2009 - No More Excuses

Remove this Banner Ad

So far since the end of the 08 season we have all read about how the club, see TW and GM, have expectations of playing finals this year. We have also read quotes from TW himself that if Richmond fails to make the finals this year he doesn't expect to be coaching after this year. Well if that is the case then I am starting this No More ****ing Excuses thread (obviously I can't put that as the title)

It is time some players were put to the test and we stopped using the excuse that they need more time and a demand that they start producing results. There is already a thread about Cleve and I have read posts in there saying that people would be happy if he can deliver 25 goals from 15 games. Thats crap. McKinley from the Eagles kicked over 40 goals last year in his second year of senior footy and he played for a side that finished second last with 3 wins. Anthony from the Pies kicked 25 goals from 12 games in his debut season and yet we have people on here asking for Cleve to provide us that in his 3rd season. Give me a break. Cleve is the first of many who needs to show us something if we are actually going to move from the ranks of the pretenders to those who are contenders.

Feel free to add other names to the list of players who have to step up and stop hiding behind excuses. It is time we demanded results from Wallace and co instead of providing excuses for their failures.

just my honest opinion i think richmond are in the box seat to be the next powerhouse in the afl, finals i think are a sure thing next year.. you have the well balanced side that is needed to win premiships and yet there is still more improvement to come.. you then have the older heads that are still in very good form i.e richo 08'. your midfield i really rate with foley tuck johnson, delideo as well as the gun cotchin!! and in my opinion have the best rebounding defender in the game in newman. not trying to suck up but i do really rate richmond's team and wish you all the best for next year:thumbsu:

polo really needs to stand up and play top notch footy(no more ****ing excuses). he needs to play atleast 20 games this year and get 30 plus touches in atleast 3 games, if he does this wew will have found ourself a good midfielder that many thought would be delisted

just my honest opinion i think richmond are in the box seat to be the next powerhouse in the afl, finals i think are a sure thing next year.. you have the well balanced side that is needed to win premiships and yet there is still more improvement to come.. you then have the older heads that are still in very good form i.e richo 08'. your midfield i really rate with foley tuck johnson, delideo as well as the gun cotchin!! and in my opinion have the best rebounding defender in the game in newman. not trying to suck up but i do really rate richmond's team and wish you all the best for next year:thumbsu:

How can we ever read another view from a different club's supporter without thinking 'SasseGum' ?

Whahahahahahaha...

Agreed there is no room for excuses this year. We have a backline that can keep opposition forwards honest. We have a mid field which is strong and attacking but can play defensive. We have the making of a forward line that on paper can kick winning scores and we have players who have an x factor to do the amazing when we need it. We also finally have some depth so that players need to perform to keep their spots and injuries are no longer the death knell of the Tigers.

Its on the line 2009

Lets ROAR

Khan

It is time some players were put to the test and we stopped using the excuse that they need more time and a demand that they start producing results. There is already a thread about Cleve and I have read posts in there saying that people would be happy if he can deliver 25 goals from 15 games. Thats crap. McKinley from the Eagles kicked over 40 goals last year in his second year of senior footy and he played for a side that finished second last with 3 wins. Anthony from the Pies kicked 25 goals from 12 games in his debut season and yet we have people on here asking for Cleve to provide us that in his 3rd season. Give me a break. Cleve is the first of many who needs to show us something if we are actually going to move from the ranks of the pretenders to those who are contenders.

:)Spot on. It's no wonder we have struggled for as long as we have, setting such lofty ..... not ..... standards.
To put it in perspective, if Cleve were to conjure up another six goal performance as he did against Port this year, we would be expecting a further 19 goals from him in 14 games.
Friends, that simply ain't going to get the job done for us and winning scores will be hard to come by. Your supposed key forward (I am assuming Hughes is slated for full forward) needs more than 25 goals a season.
Think Buddy, think Mooney, think Riewoldt, think Brad Johnson or Welsh, think Hall.
Cleve needs to step up big time and 45 to 50 goals needs to be his minimum goal!

:)Spot on. It's no wonder we have struggled for as long as we have, setting such lofty ..... not ..... standards.
To put it in perspective, if Cleve were to conjure up another six goal performance as he did against Port this year, we would be expecting a further 19 goals from him in 14 games.
Friends, that simply ain't going to get the job done for us and winning scores will be hard to come by. Your supposed key forward (I am assuming Hughes is slated for full forward) needs more than 25 goals a season.
Think Buddy, think Mooney, think Riewoldt, think Brad Johnson or Welsh, think Hall.
Cleve needs to step up big time and 45 to 50 goals needs to be his minimum goal!
so we think he will kick 50-60 goals. for me i just dont want my expectations to high then just to see him fail.

I'll give some latitude to those drafted in the past year or two.

3rd year players can be patchy, but need to show what they can do semi-regularly.

4th year and up should be considered 'regulars'.

Exception for ruckmen they tend to come on in years 5/6, so consider them a year 'back'.

To name one...Tambling. He needs to rate a game on his own merits, with what he shows week in, week out. He gets no leeway for 'potential' and 'development' any more. If he's not clearly in the best-22, drop him.

A comment on Cleve...don't set the goal expectations too high...our game-plan is to share it around a lot and have a lot of targets, so 30-40 for a year will be a good effort.

So far since the end of the 08 season we have all read about how the club, see TW and GM, have expectations of playing finals this year. We have also read quotes from TW himself that if Richmond fails to make the finals this year he doesn't expect to be coaching after this year. Well if that is the case then I am starting this No More ****ing Excuses thread (obviously I can't put that as the title)

Feel free to add other names to the list of players who have to step up and stop hiding behind excuses. It is time we demanded results from Wallace and co instead of providing excuses for their failures.

Exactly right:thumbsu: Like has been said in the other thread I think anywhere between 40-50 goals should be his goal and playing if not all, than most of the games next year.

Another one is Jackson, he's been is the system for 4 years? Needs to stand up and cement his spot in the side next year (Like White did this year.) He and Polo will be competing for the tagging role and atm i think Jackson has got the upper hand. Played the last 8 games or so and showed something. I have no doubt Polo will turn into a good player but Jackson has the chance to make the tagging role his own in 09.

so we think he will kick 50-60 goals. for me i just dont want my expectations to high then just to see him fail.

what a ridiculous post. So you dont want to see him fail, and in saying that you dont set high standrads, so he doesnt fail? Maybe you should be a high jump coach, and coach a team to success, by setting the bar at 6 inches and never failing. ;)

I think we have a nice mix of Mods and their opinions at the moment.
:thumbsu:

Too right delib, RT was a great choice for mod.

As for our beloved club I'm optimistic that the playing group can build on this years result with the likes of Rance, Putt and Vickery adding some height, and the prospect of Cogs and Hislop furthering our midfiled depth. And let's not forget Cotchin having a full pre-season too.

And if everyone else steps up we can be genuine finals contenders, .. in fact I'll stick my neck out and say top 4. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleve should be aiming for 35+ goals and 15+ games. Anything more is a bonus for a young developing forward like himself. To expect him to play every game and kick 50+ goals is a bit demanding. We should be expecting this in 2010 honestly

what a ridiculous post. So you dont want to see him fail, and in saying that you dont set high standrads, so he doesnt fail? Maybe you should be a high jump coach, and coach a team to success, by setting the bar at 6 inches and never failing. ;)

Which would be no better than putting it at 20 feet and them never succeeding. The point being targets need to be realistic.

How can we ever read another view from a different club's supporter without thinking 'SasseGum' ?

Whahahahahahaha...

My exact thoughts.

Khan/Peejay will have to do this for all opposition posters, unless they give us the name of the Sassegum's alias :cool:

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it again. A lot of posters on here are really starting to get some big expectations for us in '09, IMO, its just going to set yourselves up for disappointment. This board will be a war zone at stages in '09 and it will all be because some posters on here had too high expectations.

We should be playing finals in '09, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were only one match.

Cleve along with every other player should be judged on his contribution to the team.
We are developing a more dynamic forward line that doesn't rely on a single spearhead. Jack, Morton, Brown, Richo, edwards will all spend time up forward... even expect Bowden there as well. If we are winning and he is puling his weight that should be enough.
So to single out 1 player and put a figure on a pass and fail is unfair until we see the structure that we play will with.

The only excuse that I feel is except-able is injuries.... but our depth is the best I've seen it so it's impact wont have the same result as in 2007.

Experience is another.... but I feel we have enough players now above 50 games to cancel that excuse.

My exact thoughts.

Khan/Peejay will have to do this for all opposition posters, unless they give us the name of the Sassegum's alias :cool:

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it again. A lot of posters on here are really starting to get some big expectations for us in '09, IMO, its just going to set yourselves up for disappointment. This board will be a war zone at stages in '09 and it will all be because some posters on here had too high expectations.

We should be playing finals in '09, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were only one match.

I'm with you Sante,

I think with a few teams on a gradual decline and the natural developement of our young list were in the mix for a 6-8th finnish.

If things go well, cogs is up and running, our new additions start to fire and we dont suffer from injuries then we might be a shot at finnishing higher.

Def need the steamer to fire up forward though, big year for him or "shut the door on your way out pl cleve"!

our expectations for next season should be nothing less that a top four finish.

given our very favourable draw and improved list if we just scrape onto the eight i would see this as going backwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 - No More Excuses

Remove this Banner Ad

Back