Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Taking this thread slightly off topic as this is not a direct assault on Sam Reid, but it is a lot less relevant if Player X would benefit from playing in the reserves. When we're trying to contend for finals the much greater consideration should be if the TEAM will benefit from them playing in seniors. We should be picking the 22 players that will best position us to win matches and finish top 4. Saying Player X has massive potential and should be given games because he'll be useful in the future is a dangerous path, as many players never realise their potential. My preference is always to pick someone after they've already shown they are one of the 22 best, not pick them and hope they eventually reach that standard.

I disagree its not that black and white. I think its about both, trying to find a balance and picking the opportunities to achieve the ultimate goal.
Another poster I think it was that spud Malceskifan that said that certain players were beyond 'developing' and should be already developed enough, well as senior footballers I kind of agree but developing to a certain role or position is different again.

Just a minor niggle i have with the club did we really have to give him such a massive contract? is there a reason he was signed up long term?

So he would not go back to victoria

Just a minor niggle i have with the club did we really have to give him such a massive contract? is there a reason he was signed up long term?

Worked both ways. The 5 year off from the swans was a show of faith and letting Sam know that they will give him time to develop( as is the situation now) and he won't have the distraction of contracts so he concentrate on being the best player he can be and also benefits the club because he cannot be poached in the immediate future. Also even if he does choose to leave the club after the contract, he will be around 25 year mark which will be his peak so clubs will have to pay a premium to get him or if he leaves through free agency , we should get a pretty decent pick for compensation. However it is a moot point , Sam recently bought a house In Sydney and after signing a 5 year deal it's a pretty strong indication that he enjoys being at the club and in the city

This is an interesting conversation, from a seniors point it is about putting the best 22 "combination" on the park and this is where Reid is still very key to us in-spite of his lack of confidence at this stage, his selection forces opposition teams into setting their structures to ensure he doesn't dominate, what I see from Reid is what he can do and what he still brings, while the opposition quite clearly spend time on ensuring he doesn't dominate by blocking his run and jump, double teaming ect this opens up scoring opportunities for other forwards and mids who place themselves front and center, he goes, what happens? that's the impact you need to be able to measure and ensure your alternate comes close to matching, hence it is the best "combination" of 22 players,
While it is obvious it is great to get the immediate 4 points each week history will tell you that big guys particularly forwards start realizing after about 100 games, we need to be patient, thats why my previous post states it maybe time to change his role slightly and remove some of the pressure which maybe self driven pressure.

This ... is it just my imagination, but I don't think I've ever seen Reid given a free kick for being blocked in a marking contest, yet I reckon it happens regularly in every game. If he has been given such a free kick it must've been a while ago. This is something that seems to get paid to other forwards frequently, but not Reid. I'd imagine that doesn't help his confidence much, wondering week after week if he's going to get a fair run at every marking contest.

We are not going to reach consensus, so we could argue for hours and go round the block and still not agree.

I take a little bit of on board with what your saying about giving a top notch player a run to run out the cobwebs if they have been injured or underdone early in the season, but only if there clearly in the best 22 like an O’Keefe or a Goodes last year.

I may believe an occasional rotation for a player to have a week off, like maybe Jude Bolton or Mumford to keep the body fresh from time to time too.

But what I don’t believe is that the seniors is for development, particularly in a season we are hunting cups. If that is the reason for picking someone or putting them in the team, not a fan unless the season is going to be an otherwise non event. Reid played his first game as an injury replacement for Bradshaw and did enough to say pick me pick me, Bradshaw’s time has passed him by and mine has come for season 2011. If you have an older player who’s form has dropped off and stagnated and is being matched by a kid on the rise, than you look at the kid inm a 50/50 selection issue, that’s my concession to the rule.

As for your comment about Mattner not being in our best 22, while Shaw is out I don’t totally agree, but when he is it could be a case of Mattner or Rampe? Older players get passed and when picking the best 22 should not be scared of recognising when they might have waned.

I can't see how Rampe could replace Mattner right now ... Mattner does some dumb things with the ball, but he also does some outstanding stuff ... like saving a Grand Final with a one-on-one tackle effort 90 seconds before the final siren ... Rampe has potential, and I'm no superfan of Mattner's, but surely Rampe has not shown enough yet to be considered a replacement for Mattner in any best 22.

I can't see how Rampe could replace Mattner right now ... Mattner does some dumb things with the ball, but he also does some outstanding stuff ... like saving a Grand Final with a one-on-one tackle effort 90 seconds before the final siren ... Rampe has potential, and I'm no superfan of Mattner's, but surely Rampe has not shown enough yet to be considered a replacement for Mattner in any best 22.

Won't disrupt the entirety of this thread as it is a Sam Reid thread.

In essence,I agree with your right now bit. But Marty is really stuttering into form and is a big part of why Geelong pushed past us running through heir HFF flank on Friday night. He was uncharacteristically slow to the contests in the first half, badly so and failed to stick a tackle. But as it's a moot point this week there is more time to see.

Longmire was talking up his defensive pressure yesterday. Apparently, statistically speaking, he is providing similar pressure to Parker and McGlynn. Practically, we can take that he is as dangerous defensively as the other two with a grain of salt but at least it means he is not dropping his head and is still working hard.

I think from yesterday's conference what we can take is that Reid is not going to be dropped any time soon.

He's really obviously chasing and tackling really hard. Perhaps too hard, sometimes. He'll follow the ball halfway up the wing and over the boundary, and isn't in a good position to lead+mark when it comes back the other way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barry Hall had eye surgery in the 2005 off season, from memory. It didn't really help his contested marking though as he always had an odd technique of marking the ball.

I'm not worried at all re Reid's form, as long as he takes a good defender and keeps up his defensive efforts opportunities will open up for those around him to score.

Barry Hall had eye surgery in the 2005 off season, from memory. It didn't really help his contested marking though as he always had an odd technique of marking the ball.

I'm not worried at all re Reid's form, as long as he takes a good defender and keeps up his defensive efforts opportunities will open up for those around him to score.
Who are those around him you are referring to ? The heavy reliance on the midfield to kick the bulk of the score every week is bound to eventually take its toll. Opposition clubs all put a great deal of their weekly planning into curbing opposition midfields and with Swans mids being the prime avenue to goal so far this year the scrunity is going to increase significantly going forward. Unless a Key forward be it Reid or Goodes start impacting the scoreboard to some extent in the coming weeks there could be some rough weather ahead. Of course the problem could also be solved if Morton was persisted with & given a couple of weeks to find a bit of form instead of wearing the most insignificant element of a three piece suit:mad: and do what he does best.Kick goals.

Who are those around him you are referring to ? The heavy reliance on the midfield to kick the bulk of the score every week is bound to eventually take its toll. Opposition clubs all put a great deal of their weekly planning into curbing opposition midfields and with Swans mids being the prime avenue to goal so far this year the scrunity is going to increase significantly going forward. Unless a Key forward be it Reid or Goodes start impacting the scoreboard to some extent in the coming weeks there could be some rough weather ahead. Of course the problem could also be solved if Morton was persisted with & given a couple of weeks to find a bit of form instead of wearing the most insignificant element of a three piece suit:mad: and do what he does best.Kick goals.

I know, but I am backing the work rate of our midfield to keep pushing forward and kicking goals. The midfield will always be under scrutiny, but you still have to focus on your own game and beating your opponent, one contest at a time. Goodes, Pyke and Mumford have all had stints in the forward line at various stages so far this year too. Our game is built around not letting your teammates down. As long as we stick to that, we will be fine.

Yup, used his body and strength more, and getting 2nd and 3rd defenders is a good preview as to how he will go with Tippett in the side.

He had a good game and an excellent first quarter but he dropped a couple late in the game that he would have gobbled up in the first. I can't figure it. Tired maybe.

I think his marking problem is simply down to the areas and types of marks he's going for now.

Early in his career he had the luxury of getting a decent run at the flight of the ball in dangerous areas. These days he's forced to go for more marks on the lead at full tilt. In these situations it's much harder to judge the flight of the ball and mark it.

He'll get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back