AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Everybody who's had general back trouble should know they need to work the core.

Resistance isolated split training with a weak core is asking for trouble

More core, less split exercises.

Not saying that's what happened with Cox and Reids problems in the beginning, because I'm sure our medical staff know their stuff.
But it's a good sign they look lean after rehab, because it tells me they've been working on core and not muscle groups.

Last edited:

Wasn't super impressed by what he produced last year but I'm hopefully with a bit of time on the side lines & coach with a clear direction for him helps.
Hopefully spends time playing interceptor & provides a decent tall target for the kick ins (in time).

He could turn into a real weapon if developed correctly.

We have 3 games before the bye and 10 games after (for the AFL team).

I would love to see him get 4 weeks at VFL level to build his game fitness up then come in after the bye for the last 10 games to finish the year.
Licking Jackie Chan GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't want him to get crunched and die, but I suppose he has to play sooner or later. If he plays back, who makes way? Laverde or Baldwin have to play to man the brutes, and BZT deserves to stay in. Bench rotation seems the go.

I just don't want him to get crunched and die, but I suppose he has to play sooner or later. If he plays back, who makes way? Laverde or Baldwin have to play to man the brutes, and BZT deserves to stay in. Bench rotation seems the go.

Hind.

Hind down back and Snelling up forward (maybe Menzie) are the spots up for grabs for guys out of the team to try and get.

Playing on a wing was so dumb.

With his height and tank he needs to either be a intercept defender who covers for attacking defenders or a centre half forward who runs all day to present options.
Yes. However I understand why he was put on the wing.
His young body would be smashed and thrown around too much in defence or attack.
Also with his attributes, we had to see what he was capable of. It would have been a bigger shame if he could've been the 200cm wing antelope, and we never tried.

I don't think he's got the play making, run and carry qualities needed as a wingman. He's too slow with the ball.

Until he puts on weight, I think the only option is a lead up forward.

Anyone salivating at the idea he might be how he looked for the first 6-7 games of his career?
I hope he plays with that sort of freedom, and takes on the kicks into the forward line that he was doing.
He had some David Myers style lasers on either foot at times.

I think he will be given a good 4-6 weeks at VFL now

But id say Hind and Heppell are the obvious replacements at the moment (Kelly also not in side though)

Ridley - Laverde - Mcgrath
N.Cox - Zerk - Redman (Hind/Massimo) is my best 7 atm

Yes. However I understand why he was put on the wing.
His young body would be smashed and thrown around too much in defence or attack.
Also with his attributes, we had to see what he was capable of. It would have been a bigger shame if he could've been the 200cm wing antelope, and we never tried.

I don't think he's got the play making, run and carry qualities needed as a wingman. He's too slow with the ball.

Until he puts on weight, I think the only option is a lead up forward.

Surely he gets hit more heavily as a lead up forward than an intercepting defender?

I think he will be given a good 4-6 weeks at VFL now

But id say Hind and Heppell are the obvious replacements at the moment (Kelly also not in side though)

Ridley - Laverde - Mcgrath
N.Cox - Zerk - Redman (Hind/Massimo) is my best 7 atm
Kelly fit is an automatic in I reckon. Hind has started to run again, which is one of the only weapons that keeps him relevant at AFL level. I thought McGrath would run more than he seems to; he should be able to break lines running but maybe isn't being encouraged to do that. I digress; bottom line is I don't see Cox replacing the attributes offered by Hind, unless Andy starts rebound runs more. Maybe Heppell is the go.

Kelly fit is an automatic in I reckon. Hind has started to run again, which is one of the only weapons that keeps him relevant at AFL level. I thought McGrath would run more than he seems to; he should be able to break lines running but maybe isn't being encouraged to do that. I digress; bottom line is I don't see Cox replacing the attributes offered by Hind, unless Andy starts rebound runs more. Maybe Heppell is the go.

You may be right with Kelly

Hes been good

The reason i didnt pick is i cant see Zerk, Lav, Kelly, Cox, Ridley, Mcgrath, Redman good enough as a whole in a few areas

Thats why i see more of a successful opening being Kelly. Or Laverde if we play Ridley as the KPD2

Mcgrath has really shown he can take Kellys role as that last line defender in the chain that can do a job on the powerful/explosive guys that have huge influence on the score

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back