Can we piss off with these * is going next year and unsigned threads

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why?!

Maybe I am just a prick by nature but if I was Mackay and the club put me up for a trade when a year earlier I turned my back on a much more lucrative deal to stay and so that the club would have enough money to keep Tippett, that is precisely what I would do.

The dickhead in me would ensure I have the "I will show them" attitude where I would have a ripping season resulting in either getting a big contract and telling the club big **** you on the way out!

Supporters forget that loyalty works both ways. It is not the one way street that many want it to be. Mackay turned down a $2 million deal over 4 years from Melbourne to stay with us. He even took less so that the club would have enough money to try and keep Tippett. He took one for the club and the very next season he is put up for a trade. I would not blame him one but if he was filthy about it! I know i would be!

Steady. He hardly took one for the team as he is a RFA. He's not playing for food stamps and has massively underperformed.

Top 10 means he didn't leave that much cash on the table but he has left a lot of talent & potential on the table rotting away

And wtf has he done, really struggling to cover the ground and make the grade
2nd year .....TSR need to cut the kid some slack

They don't all develop to AFL day 1

Everyone drooled over Toupas as a prospect ......don't think we from here can think that he won't reach his potential ...i never like players 2nd years performances, more often not good

Okay firstly....

1. People saying to let him go to FA, get a comp pick and then use his money to attract other FA's obviously dont understand how the system works. If we let Mackay go but bring in Gibbs for example, then we get no compensation pick. Zilch, zero, nothing.

2. Let one of our only speedy outside midfielders go and replace him with who exactly? Rory Atkins? Yoleman as a winger? Nooooo thankyou.

3. Say we trade him, get a 2nd rounder, quite possibly be stuck with a very early 3rd rounder depending on the market. The chances of a player selected here being better than Mackay and having an impact immediately/soon is very low. Yes, we have picked Sloane and Grigg etc in this 40+ boundary before, but we cant keep relying on these picks to produce for us.

4. He is in arguably career best form and we want to throw him for some crumbs now? After all this time? Not to mention the fact that he has lifted his game and improved massively in a terrible midfield set up (so far). His running bounces are up from an average of 0.9 to 3, showing that he's getting on the outside and providing run. I50 numbers are also well up, while averaging a career high 20.3 disposals. He's cracking in and doing the hard stuff as well, despite his very slight frame, and sometimes putting some of our so called "inside" midfielders to shame with his tackling and repeat efforts. Also has the 2nd best ball retention rate in the AFL, but ill let you guys dig through the numbers....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...own-race-in-2014/story-fnia3xzy-1226902654556

What I'm mainly trying to put forward is that finally this guys ability curve has started to trend upwards rather than continue to plateau. He's the type of player that will improve further if he had a functioning midfield outfit. I think the fact that he's shown this improvement, given the way we are travelling atm is a great achievement. If our f***ing midfield lifts their game as a collective, then he's only going to get better and reap the rewards.

Imagine if we traded Douglas at the end of 2012.... Mackay is 25 coming on 26 and about to hit his prime. He's getting better week by week and has been one of our most consistent midfielders so far. It's not as if he is 30 and sitting in a similar boat to Brent Reilly, who WILL NOT improve and continues to show nothing. So what if hes on 400k or whatever it is, its not outrageous and someone with his skill set and athletic ability is very hard to come by. He rejected a trade and chose to stay here, work his arse off and prove his worth. He's done exactly that so far, but yeah lets trade him. We OHH so badly need the cap space right now......

That's a cop out, he gas been majorly disappointing

Roos is trying to develop him into a long term, gun player. Not throw him to the wolves because the fans want to see their youngsters to placate them when everything else is shit.

He will come good - would love to get him back here. Exactly what we need.

Okay firstly....

1. People saying to let him go to FA, get a comp pick and then use his money to attract other FA's obviously dont understand how the system works. If we let Mackay go but bring in Gibbs for example, then we get no compensation pick. Zilch, zero, nothing.

Oh noes!! Swap MacKay for Gibbs!

I never realised the system was so flawed

Oh noes!! Swap MacKay for Gibbs!

I never realised the system was so flawed
I believe the point is we are better off having both as plenty of deadwood to clear out at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets put it this way a guy who has never been in our top 10 B&F but has been on our list long enough to be a FA, probably doesn't have much claim to being a top 10 player
Sure, but that wasn't what I was saying in my quote.

Surely we have 10+ other players worth cutting before Mackay...

Mackay's new contract will likely see him drop out of top-10 earners at AFC.

As you all know I've been extremely critical of David Mackay, especially in the last few seasons.

Tonight he showed the quality that is hiding within. Elite disposal, especially by foot (95% DE!), with good run and carry. Contributed around the stoppages with a couple of clearances. Tackled well and applied pressure. No kicking long to the contest and no horrible clangers.

I literally thought he was incapable of such a performance given his past finals. But he stood up to be one of our best tonight. Kudos Mackay!

If Mackay can back up tonight's game next week, this thread will blow apart full of admiration for him. I will too be singing his praises. With that said, great game tonight.

North are hardly IMO a top 8 team, will not play finals in 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread #14 David Mackay - 14 possessions again

Back