Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Unfortunate but unsurprising way Sam ends his football career.

I have always been a fan of Reid. Never the superstar but always had a willingness to compete and do the team things. Had a massive 2022 and it’s just a shame he wasn’t able to play at that level for the past couple of years

All the best!

Always been a fan , if he and Ben had good bodies they would've played over 250 , but both have a premiership medal .
Also a really great family of good people.
Hopefully Horse gets him to Corowa
And i think Cressa will be the coach of Corowa next year , get the bloods

Underated player was thrown around everywhere at times and was the whipping boy for it amongst supporters. Great grab and his peak was 2022 when his rucking went to another level. Goal kicking drove me nuts at times but a game or two a season he would kick everything and look like the KPF he was originally recruited as.
Sad way to go out but his body hasn't been kind to him over the last few years.

Didnt Roosy coach his debut? 😂 wiped him.

If i went back in this thread I have always marked him hard, mostly because when Injured he always got better and better......not going there but only to say, gee watching his retirement speech to the boys, and Horse talk about him, that hits you, bit teary.

Love that stuff from the club, he spoke well

Premiership hero at 20 and kicked an absolutely iconic goal in the 2012 GF.

Injuries never truly allowed him to reach his peak.

With that, the last player to play an AFL game alongside Brett Kirk has retired. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emotional stuff

Imo he was in the plans to play no doubt at some point.

Horse backing him last year also suggests that

What a shame

He would have contributed
would have given more than Amartey , i watched him 2 weeks ago at Moorabbin and he made great contests , he was going to play

Shame we couldn't see him put on the boots one last time for the Bloods. Iconic memory of him is how many times when we were under the pump and he'd be a swing man back and saved many scores on the line or marks both uncontested and contested in out D50 to support the team. You will be missed Reidy!

Last edited:
I've always been a Reidy fan.

When The King! kept yelling "off with his head!!" I sometimes felt I was the lone voice in the hoards who yelled back "Sure, he's not the Messiah... He's a very naughty boy (for getting injured again)"... But his team first mentality, strength in a contested mark, ability to play pretty much anywhere & importance to our structure/shape & flexibility is (& was) so often underrated IMO...

I always was happy to give Sam a 2nd, 3rd or 4th chance... A great & somewhat unique talent that never managed to get as much from his body as we all would have liked.

None-the-less, a key cog in the team over a sustained run of success & a medal to show for it.

A champion of the club that I hope sticks around a bit (I'm lead to believe he's quite good one on one with the boys & a strong mentor & leader).

Thanks for all the hard work over a very long successful career Reidy!!

Congrats on a really solid career Reidy. From that video, it seems like you really led by example. Even though you didn’t get in the field in the last couple of years, you have left big shoes to fill.

Tough to watch without tearing up.

Sam was a truly selfless player who cared more for his club than his own interests. He pushed himself into every contest on field, throwing his long arms and legs into every contest. He was a tackling beast, a strong contested mark, a decent kick for goal, a solid ruck, a defender. Reid was anything the club needed him to be. He never shied at crashing big pack and no wonder he copped his share of injuries, but even off-field he put as much work into improving others as himself.

Two highlights of his 2022 season come to mind

Rd 12 2022 vs Demons - Reid announced himself back in form, kicking the first goal to claw back a 5 goal lead before he and McDonald led the forward line against an almost "invincible" Demons. Reid finished with five marks (four contested, two inside 50), 10 tackles (five inside 50) and three goals.

Rd 17 2022 vs Bulldogs - Reid was forced to step in as full time ruck. Despite giving away 11kg and 12cm, he schooled Tim English, not only making a contest but with his follow up work around the ground he ran English ragged, providing an extra midfielder and making one of the in-form rucks of the competition look ordinary.

Reid's 2022 was a big reason why reached a GF so early in our team's development. Only when Reid went down were the Pies were able to get back into the PF and then, sadly, with Sam injured (or without him) we were no chance in the GF.

Some held it against Reid for playing injured, but we were already huge underdogs against the Cats, who remain the most experienced finals team ever assembled. With Reid fit we might have had a slim chance, but without him we had no chance.

Enjoy your retirement Sam. Let's win it for you

A few things from this video struck me...

A) I seem to have something stuck in my eye again
B) Haven't heard Sam interviewed much over the years but he seems like he would have been an amazing media performer for us. Really well spoken and genuine. Seems like a great guy.
C) Horse really does care about his players more than any other coach I've seen in 40 years of following footy. We're incredibly lucky to have such a good human at the helm of our club and it will be a sad day when he steps aside.

A few things from this video struck me...

A) I seem to have something stuck in my eye again
B) Haven't heard Sam interviewed much over the years but he seems like he would have been an amazing media performer for us. Really well spoken and genuine. Seems like a great guy.
C) Horse really does care about his players more than any other coach I've seen in 40 years of following footy. We're incredibly lucky to have such a good human at the helm of our club and it will be a sad day when he steps aside.
Yep agree with all your points. It struck me how Horse seemed very choked up by the whole occasion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back