AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if anything Cox takes Ridleys role as 3rd tall and Ridley gets the Run off half back role

McGrath is a better lockdown player then ball user and the more free Ridley is the more impact he can have.

That would see Kelly as D7 as he is the next best player and having him play as another lockdown defender certainly helps.

You can put him (Kelly) back pocket and have Cox/Ridley play on a tall while they rest or just as a direct swap for a Redman/McGrath type

How'd he go?
Played 3 quarters and looked really good, especially after such a long lay-off. Give him a month in the twos and get him in, as Grizz said.

Super clean with the ball, doesn’t look to have gained a heap of muscle but I feel as though that’s just his body type.

Was a good return. Took a couple of good marks. A few nice spoils including one that he looked no chance to get to but his speed and reach got him there. One thing I noticed is he handballs both hands as well which I had not picked up before today. He played back but he was not the KP defender as such. He was playing as the third tall . Baldwin and Hayes took most of the duties on the main KPF.

Going forward I think he will play a similar style game to Darcy Moore . No I am not declaring him to be Moore but his mobility and good pace for a 200 cm guy lends itself to that style of defender suiting him best .

Last edited:
Was a good return. Took a couple of good marks. A few nice spoils including one that he looked no chance to get to but his speed and reach got him there. One thing I noticed is he handballs both hands as well which I had not picked up before today. He played back but he was not the KP defender as such. He was playing as the third tall . Baldwin and Hayes took most of the duties on the main KPF.

Going forward I think he will play a similar style game to Darcy Moore . No I am not declaring him to be Moore but his mobility and good pace for a 200 cm guy lends itself to that style of defender suiting him best .
This is probably the way they're trying to develop him actually, considering how he played in the twos.

No problem with that at all

You would think one will always be injured - but can Cox, Reid, Ridley and BZT play in the same team?
Yep. Cox and Reid as KPP's, Ridley and Cox as mediums then Redman, McGrath and ??? as smalls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that you actually think we could keep all 4 on the ground at any one time. :)
I think we could for small parts of the game anyway

Sub if still in place also helps with this

Reid is really the only big lumbering slow guy there and atleast he has a kick on him, or use to.

600% / 7 defenders. Reality is only ~40% of the game max should have all 4 on the field in the same back 6 at the one time and thats not taking into account subbing one off

He will struggle with medium forwards who are good below their knees. Looked like Bambi on the wings at times when changing directions, collecting ball off the deck…. Which makes sense when you are 200cms!

Yeah, we'll see on the actual 'defending' side of things for him. Not sure exactly what type of forward he would be equipped to actually play on.

But I think Scott would be well aware that use coming out of our backline is extremely important, and limited. I believe it is one of the main reasons Langford was trialled in defense.

At the moment, it really is left to Redman, Ridley and McGrath to create all the drive, run, creativity etc.. out of defense. I suppose you could argue Hind, but I think he's simply playing out of necessity at the moment.

But in general, we have a lot of guys who play defense who you don't want doing anymore than taking the safe kick - Laverde, Heppell, Zerk, Kelly.

Letting Cox roam and do his thing - run, use the ball, his above head marking as something we don't really have. At half-back, that could really suit him.

16 disp in 3 quarters, bloody good return

Cmon unicorn, be the player
I didn't get to see the whole game, but it seemed like a good game for a defender to rack up some numbers with the volume of aimless I50s early. Was a bit ugly to watch

I'll take an injury free return though, especially getting him away from the wing!

I think we could for small parts of the game anyway

Sub if still in place also helps with this

Reid is really the only big lumbering slow guy there and atleast he has a kick on him, or use to.

600% / 7 defenders. Reality is only ~40% of the game max should have all 4 on the field in the same back 6 at the one time and thats not taking into account subbing one off

Ah you misunderstand my point. I was more referring to the fact that at least one will be injured at any given time - don't have faith in our fitness staff to keep them all on the ground at once.

Would like to see him spend another 3-4 weeks in the VFL getting the pace of the game again and focussing in on his intercept marking and distributing.

Vastly different frames but I see no real reason he couldn’t come in and play the role Hind is currently playing.

Would like to see him spend another 3-4 weeks in the VFL getting the pace of the game again and focussing in on his intercept marking and distributing.

Vastly different frames but I see no real reason he couldn’t come in and play the role Hind is currently playing.
I dont think you need to worry

I dont see how hes playing AFL for the next 3 weeks unless injury becomes stupid suddenly down back

Nik Cox

16 disposals, three marks, three tackles

Really good to see him playing. He presented well and worked in nicely with our defensive group, looked aggressive, and took some intercept marks. He looked physical in some pack contests, and he’s obviously a good ball user so it was really exciting to see a great return.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back