Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be interesting to know what criteria he bases his assessment on. Surely the most recent season's form would be a major consideration. I seem to recall that Nick made the All Australian team last year, plus came third in the Coleman medal. On that most recent form, surely that qualifies him ahead of players like Daniher, Hogan, King, Ugle-Hagan, Hawkins and Naughton.

No doubt that Tom Hawkins has been one of the games greats but coming into 2024, do past glories qualify someone ahead of most recent form?

But then again it is only Dwayne Russell's ratings.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know what criteria he bases his assessment on. Surely the most recent season's form would be a major consideration. I seem to recall that Nick made the All Australian team last year, plus came third in the Coleman medal. On that most recent form, surely that qualifies him ahead of players like Daniher, Hogan, King, Ugle-Hagan, Hawkins and Naughton.

No doubt that Tom Hawkins has been one of the games greats but coming into 2024, do past glories qualify someone ahead of most recent form?

But then again it is only Dwayne Russell's ratings.
Also being a more accurate kick than those guys too.

There's not many in the AFL nowadays that are so prolific in front of goal and rarely miss. Larkey is one of the very few.

Oh by the way Max King in the top 7 lol. The guy is so overrated

Russell's lists had a lot of caveats. The original version also had:

3. Todd Marshall (if he was more alpha)
5. John Coleman (if alive, fit and game is played in 1950)

Russell's lists had a lot of caveats. The original version also had:

3. Todd Marshall (if he was more alpha)
5. John Coleman (if alive, fit and game is played in 1950)
9. Mark Jackson (If he didn’t quit to become a recording superstar)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The output of the Kings simply does not match their perceived standing in the game.
Max king was a batter performer than Nick larkey at the same point in their careers.

At the end of 2022 season Nick had played 71 games and kicked 120 goals. At the end of last season King has played 71 games and kicked 140 goals.

Ben King is on par with Larkey. He's played 73 games for 129 goals. Might be considered slightly ahead.

Larkey's last year was outstanding tho and it won't be easy for either brother to match it this coming season.

Max king was a batter performer than Nick larkey at the same point in their careers.

At the end of 2022 season Nick had played 71 games and kicked 120 goals. At the end of last season King has played 71 games and kicked 140 goals.

Ben King is on par with Larkey. He's played 73 games for 129 goals. Might be considered slightly ahead.

Larkey's last year was outstanding tho and it won't be easy for either brother to match it this coming season.
As of right now, Larkey is a better player.

hardly surprising, the rubbish that comes out of he and Healy's mouth, no disrespect to head injury sufferers but I suspect both of them have had a few knocks to the head too many.
When I read it was compiled by Russell I left it at that. Nothing to see here.

Oh, and neither would have had too many head knocks. You don't get head knocks by hanging out.

As of right now, Larkey is a better player.
Yes, right now he is, on the back of an incredible season of footy and an even better last three games where he kicked nearly a third of his season's total goals.

It will be hard for the King's to match his season and if they do they'll be talked up alot more than he was.

Now that I think of it, the reason our game has struggled with scoring is really because set-shot kicking has become pathetic. Or, it's not being taken seriously enough at training.

Larkey being the most accurate shot by a fair margin is impressive but it also exposes how unprofessional modern-day forwards are. The set shot is what wins games, and it's the biggest weakness for a few names that are supposedly talented.

Larkey had a goal accuracy percentage of 71%. He kicked 71 goals, 24 behinds, and only kicked 5 non-scorers. With the majority of those goals coming from set-shots, those sorts of numbers in a premiership team would be phenomenal but in one of the worst teams? That's absolutely elite. He made the absolute most of his opportunities.

In the top 20, no one comes close to his goal accuracy. In fact, no one breaks 65%.

We talk about ball drop, follow-through etc. Larkey's technique allows him to kick like an old-school power forward, but he kicks as much as he needs to maintain accuracy. He lets the follow-through and release do the work not force it. It's also helped by the way he bends down to line up the ball with his leg when he does kick for goal. Brown's goal-kicking consulting definitely seemed to have an influence, but Larkey had already done most of the work. It was all about nailing the whole routine.

Forwards that are big names nowadays don't seem to be as prolific in front of goal and prefer to snap or toss the ball all over the joint when lining up because they are just so low on confidence. They lose all focus and routine. When big names from the old days offer services, they get rejected. Max King is the recent victim of bad goal-kicking that didn't get help. We consulted Brown and he was happy to oblige. It's not a bad thing to admit your forwards need some teaching!

It's becoming a problem and it's simply not good enough.

Max King pulls down contested marks for fun. He's a freak.

I'm not a big fan of forwards who can't convert at a high rate infront of goal. Max King frustrates me with his big contested marks followed up by spraying the kick.

Having said that, I would take either King brother lining up next to Larkey. Either one would make a good pairing with him.

I'm not a big fan of forwards who can't convert at a high rate infront of goal. Max King frustrates me with his big contested marks followed up by spraying the kick.

Having said that, I would take either King brother lining up next to Larkey. Either one would make a good pairing with him.
King brothers would have more impact down the ground. They’re better CHFs than Larkey but Larkey is one of the best FFs in the league.

Now that I think of it, the reason our game has struggled with scoring is really because set-shot kicking has become pathetic. Or, it's not being taken seriously enough at training.

Larkey being the most accurate shot by a fair margin is impressive but it also exposes how unprofessional modern-day forwards are. The set shot is what wins games, and it's the biggest weakness for a few names that are supposedly talented.

Larkey had a goal accuracy percentage of 71%. He kicked 71 goals, 24 behinds, and only kicked 5 non-scorers. With the majority of those goals coming from set-shots, those sorts of numbers in a premiership team would be phenomenal but in one of the worst teams? That's absolutely elite. He made the absolute most of his opportunities.

In the top 20, no one comes close to his goal accuracy. In fact, no one breaks 65%.

We talk about ball drop, follow-through etc. Larkey's technique allows him to kick like an old-school power forward, but he kicks as much as he needs to maintain accuracy. He lets the follow-through and release do the work not force it. It's also helped by the way he bends down to line up the ball with his leg when he does kick for goal. Brown's goal-kicking consulting definitely seemed to have an influence, but Larkey had already done most of the work. It was all about nailing the whole routine.

Forwards that are big names nowadays don't seem to be as prolific in front of goal and prefer to snap or toss the ball all over the joint when lining up because they are just so low on confidence. They lose all focus and routine. When big names from the old days offer services, they get rejected. Max King is the recent victim of bad goal-kicking that didn't get help. We consulted Brown and he was happy to oblige. It's not a bad thing to admit your forwards need some teaching!

It's becoming a problem and it's simply not good enough.
It probably says it all that of all the fancy traits people look for in key forwards these days, ultimately the two simple traits that got Larkey his AA blazer were his brain and his set shot technique. No brutal pack crashing. No freakish Naughton/King/Curnow aerial prowess. No awesome ground level agility. Just a bloke who knows his limitations, practices his craft and takes the opportunity when it comes. Pretty ****ing simple at the end of the day isn't it

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back