2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley's the same age and currently playing in a WAFL GF and people are calling for him to be de-listed.

C'mon Dom, your normally better than that! Its easy to pick one player to make a point. Disapointing response from you.

I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone knew more about him but I didn't expect crap negative responses from someone who hasn't seen him play.

I liked Jetta and Ames' games today - not sure either are up to AFL quality though.

Coniglio is going to be a superstar!

No one else really stood out for me in regards to a drafting point of view. I think Krakouer will be gone by pick 7 so unless something unforeseen happens we'll miss out there.

There'll be love on this board for Ninyette but I wouldn't rush to get him tbh. Rookie list at best IMO but I reckon another club will take him before then.

C'mon Dom, your normally better than that! Its easy to pick one player to make a point. Disapointing response from you.

I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone knew more about him but I didn't expect crap negative responses from someone who hasn't seen him play.

I didn't think I was being overly negative, just seems a big jump Scham from WAFL reserves to AFL for a 20 year old.

I didn't think I was being overly negative, just seems a big jump Scham from WAFL reserves to AFL for a 20 year old.

He dominated though and who's to say that he's not better than a third of WAFL league players going around in weaker WAFL sides?

I'm also not expecting a 20yo to step straight from WAFL ressies to AFL - that would be silly but after 2 years on an AFL rookie list who knows? There's been a few other players make their AFL debut at 22yo hasn't there;)

I realise it was an "out of the square" suggestion but with comprimised drafts you have to secure talent when it's available.

He dominated though and who's to say that he's not better than a third of WAFL league players going around in weaker WAFL sides?

I'm also not expecting a 20yo to step straight from WAFL ressies to AFL - that would be silly but after 2 years on an AFL rookie list who knows? There's been a few other players make their AFL debut at 22yo hasn't there;)

I realise it was an "out of the square" suggestion but with comprimised drafts you have to secure talent when it's available.

Whats his primary attributes like Scham? I hate to be negative, but like Dom I think I am being realistic in saying he has to have something really special to get a look in even as a rookie list to jump from a best in the reserves sort of player.

Mundy's and Clarke's signatures and we look like this:

McPharlin
Walters
Bucovaz
Dodd
O'Brien
Hinkley
Murphy
Grover (Veteran)

Johnson
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Ruffles
Mayne
Bradley
Hayden

Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo

Sandilands
Hill
Broughton
Clarke

Pavlich
Mundy

Rookies
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard

Movements
Solomon - retired
Thornton - retired
Hasleby - retired
Headland - retired
Hall -delisted

Tarrant - trade

McPharlin
Walters
Bucovaz
Dodd
O'Brien
Hinkley
Murphy

IP, would you expect the last four of those names to be delisted, or will some of them (Hinkley would be the most likely I suppose) be retained for next year?

Five Strings, there are probably others more qualified to comment - I don't spend too much time here these days. BUT, I would think that the four of them are gorn. Murphy is a definite; I would think that O'Brien has done his dash and shown his body isn't up to it; Dodd is iffy - they might like to hang onto him as last resort backup, but probably not; and I would guess the same for Hinkley.

East Freo boys look great from the colts ,only lost 2 games all year. Tyler Chalwell played as ruck(colts team of the year as ruckman) but listed as a tall defender. he is very mobile, a big tank and great skills for a big man. Would be great at Freo. Sam menagola a tall forward in the same boat. Also team of the year. lets look at our local boys. cripps and vassolo great mids.

East Freo boys look great from the colts ,only lost 2 games all year. Tyler Chalwell played as ruck(colts team of the year as ruckman) but listed as a tall defender. he is very mobile, a big tank and great skills for a big man. Would be great at Freo. Sam menagola a tall forward in the same boat. Also team of the year. lets look at our local boys. cripps and vassolo great mids.

Totally agree. I think we'll be interested in all of the boys that you mentioned. Unfortunately I doubt we'll be able to get more than 1 or 2 as they'll be well sort after by most clubs.

Did you see the GF? Chalwells stats in the GF were super impressive but can sometimes be misleading. Was he as impressive as his stats indicated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five Strings, there are probably others more qualified to comment - I don't spend too much time here these days. BUT, I would think that the four of them are gorn. Murphy is a definite; I would think that O'Brien has done his dash and shown his body isn't up to it; Dodd is iffy - they might like to hang onto him as last resort backup, but probably not; and I would guess the same for Hinkley.

That would be my take on things, Dodd may be saved by the fact that the draft is going to be relatively thin (unless you're GC). Depends a lot on what happens with Taz trades and such I reckon.

As others have noted, BoB is a vague chance of getting back on our list somewhere too for one very very last hurrah - I'd say he's the most likely of all those 4 to get another look-in because he's impressed the coaching staff so much when fit.

Schamm
yes was at the game. He got named best player for the sharks and Steve malaxos is a good judge. Chalwell is 6' 3" runs all day obviously not a ruckman but was named in the colts team of the year there (beat the best the other teams had to offer). Averaged 20 odd posessions per game. Would be great as a key back but kicked a lot of goals when resting forward. i like tall wingman too and he runs all day and uses the ball well. A very talented versitle player. Ive heard that Collingwood and West Coast have spoken to him.

Not noticed this news elsewhere on this board, sorry if it's old news. But read today that Freo have formally offered Grover a one year deal. Unless the money is really p**s poor (remembering he is a Vet listed player) or Groves himself feels he can't go around again, I'd say he's a lock-in.

^^^If so, surely only as a rookie.

That said - there are much better options out there IMO. Can't recall many injury prone players that managed to turn it around. Once injury prone - always injury prone.

Re: Tyler Chalwell

Someone is interested if he has been asked to attend the combine (which he has). Listed as 192cm and 89kg.

http://www.wafc.com.au/talent/152-talent/2304-nab-afl-draft-combine-tall-defenders

Surely Dodd is 100% gone? I'd prefer Murphy to stay on the list over Dodd, atleast he's a good kick. We don't need players like Dodd who have poor skills and are even worse decision makers.

If we have a bad run with injuries I'd prefer to see Ibbo, Roberton, McPhee or Pearce forced to punch above their weight division than bring back Doddy. What's the height difference between Dodd and Duffman, would only be an inch or two?

How has Michael Thomson's son (James?) gone this season, I know he was on the clubs radar 12 months ago.

Surely Dodd is 100% gone? I'd prefer Murphy to stay on the list over Dodd, atleast he's a good kick. We don't need players like Dodd who have poor skills and are even worse decision makers.

I completely agree here Dom. I've always been a fan of Murph, and there would be no harm in keeping him on the list as depth for one more year. Get him in the gym again over the summer and ask him to play as a key back to replace Taz. Murph has always had the talent, he's just been starved of opportunities.

There would be a lot worse options then to keep Ryan Murphy for another year and give him a crack at Full Back.

Murph has always had the talent, he's just been starved of opportunities.

You do realise Murphy has played in 48 games since 2004. That's more than enough opportunity to demonstrate whether or not he can cut it at AFL level.

Good WAFL player, he just doesn't have enough tricks to take the next step.

You do realise Murphy has played in 48 games since 2004. That's more than enough opportunity to demonstrate whether or not he can cut it at AFL level.

Good WAFL player, he just doesn't have enough tricks to take the next step.

James Posiadly? 28 years old..had a few opportunities. Michael Barlow? You never know what he could throw up if you give him another crack.

James Posiadly? 28 years old..had a few opportunities. Michael Barlow? You never know what he could throw up if you give him another crack.

The trouble is Murphy has never been quick and is getting slower by the year.

Pods is quick, he's taller than Spud and much, much stronger. I guess as you're saying the strength thing can be fixed (he's had plenty of time to do that) but he's not going to get quicker or taller.

He's had plenty of opportunities and has been tried in the backline before which was a failure.

Schamm
yes was at the game. He got named best player for the sharks and Steve malaxos is a good judge. Chalwell is 6' 3" runs all day obviously not a ruckman but was named in the colts team of the year there (beat the best the other teams had to offer). Averaged 20 odd posessions per game. Would be great as a key back but kicked a lot of goals when resting forward. i like tall wingman too and he runs all day and uses the ball well. A very talented versitle player. Ive heard that Collingwood and West Coast have spoken to him.

Thanks for that! He actually sounds very good.

I had Anton Hamp down as a possibility for us to snare but this guy sounds better. Sounds better than Menegola too, would you agree?

All I'm saying is don't discard him from getting another opportunity at AFL Level next year. I'm sure there's a few clubs in Victoria that would be willing to throw him a lifeline.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back