killing us in the middle. One more week and then straight to half forward.

The reality is anyone who thinks he's going okay is a certified idiot.
I think it's probably the repeated head knocks, and experiences of ongoing concussion symptoms last year in particular (which can permanently alter brain chemistry, as we've already seen), that makes most of us a little reluctant to jump on him with a pitchfork.

Go back and read the autopsy thread of the game he got concussed in last year (think it was the first Essendon game) or alternatively, this thread at the time, and everyone's lamenting how his absence affected us. I don't accept that he's been shit for years. I accept that he was shit at times last year, but also good at times last year, and has been shit for most of this year.

Ferball has already touched on his selflessness in the midfield which is more difficult to see than the out-and-out brilliance of LDU, and I agree with him.

Borderline best 23 at the moment. I don't think anyone's praising him for his output, but the above factors mean many go a bit easy on him on here. If you think it's better to go hard on him, fair enough, as he is supposed to be producing far better output as co-skipper, but a lot of it isn't his fault imo. Maybe he should be omitted. I think he and LMac should both be stripped of the captaincy and I think if either of them has the self-awareness that they should, they'll be having private conversations with the coaches about it.

That's all there is to say imo. Any knee-jerk stuff about his future at the club is misplaced, and anyone praising his output is misplaced. It's a less than ideal situation at the moment for everyone involved

I think it's probably the repeated head knocks, and experiences of ongoing concussion symptoms last year in particular (which can permanently alter brain chemistry, as we've already seen), that makes most of us a little reluctant to jump on him with a pitchfork.

Go back and read the autopsy thread of the game he got concussed in last year (think it was the first Essendon game) or alternatively, this thread at the time, and everyone's lamenting how his absence affected us. I don't accept that he's been shit for years. I accept that he was shit at times last year, but also good at times last year, and has been shit for most of this year.

Ferball has already touched on his selflessness in the midfield which is more difficult to see than the out-and-out brilliance of LDU, and I agree with him.

Borderline best 23 at the moment. I don't think anyone's praising him for his output, but the above factors mean many go a bit easy on him on here. If you think it's better to go hard on him, fair enough, as he is supposed to be producing far better output as co-skipper, but a lot of it isn't his fault imo. Maybe he should be omitted. I think he and LMac should both be stripped of the captaincy and I think if either of them has the self-awareness that they should, they'll be having private conversations with the coaches about it.

That's all there is to say imo. Any knee-jerk stuff about his future at the club is misplaced, and anyone praising his output is misplaced. It's a less than ideal situation at the moment for everyone involved
Agree with most of that.

I’d argue the head knocks he experienced last year on top of the Webster hit this year, are not the reason for his form issues but rather has closed the curtains of any future role in the midfield.

I can understand giving Jy some leeway as he’s one big hit away from retirement, however it’s a stretch to link his current form issues solely on head trauma. Theres been a longer period of not up standard football from the skipper.

I was a big fan of him when he played the inside mid extractor role, whilst gelling with LDU in the middle.
His first 2 rounds of 2023 were ace.
It was workable. Dish it out to teammates who can kick it better.

But that was a stretch and the final product we have now is sadly not a player we can carry in the middle going forward. And that is down to head knocks.

Jy would be best studying Cal Ward, Toby Greene, Dylan Moore and modelling his game on those players.

Last edited:

Based on Clarko's comments on Friday, its clear how he and the club feel about the current leaders and the fact were so open to trying to bring in a Viney or Ward or Parker says all we need to know about Jy and the other donkey playing in defence. The standards are set by a 19yo. Were taking the piss aren't we.

I have never called for him to be dropped or sacked, however his place in the midfield has been disastrous for years. His contract is a bad one, but he does have a place at high half forward working into the middle.

Give the man his flowers when he plays well. But when he clearly plays poorly and costs the side by his decision making, its the consistent tone deaf defence on here based upon nothing except the fact he's captain and if you dare critically analyse his efforts you are enemy number one. I don't ****ing get it.

Are we here to win games of football and get better or sentiment?

He's killing us in the middle. One more week and then straight to half forward next year.

Great post.

I’d rather a team of campaigners winning games of football over nice guys trying their guts out who are just shit and losing 20 games a year.

Thats just me but hey lets leave Jy as a liability in the middle just in case someones feelings are hurt.

Great post.

I’d rather a team of campaigners winning games of football over nice guys trying their guts out who are just shit and losing 20 games a year.

Thats just me but hey lets leave Jy as a liability in the middle just in case someones feelings are hurt.
We love heart and soul players and those who crack in.
But we all love winning above everything else.
Thats what were here for. The 90s team had Duck, King, Grant who are all no upstanding citizens by any means. But they were winners.

2020-2024 is going to have a long lasting impact on the mindset of supporters.
Right now we are all sitting here and praying that this pain better be worth it. If shit doesn't improve next year significantly there's going to pure venom.

Great post.

Our last two experiences with guys who have questionable character, however, did not work well for us. They set us back years.

We're trying to build the right environment. No one needs to be a saint but they need to be a decent professional who doesn't distract the group from the task at hand.

Based on Clarko's comments on Friday, its clear how he and the club feel about the current leaders and the fact were so open to trying to bring in a Viney or Ward or Parker says all we need to know about Jy and the other donkey playing in defence. The standards are set by a 19yo. Were taking the piss aren't we.

Give the man his flowers when he plays well. But when he clearly plays poorly and costs the side by his decision making, its the consistent tone deaf defence on here based upon nothing except the fact he's captain and if you dare critically analyse his efforts you are enemy number one. I don't ****ing get it.

Are we here to win games of football and get better or sentiment?

He's killing us in the middle. One more week and then straight to half forward next year.

It’s rare to see somebody with a football brain having some sense around here. 🎯 🎯🎯

Our last two experiences with guys who have questionable character, however, did not work well for us. They set us back years.

We're trying to build the right environment. No one needs to be a saint but they need to be a decent professional who doesn't distract the group from the task at hand.
I dont want to sidetrack too much but that's the risk you take. You can't be too adverse otherwise talent will fall by the wayside.

Jy is the captain of the club so recruits falls in line with the culture and standards he and his leadership group set.

For every Tarryn Thomas whose a dickhead with talent to burn, you then balance that out with a Will Phillips who is a gem of kid with some limitations in his game.

I don't believe a no dickhead policy works just as I believe certain ****wits are needed to win a flag.
See De Goey at the Pies, Oliver at the Demons, Stengle at the Cats.

What sets them apart from us is that those flags were won because blokes like Pendles and Moore and Gawn and Viney and Selwood and Dangerfield wouldn't take shit from a player who decides to go walkabout. The difference is they can back it up on the football field. Jy and Luke cannot.

Simpkin and McDonald are nice, genuinely upstanding men. Means f*** all at the end of the day.

You may argue Melbourne still couldn't manage Oliver and the same with the Pies and De Goey's issues - but flags are so bloody hard to win that if you can jag one - its bloody worth it.

I dont want to sidetrack too much but that's the risk you take. You can't be too adverse otherwise talent will fall by the wayside.

Jy is the captain of the club so recruits falls in line with the culture and standards he and his leadership group set.

For every Tarryn Thomas whose a dickhead with talent to burn, you then balance that out with a Will Phillips who is a gem of kid with some limitations in his game.

I don't believe a no dickhead policy works just as I believe certain ****wits are needed to win a flag.
See De Goey at the Pies, Oliver at the Demons, Stengle at the Cats.

What sets them apart from us is that those flags were won because blokes like Pendles and Moore and Gawn and Viney and Selwood and Dangerfield wouldn't take shit from a player who decides to go walkabout. The difference is they can back it up on the football field. Jy and Luke cannot.

Simpkin and McDonald are nice, genuinely upstanding men. Means f*** all at the end of the day.

You may argue Melbourne still couldn't manage Oliver and the same with the Pies and De Goey's issues - but flags are so bloody hard to win that if you can jag one - its bloody worth it.
It depends how big a dickhead is the dickhead? And what is the category of dickhead? Harley Bennell or someone just a little wayward?

You also need strong, respected leaders to keep said dickhead in check. We don't have these yet.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

It depends how big a dickhead is the dickhead? And what is the category of dickhead? Harley Bennell or someone just a little wayward?

You also need strong, respected leaders to keep said dickhead in check. We don't have these yet.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
And the timing of said dickhead's implosion.

If Tarryn started his saga after we won a premiership we'd all take it a bit easier.

Should be looking to have a good game this week.

Have him win the footy predominantly and dish it off. Put a block on for LDU at the stoppages.

We love heart and soul players and those who crack in.
But we all love winning above everything else.
Thats what were here for. The 90s team had Duck, King, Grant who are all no upstanding citizens by any means. But they were winners.

2020-2024 is going to have a long lasting impact on the mindset of supporters.
Right now we are all sitting here and praying that this pain better be worth it. If shit doesn't improve next year significantly there's going to pure venom.
Fast running out of time before pitchforks and guillotines. It was always going to be tough to step it up this year as we were so much younger again (although I'd argue more talented in the core group again from last year). Tick tock though.

P.S.
FWIW I do think given the age of the team and the load on some very raw young players such as Comben, Archer, Curtis, Sheezel, McKercher, Wardlaw etc we did improve. It was a lot to expect from a young / inexperienced team no matter what the talent. The stage is set IMO, they are ready. They absolutely fundamentally must get wins next year.

Last edited:
I think it’s pretty clear full time mid doesn’t work. I’m not sure HF is his best position either. Have we tried him on the wing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

But yeh justroyal

Flipping The Bird Middle Finger GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back