2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Puts the pressure on Sibo, Shepheard and Pearce to really perform. Good to see. I really like all three of them and would be stoked to see them dominate at WAFL level, which I think is very likely.

Lets hope they can all stay injury free and give it a red hot crack. Next year might be their last chance for a senior list berth considering the squeeze for spots.

It'd be a real shame to see Sibo or Pearce get overtaken by a first year rookie next year but the truth is it very well may happen, I hold concerns for Pearce in particular if he doesn't have a breakout year next season.

Doesn't seem to be much discussion on here about Darling eventhough it sounds like he will last to Freo's pick. What is the general consensus?

I'd love him to last till WC pick however I doubt he will make it past the preceding 25.

*double post from thread on "Player Watch" board*

The finalised list (some of the contract lengths might be questionable - particularly some of the ones like Fyfe and Morabito who may have been given 3 years right at the start instead of the regular 2 year draftee contracts):

Johnson
Clarke
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Mayne
Bradley
Hayden
Hinkley
Grover (vet - outside the list)

Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
McPhee
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo
McPharlin
Walters
Faulks
Mzungu
Griffin
Pitt
Michie
Mellington

Sandilands
Hill
Broughton
Anthony

Pavlich
Mundy

Rookies
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Roberts
Lower
Bucovaz
Ruffles

Sheez, looking at that list you'd reckon we're going to have some serious salary cap issues next year.

Even with the possible retirements of Rog and Groves, and the likely delisting of Schammer, there's not much wriggle room.

Players whose managers are going to field a lot of phone calls (especially from GWS) are likely to include Johnson, Clarke, Duffield, Palmer, Houghton, Bollenhagen and Chopper.

Crowls and Bradley may attract interest but their loss can be readily covered.

Hinkley is a possible delisting so no great loss there.

Confident that the club will fight tooth and nail to retain Fyfe and Morabito
(who I think already has had a contract extension plus is adamant about staying in WA) but really nothing can be taken for granted until they sign the bottom line.

I'm not too worried about the younger guys who are coming out of contract. Sure, they only have a limited time to make money - which their managers will no doubt be telling them - but they also only have a limited time to have some success. If they're getting opportunities, enjoying themselves and the team is playing well, then I'd expect them to stick around.

Duffield is the only senior player I'd miss from that list as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this up to date now? Any assistance with adjustments appreciated.

Johnson
Schammer
Crowley
Palmer
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Bradley
Hayden
Hinkley
Grover (vet - outside the list)

Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
McPhee
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo
McPharlin
Walters
Faulks
Mzungu
Griffin
Pitt
Michie
Mellington
Morabito
Fyfe

Sandilands
Hill
Broughton
Anthony
Clarke
Mayne

Pavlich
Mundy
Duffield

Rookies
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Roberts
Lower
Bucovaz
Ruffles

Just watching the first half of the Eagles game, man I wish we went Darling with pick 20. No doubt Pitt looks like an excellent prospect but Darling could have had an immediate impact in our forward line, especially when we lack quality key forwards. I suppose his off field stuff is still to be tested.

I agree somewhat in principle, but Pitt's ahead of where we should expect.

Darling was expect to play round 1 2011 two years ago.

A name for all those upset about missing Darling to consider before next draft; Shane Kersten - South Fremantle. Played well in the seniors last year but is undersized at 190cm which might keep him to around our pick if we can trade down a bit. A really good kick and a 20m running time of sub 2.88sec, but I understand that GWS could have taken him and didn't.

Kersten is an interesting one. Performed much better than Darling in the U18s last year in my opinion, playing as more of a genuine full forward. If he can perform like that again (with his athleticism) he should go pretty early regardless of height.

Bit surprised GWS didn't take him. Should have an early impact like Darling, and at the very least would have been good trade bait for one of the WA teams.

I suppose his off field stuff is still to be tested.

He's not off to a great start being suspended once already during his first preseason.

In this day and age of ridiculous off-field media scrutiny I'm happy we're placing such a high emphasis on character.

He's not off to a great start being suspended once already during his first preseason.

In this day and age of ridiculous off-field media scrutiny I'm happy we're placing such a high emphasis on character.

He was 1 minute late to training, your telling me you have never been 1 minute late to work? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back