2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure there's only 5 rounds in the ND so we need to find some more draft picks from somewhere OR the cull may not be as deep as we think or want it to be.

Or we go with a smaller squad which doesn't thrill me a lot.

The other possibility is that we'll be more active in the PSD - Harvs did say today that our initial focus will be for a player (instead of picks) because we have been so active in the drafts the last two years.

He also stated that some of the later picks will be +100 which kind of confirms my suspicion that adding to the rookie list will not be a priority. Or if we do, it will not be 18 year olds but mature bodies (though I hold little hope of there being much quality on offer).

There may be some silver lining though. Given the turmoil that Essendon have been in, we may yet be able to go to that well one last time.

Hell knows, they've been nice to us of late:D:thumbsu:

I thought the draft goes as long as there are clubs with selections left. 2008 some clubs had picks in the 7th round from memory.

I thought the draft goes as long as there are clubs with selections left. 2008 some clubs had picks in the 7th round from memory.

That's right. Even last season their were 7th and 8th rounds.

BTW, nice list chinggis77, even though a number of those are pure rumour. Also, Mckinley has stated he wants to go to Victoria so that should be noted if you want to make it a bit more accurate.

Our main priority heading into trade week should be getting some insurance in our ruck stocks in case Sandi goes down like he did in the crucial stages of this season.

Mitch Clarke? He's name has been thrown around as possible trade bait and with Brisbane in salary cap strife it could be an opportune time for us to hit while the iron is hot and make a play for the WA boy.

Also with Taz leaving we should reassure our key defensive post, trying not to give away too much.

Alex Rance? Obvious potential and with another pre season behind him could be a handy pick up down back with McPharlin and Grover. He might struggle behind Astbury, McGuane, Moore, Thursfeild and young Grimes at Richmond. Perhaps we could offer up Ryan Murphy instead of delisting him. A Victorian born boy with a big body that could sit in front of Jack Riewoldt and provide some much needed goal kicking spread at Richmond.

Alex Rance? Obvious potential and with another pre season behind him could be a handy pick up down back with McPharlin and Grover. He might struggle behind Astbury, McGuane, Moore, Thursfeild and young Grimes at Richmond. Perhaps we could offer up Ryan Murphy instead of delisting him. A Victorian born boy with a big body that could sit in front of Jack Riewoldt and provide some much needed goal kicking spread at Richmond.

Slow, bad kick, makes bad decisions. Think Spangher!

What is everyones thoughts on youngster Chris Hall's chances of being resigned for another season??

Ive heard he has struggled with injury and personal problems since moving to freo. Very good player IMO and is probably a player who needed time to develop.

What is everyones thoughts on youngster Chris Hall's chances of being resigned for another season??

Ive heard he has struggled with injury and personal problems since moving to freo. Very good player IMO and is probably a player who needed time to develop.

We'll probably have a better idea once he hits puberty. He looks about 7 years old so I'd say he's a fair way off...He should get another deal though.

In all seriousness he's got some talent. As you say though he's just had injury problems - not very helpful when you need to work on strength/conditioning more than anything else.

He's my buddy, and I have been keeping a close eye on his performances for Easts over the year.

He was always going to need at least 3 years to beef up. From the few games that I watched he seemed like he was about to break the shakkles, then never did. I don't know what it is but I think if he can stay injury free he might surprise a few!

Better he is on our list than BOB...

Not sure if we are in the market for another young ruckman. A few prospects listed here (see below) for the draft.

One that is interesting is Luke Adams. Listed as 198cm and 90kg. He made his debut for Swans late in the year (League) and was fantastic. A year older than the others. Got 15 touches and 39 hitouts in his first game. Seems to have grown about 5cm from last year when he was in the U18's. Only got to play 2 games in seniors for Swannies before injury struck in the Semi Final.

May be a bit short.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102696/default.aspx

Hows our young gun in NSW going - the development programme/scholarship kid with the dreddies. He's obviously a long way off, but he would be 16 or close to 17 now wouldn't he? I think he dominated at an under age carnival earlier this year. How does that process work? Do we have automatic dibs on him once he is eligible for the draft?

Not sure if we are in the market for another young ruckman. A few prospects listed here (see below) for the draft.

One that is interesting is Luke Adams. Listed as 198cm and 90kg. He made his debut for Swans late in the year (League) and was fantastic. A year older than the others. Got 15 touches and 39 hitouts in his first game. Seems to have grown about 5cm from last year when he was in the U18's. Only got to play 2 games in seniors for Swannies before injury struck in the Semi Final.

May be a bit short.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102696/default.aspx

Just took a look and realised Josh Jenkins is not on that State Combine list but he is certainly headed to the State Screening/Combine.
Aged 21, 200cm, 103kg and a ready made body shape with great skills and feel for the game

He's my buddy, and I have been keeping a close eye on his performances for Easts over the year.

He was always going to need at least 3 years to beef up. From the few games that I watched he seemed like he was about to break the shakkles, then never did. I don't know what it is but I think if he can stay injury free he might surprise a few!

Better he is on our list than BOB...

I'm sure BoB will get the flick before Dodd and Schammer. But it also appears Hall has today been delisted:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...rescott-returns-to-freo-as-development-coach/

I woudl think that Hall would be a chance to go on the rookie list but if homesickness is a real issue for him then perhaps he has just been cut.

Therefore the list changes to date
Added to the main list:
1. M. Barlow
2. M. Deboer
3. A. Silvani
4. J. VanBerlo

Delisted/Retired:
1. Dean Solomon (Retired)
2. Scott Thornton (Retired)
3. Paul Haselby (Retired)
4. Des Hedland (Retired)
5. Chris Hall (Delisted)
6. Chris Tarrant (Trade)

Dodd ??
BoB ??
Murphy ??
Hinkley ??
Schammer (Trade ??)

I expect Murphy and BoB to go. Meaning Dodd and Hinkley are unknowns with Schammer a chance to be traded.

I think players with reasonable AFL experience (Dodd, Schammer, Murphy) are being held onto for trade week. I'm sure they believe that if they can package them up for a better deal they will hold them.

Not sure re BoB and Hinkley. Maybe they'll get a second chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found a link that says VB has been upgraded - not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but I'm assuming it's a 2 year contract. For some reason it won't paste here, so you'll have to take my word for it.

McPharlin
Mundy
Walters
Bucovaz
Dodd
O'Brien
Hinkley
Murphy

Johnson
Clarke
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Ruffles
Mayne
Bradley
Hayden

Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo

Sandilands
Hill
Broughton

Pavlich

Rookies
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard

Veterans
Grover

Movements
Solomon - retired
Thornton - retired
Hasleby - retired
Headland - retired
Hall -delisted

Tarrant - trade

Comment on Dodd:

"Experienced defender Steven Dodd also faces several nervous days with his review due at the end of this week. The 27-year-old played just three AFL games this year after failing to miss a match last season."

I bet he's no where near as nervous as I am every time he runs out in the 22 !!

Question1. Do we need a proven backup ruckman for Sandi, if the answer is yes then go to Question2. Otherwise ignore the post.
Question2. Would trading Chris Tarrant for Josh Fraser be a good outcome for us.
Question3. Would trading Schammer for Griffin (Crows) be a better outcome for us.
IMHO Josh Fraser would be a pretty good fit at Freo, gives Sandi a break in the ruck and can play up forward as well.
I doubt we would get a suitable KPP trade for Tarrant from any of the Vic clubs without involving draft picks.

Fraser would be used primarily as a KF. He'd only ruck for 5% of the game and do the boundary throw ins and bounces deep in the forward line. Our Kosi if you like.

Sunday footy show just said that Swans will be offering Jesse White as trade bait. I personally think that either White or Clark would be a perfect fit for us.

BOG in the ressies GF was Jake Murphy. A 20yo midfielder for Claremont.

30 disp. 18 kicks, 12 HB, 4 tackles, 7 inside 50's, 2 goals.

Rookie list hope?

Cameron Grover went ok too.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back