Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Even if Sam Reid were 100% fit we weren't beating Geelong on the day anyway, they were far too good for us all over the park.

Whole face of the Prelim changed against Collingwood when he hurt his hammy as well. People underestimate how he was a major reason we even made that GF with some of the footy he played that year and the 2 games afore mentioned. Deserves recognition for his contributions over a long journey and the constant injury hurdles he faced with also being maligned for underachieving with the amazing athletic footy ability he had.(Me Included)
What he didn’t deserve was to be derided by plenty on here for he and the club declaring him to be fit for the GF. I trust the club enough and the Integrity and commitment of Sam Reid to genuinely believe he was good to go and get out there and play in a game he had earned the right to play in. It didn’t work out. Shit happens but Sam Reid can walk away with that in the rear view mirror and should not have one regret. Well played Sam.
I'd argue the whole course of our season changed, not just that Prelim. We fell over the line as our structures fell apart in the Pies game without him, and then no one needs repeating about the mess of the grand final. In hindsight, we probably still wouldn't have got close to the Cats even with a fully fit Sam in the team - but I reckon we would have made a lot more of a contest of it.

Even if Sam Reid were 100% fit we weren't beating Geelong on the day anyway, they were far too good for us all over the park.

Yep midfield was smashed pillar to post that day was men vs boys in there. Could have had 5 Buddy Franklins up forward and we still would have been trounced

A solid career but I am not sure I can forgive him for saying he was fit for the 2022 Grand Final. It was selfish on his part.

I blame the coaching staff more. Every player is going to say they are “fine” for a grand final.

Whole face of the Prelim changed against Collingwood when he hurt his hammy as well. People underestimate how he was a major reason we even made that GF with some of the footy he played that year and the 2 games afore mentioned. Deserves recognition for his contributions over a long journey and the constant injury hurdles he faced with also being maligned for underachieving with the amazing athletic footy ability he had.(Me Included)
What he didn’t deserve was to be derided by plenty on here for he and the club declaring him to be fit for the GF. I trust the club enough and the Integrity and commitment of Sam Reid to genuinely believe he was good to go and get out there and play in a game he had earned the right to play in. It didn’t work out. Shit happens but Sam Reid can walk away with that in the rear view mirror and should not have one regret. Well played Sam.
Great post Wolf and totally agree.

GUH will be smiling....

I blame the coaching staff more. Every player is going to say they are “fine” for a grand final.

They won't. Leon Davis said he was not fit to play in a Collingwood Grand Final and there have been other examples of players admitting they were not fit to play. It takes a lot of character to do so, but there are examples.

They won't. Leon Davis said he was not fit to play in a Collingwood Grand Final and there have been other examples of players admitting they were not fit to play. It takes a lot of character to do so, but there are examples.

Sure but they are ultra rare the coaching staff should have known more

It very well could have come down to a discussion basically saying what do we have to lose? The coaching staff would have known we were up against it and were perhaps hoping for a miracle.

This is what GUH would have said about the issue, him saying this a few weeks ago

I would like the Club to adopt a set of golden rules re selecting injured players.

Horse should have input but no more than any other club figure.

I honestly believe selecting lame players is his ‘Achilles Heel “. He is completely untrustworthy on the subject and should have no say on selection of injured players in Match Committee.

Fwiw I believe he stupidly believed the lies of others on the Reid selection issue and was let down.

Watching the warm up you could see he was not right. The group I was with spoke t about it. 100% the staff out on the field during that time should have called it.

Regardless of all that, his legacy does not deserve to be that game. He was a major figure in 2012, and 2022 until the injury, remember some of his defensive work late in games, recall a game v Freo at the SCG Where he saved the game with his defensive marking. Was a very good player, a 1 club player and gave us plenty of good times. Body was his obstacle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well played Sam.

Everyone keep your eyes on your fries. Sam Reid is at large full time now.

He'll always have the 2012 GF and that goal.

Even if Reid hadn't deemed himself fit, the result wouldn't have changed. Reid was integral to our team performance and was irreplaceable in 2022.

A fit Reid and fit JPK in the 2022 GF and things may have been different, but hypothetical realities are pointless.

Well done on the flag Sammy, you achieved as much as your body would allow you to.

Was fantastic to watch and an important player when healthy.

The goal he banged home from 50 in the 2012 after some amazing ball movement from HB was one of the great grand final goals

Sad that his career was so disrupted. None better at clunking a mark up the line to get us out of trouble exiting the defence.

How good was that kick by Malceski by the way. Natural instinct would be to look for a player running out wide to the wing I imagine, but it was great vision to find and drill a risky kick like that up the middle to a teammate.

Was fantastic to watch and an important player when healthy.

The goal he banged home from 50 in the 2012 after some amazing ball movement from HB was one of the great grand final goals

Sad that his career was so disrupted. None better at clunking a mark up the line to get us out of trouble exiting the defence.

that was such a fantastic goal ... but watching it again now, you see what might have been for the swans ...
that move was started by alex johnson and finished by sam reid, two players who were cruelly robbed of what their careers could have been
it's certainly no surprise to hear the reid news, but just another reminder of what he's endured

Those memories from the 2012 GF will live on... watching it as a teen kicking that epic goal on the run from 50 will forever remain in our minds. I thought his career would take off from there but alas with the injuries, not to be.

Thanks for the memories Sam Reid.

I assume they will save some TPP? If a player retires in season? I mean a one year rookie deal won’t be bags of cash, but some….
I was on the understanding that The only relief was when they retired from concussion. All other injuries are not counted. Could be wrong though.

Well done Sam. A premiership player (there is only one left!) a career that seemingly fluctuated between good and bad years injury wise. When two bad years in a row happened we all knew he wasn’t coming back no matter the injury situation. But someone who kicked that amazing goal in the GF and with greater than 100 games under his belt and an expanded gene pool with a super tall wife, sure to provide injury free father/sons/daughters in 15 years time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back