Toast 20 Years Ago Today...

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't forget Andrew Williams.

Andrew Donnelly
Phil Read (saw a few nice plays from him in that highlights video)
Paul Symmons
Daniel Metropolis
etc

It's the forgotten generation between our 2nd and 3rd flags.

Was at the game standing on the grassy hill behind the goals at the city end. An obnoxious bulldogs supporter was very lippy in the first quarter and every goal they kicked after their 3rd he would yell out “Too easy doggies, too easy!!” There’s not much us Eagles supporters could do or say in reply and for sure I thought someone on the hill was going to react to his provocations.

Then the 2nd quarter began and our 1st goal got Bronx cheers. Then once we got our 6th goal and had all the momentum every single eagles goal for the rest of the game was met with dozens of us fans yelling in this campaigners direction “Too easy Eagles, TOO EASY!!”

Suffer in yer jocks.

Was there too, was almost ready to crack the shits and walk out at quarter time, glad I didn't
Was also there at that game - was a real weird game as thought for all money we were gone at quarter time as thought it would be a long way back from there! Just goes to prove "it's not over until the fat lady sings".

I remember watching that game! I was shellshocked at the end of the first quarter, I couldnt believe what had happened and how much the Bulldogs were smashing us. Then we came back and owned the game from then on. Amazing! Its one of my favourite Eagles memories after the Premierships.

Totally agree with you Forward Press there was a generation of players which missed out on the success that so many of their teammates had experienced. Symmons was a good player who was stranded on 99 games (!) and Morrison played a blinder in that particular game. Donnelly, Read, Metropolis and Morrison were all good players who never really tasted success. It was a shame that post 94' we spent 5 years skirting on the edge of another GF appearance but never quite making it. Vic bias for sure :p

People forget how good Fraser Gehrig was.
He was treated so badly by a lot of our so called supporters.

Had he stayed we would have won another :trophy:.
Would have been the dangerous KPF that we were missing in the 04-07 years.

The Guy was a Beast so big and so quick.
View attachment 504545 View attachment 504546

TBH add Fraser to 05 and we definitely win the match. Could also be argued we would have had a very good shot in 07 as well as we likely would have finished at worst second with him in the side and had home finals, maybe not the same injuries etc. All speculative but having Gehrig at FF with our midfield riches would have just been obscene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Bruce commentating just before half time when Chris Grant misses a set shot and goes with you just get the feeling Carey would've kicked that. People forget Carey was Bruce's original BFF before Cyril came along

Delete Kerr, do we even get there?

Yes we do I have no doubt about it.
Kerr was a star no doubt but one less mid and a genuine KPF would have been a more balanced side.

Cousins, Judd , Braun , Stenglien, Chick,Fletcher , Embley , R Jones is still a very good bunch of midfielders.

The G Train was a couple of grades quality wise above both Lynch and Hansen.

Ironically if Lynch had played instead of Gardiner in 05 and Braun not been injured we would have won.

I remember Bruce commentating just before half time when Chris Grant misses a set shot and goes with you just get the feeling Carey would've kicked that. People forget Carey was Bruce's original BFF before Cyril came along
Given the amount of "Carey, special" we had to endure on Friday night broadcasts after Better Homes and Gardens I doubt too many forget.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 20 Years Ago Today...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back