Can we piss off with these * is going next year and unsigned threads

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Vader this thinking is the very problem at our club

Most good clubs would have made. Call on DMac by now as he fails consistently to have an impact on games and by doing so used his spot in the team to invest in the future and provide opportunities for a young player to develop

Coaches must create scope for young talent to develop otherwise you go nowhere

Exactly the point.

I am sure we could all name numerous other "mackays" in the history of the club.

Until the club gets a ruthless streak in its list management (see how Hawthorn did it with Mitchell and Lewis) we will continue to be a "good above average side".

It is time for us to stop embracing mediocrity (damn we even reward it nowadays).

1998 was a bloody long time ago for me!

Vader this thinking is the very problem at our club

Most good clubs would have made. Call on DMac by now as he fails consistently to have an impact on games and by doing so used his spot in the team to invest in the future and provide opportunities for a young player to develop

Coaches must create scope for young talent to develop otherwise you go nowhere
You're half-right.

The fact that a player as mediocre as Mackay can play 150+ games speaks volumes for our list management. The fact that our youngsters haven't been able to push past him says that they're just not good enough - and that's a problem, because they're supposed to be our wonderful depth.

Which young player did Mackay keep out of the side in 2016?

I have my fingers crossed that this will be the year that he's finally pushed out of the side, but in the meantime he doesn't deserve the whipping boy treatment that he has received in this thread (and many others).

At the risk of supporting Vader, Bran Nue Mackae spent more time as a defender in JLT1 than in the midfield. The interesting thing is that he was used as an inside mid rather than the outside mid role he occupied for 90%+ of his ToG last year. The good news is that we mostly used The RAT, Milera and CC "on the wings". So where does this leave BNM?

I thought he started the game well but faded. He could be used as a small defender but he would be behind Brown (if fit), Laird and Smith. Is Wigg the next in line? After playing virtually all last season as a midfielder in the SANFL he played mostly as a defender in JLT1. I also suspect that Kelly is in front of BNM and Dougie also looked good when playing in defence.

I believe that the reason the coaches seem to like BNM is that he follows instructions very well (a bit like vB). He runs to the correct spot, he is correctly positioned at stoppages and he attacks the ball hard (with his entire 65 Kg). Unfortunately he is rarely influential in a game and can make the odd clanger that drives Mackay haters crazy.

I'm not convinced that we have seem the last of BNM in the AFL.

You're half-right.

The fact that a player as mediocre as Mackay can play 150+ games speaks volumes for our list management. The fact that our youngsters haven't been able to push past him says that they're just not good enough - and that's a problem, because they're supposed to be our wonderful depth.

I have my fingers crossed that this will be the year that he's finally pushed out of the side, but in the meantime he doesn't deserve the whipping boy treatment that he has received in this thread (and many others).

Wayne Milera?

Milera was cooked by the time he was dropped, and his SANFL form after that was never even remotely close to justifying a return to AFL action.
Neither was Mackay's SANFL form, but he came back pretty quickly after being dropped

Milera was cooked by the time he was dropped, and his SANFL form after that was never even remotely close to justifying a return to AFL action.

You're right, getting games into Milera would have compromised us finishing 6th, which would have been a real burden for this year.

You're right, getting games into Milera would have compromised us finishing 6th, which would have been a real burden for this year.
There's no point in playing him once he's cooked. All that would have done is destroy his confidence and run him physically into the ground. Milera was managed really well last year, and hopefully we'll see the benefits of it this year and in years to come.

Riley Knight in the backend of the season.
That was never going to happen. Knight's season was ruined by injury, not because he was held out so they could keep selecting Mackay. Knight was never going to be selected at AFL level after returning so late in the H&A season.

That said, I think it's quite possible that Knight could be the player who forces Mackay out of the team in 2017 - and I would be 100% supportive of that move!

You're half-right.

Harrison Wigg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was never going to happen. Knight's season was ruined by injury, not because he was held out so they could keep selecting Mackay. Knight was never going to be selected at AFL level after returning so late in the H&A season.

That said, I think it's quite possible that Knight could be the player who forces Mackay out of the team in 2017 - and I would be 100% supportive of that move!

'Forces Mackay out' - therein lies the selection incongruity which frustrates many supporters.

'Forces Mackay out' - therein lies the selection incongruity which frustrates many supporters.
Mackay plays until we have 22 fit Brownlow medalists.

Mackay was on the fringe of the 22 last year, and was even dropped for one game (having spent several games in the SANFL in 2015). There just weren't any young players gunning for him last year. Milera was cooked by mid-season, Knight & Hampton were both injured, and the rest just weren't ready.

That equation changes dramatically this year. This year we have Milera, Hampton, Knight, Wigg, along with (less likely) Greenwood, Beech, Doedee, and Menzel. The first three players are all ready to go now, and there's a decent case to be made for Wigg as well.
Mackay plays until we have 22 fit Brownlow medalists.
Troll

Mackay was on the fringe of the 22 last year, and was even dropped for one game (having spent several games in the SANFL in 2015). There just weren't any young players gunning for him last year. Milera was cooked by mid-season, Knight & Hampton were both injured, and the rest just weren't ready.

That equation changes dramatically this year. This year we have Milera, Hampton, Knight, Wigg, along with (less likely) Greenwood, Beech, Doedee, and Menzel. The first three players are all ready to go now, and there's a decent case to be made for Wigg as well.

Troll
Wigg was ready your excuses are rubbish.

Wigg was ready your excuses are rubbish.
That's very much a matter of opinion. The coaches/selectors obviously disagreed.

I thought they should have debuted Wigg instead of VB, when he was brought back mid-season. They chose not to, presumably because they didn't think that he was ready. By the end of the season he wasn't being named on the emergency list.

At best there was one player they could have brought in, and even he was a marginal selection at best. This year they have 3 players ready to go, plus Wigg, plus another 4-5 who have to be getting close. Big difference - and Mackay's future is looking much shakier as a result.

Can the people claiming Mackay is on 400k tell me how they know this ? I can't see why the club would overpay him when in 2012 he offered to take a pay cut in an attempt to keep players from leaving the club.

Can the people claiming Mackay is on 400k tell me how they know this ? I can't see why the club would overpay him when in 2012 he offered to take a pay cut in an attempt to keep players from leaving the club.
It was allegedly reported on the radio, when he signed the contract, that his deal was for $1.6M. That figure has never been confirmed and is probably inaccurate - but it makes whipping him easier if they think he's overpaid. The sheeple also make the assumption that the contract isn't front/back loaded, and thus $1.6M / 4 years = $400k per year.

It was allegedly reported on the radio, when he signed the contract, that his deal was for $1.6M. That figure has never been confirmed and is probably inaccurate - but it makes whipping him easier if they think he's overpaid. The sheeple also make the assumption that the contract isn't front/back loaded, and thus $1.6M / 4 years = $400k per year.

It doesn't matter if his contract is front or back loaded. Getting paid $1.6m over four years (if true), which averages to $400k per year anyway, is clearly too much for the 22nd best player in the side (according to the coaches)

It doesn't matter if his contract is front or back loaded. Getting paid $1.6m over four years (if true), which averages to $400k per year anyway, is clearly too much for the 22nd best player in the side (according to the coaches)
I agree, that's too much for the 22nd best player. What's not clear is if the $1.6M figure is even remotely close to being accurate. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the true figure were much closer to $1M over 4 years, which would make his average salary a very reasonable $250k.

I agree, that's too much for the 22nd best player. What's not clear is if the $1.6M figure is even remotely close to being accurate. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the true figure were much closer to $1M over 4 years, which would make his average salary a very reasonable $250k.
Nope, it's higher than that.
We paid overs to debunk melbournes 4 year deal, his contract is 400k per annum

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread #14 David Mackay - 14 possessions again

Back