Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

I have perhaps the most unique memory of Reid's debut that I have of any of our players. Was watching our game against the Lions in 2010 in the Walkabout Pub in Shepherd's Bush thinking boy did we have a player, the way he clunked marks and moved around the ground. Shattered that he's come out the other end finishing up the way he has. Never really fulfilled the potential that seemed to be there on day one, but he's had a brilliant career all the same.

Thanks for posting this Sean.
And I agree with the comments by the posters above.

Rehab is a lonely place. And Alex Johnson before him.

We can be proud of our club, and the people in it.
The magnificence of our footy club summed up in a video right there. While we all strive for perfection on the park and Premierships, I am so proud of our club and the way that most (not all - nothing is perfect) walk out of the club as better people and grow as people while they are at the club. Every part of the club deserves credit for that - but an enormous amount of that credit has to go to Horse as well.

That six goal game against Collingwood is burnt into my brain. He was clunking and kicking everything that night. Shame we lost a close one.

Gee whiz, when he was on he was really hard to stop.

EDIT - he will be doing a lap of honour at half time of the Umpdogs game. I will definitely be standing up and giving him a big round of applause

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back