2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise Murphy has played in 48 games since 2004. That's more than enough opportunity to demonstrate whether or not he can cut it at AFL level.

Good WAFL player, he just doesn't have enough tricks to take the next step.

To be fair his TOG would have been terrible, not to mention the amount and quality of ball coming in.

To be fair his TOG would have been terrible, not to mention the amount and quality of ball coming in.

Exactly. When he had decent service in '06 he showed glimpses of what he is capable of. He's been given one game this year and he kicked 2 goals out of 5 with our second team kicking the ball to him.

Give him another year to develop that body even more and let him play second fiddle to Pav next year.

We are crying out for a forward when Pav moves into the middle. There would be a hell of a lot worse things we could do than give him another summer to bulk up and let him play 2nd forward to Pav or even 3rd to MJ.

Be as fair as you like, I'd rather be honest. He's just not good enough.

I'd love to see the numbers if you have them but in all 48 games his TOG was terrible was it? It's impossible to gauge his last game at Freo given he was part of the 'B-Team' - which actually says a lot by the way - but he was on the ground for 93% of the time.

Exactly. When he had decent service in '06 he showed glimpses of what he is capable of. He's been given one game this year and he kicked 2 goals out of 5 with our second team kicking the ball to him.

Give him another year to develop that body even more and let him play second fiddle to Pav next year.

We are crying out for a forward when Pav moves into the middle. There would be a hell of a lot worse things we could do than give him another summer to bulk up and let him play 2nd forward to Pav or even 3rd to MJ.

He's had 7 pre-season's to bulk up, why would this one be any different?

I had a lot of time for Murphy in 2007, I was still defending him in 2008. We're now about to head into the 2011 season and he still hasn't got there. If he gets another contract it will be his 8th season in the AFL with nothing to show for it.

He's not fast enough on the lead for most defenders at AFL level. Nor is he a strong enough mark to balance that out. He's pretty much rubbish at ground level. His biggest strength, his set-shots, have not been anywhere near the same level they were in 2006.

Fremantle's biggest strength in 2010 is also probably Murphy's biggest weakness, forward-line pressure.

Honestly, I could go on and on - like Murphy's career - but what's the point.

Thanks for that! He actually sounds very good.

I had Anton Hamp down as a possibility for us to snare but this guy sounds better. Sounds better than Menegola too, would you agree?

Scham
Have been very impressed with Chalwell. He can run all day, has gr8 hands and plays both ends of the ground. Malaxos had him play a kick behind the play which worked a treat. Would have played state 18s but they were looking at him as a key back, unfortunatly Malaxos had to keep him in the ruck. In saying that he beat all the taller ruckman who played 18s. (hence colts team of the year there.)
Menegola has had a great year leading the goal kickers for the colts (42) also colts team of the year but missed out on the 18s. I think they will both go but would love to see them at Freo. Word is eagles keen on Chalwell and Menegola spoken to quite a few.
I think Chalwell has more versitility, Menegola only a CHF. At 6' 3" can Chalwell pinch hit in the ruck at AFL? Im not sure

Be as fair as you like, I'd rather be honest. He's just not good enough.

I'd love to see the numbers if you have them but in all 48 games his TOG was terrible was it? It's impossible to gauge his last game at Freo given he was part of the 'B-Team' - which actually says a lot by the way - but he was on the ground for 93% of the time.

Nope, haven't got the stats, just my personal observations from keeping an eye on him.

If you have any stats that prove my unsupported observations wrong, and that he was getting massive game time for the majority of his career, by all means send them my way. If you could get the rest of the lists for added context, I'd appreciate that aswell.

Brennan Stack has asked to be traded back to WA as he has a kid in Perth.

Assuming his manager isn't a total incompetant, it's fair to say he knows there is a club who wants him.

I can't see how he could end up at WC as they have no room on their list (4 rookie upgrades and a F/S) so you might find him heading your way.

Look at the bright side, he'll come cheap.

Schamm
yes was at the game. He got named best player for the sharks and Steve malaxos is a good judge. Chalwell is 6' 3" runs all day obviously not a ruckman but was named in the colts team of the year there (beat the best the other teams had to offer). Averaged 20 odd posessions per game. Would be great as a key back but kicked a lot of goals when resting forward. i like tall wingman too and he runs all day and uses the ball well. A very talented versitle player. Ive heard that Collingwood and West Coast have spoken to him.

Chalwell, there's a name. Dad was/ is a teacher? From BLJFC?

Sounds almost the same make up as his dad if that's the case. Good guy and good all round sportsman. If it is his son, and he has the same mentality, he'd be an asset to the club.

How has Michael Thomson's son (James?) gone this season, I know he was on the clubs radar 12 months ago.

James played the first 6 games but injured his ankle badly (required surgery) in that 6th game on 1 May 2010 and subsequently unable to play for 14/15 weeks. Played the last 4 games from 21 August 2010 in the reserves and was in the mix for the League GF team:
http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/fixtures-and-results

As per below he got 24 posessions and in the best for Reserves Premier Claremont:
http://www.w*************.au/players/player.php?playerID=7504

I watched him play on ABC earlier in the year and would be more than happy for him to be drafted by Fremantle late in the ND. He declined a Rookie training opportunity last year due to work commitments.

All I'm saying is don't discard him from getting another opportunity at AFL Level next year. I'm sure there's a few clubs in Victoria that would be willing to throw him a lifeline.

Good, then let's try get a draft pick for him and cut our losses.

It's funny to hear people every year beseeching the club to give him one more chance and every year he delivers exactly the same. Nothing.

I mentioned Brennan Stack about a month ago, so I would be interested if he did want to return home.

He'd be a decent replacement for the likes of Headland and Hasleby up forward. Has good speed and enough raw talent to work with. Kicked 4 goals against us in his second game game. Judging from their board, not all Bulldog supporters are fans with some seemingly questioning his commitment. But a return home could be just what he needs.

More importantly he would be a cheap option, much cheaper than a Josh Hill or Daniel Motlop.

Nope, haven't got the stats, just my personal observations from keeping an eye on him.

If you have any stats that prove my unsupported observations wrong, and that he was getting massive game time for the majority of his career, by all means send them my way. If you could get the rest of the lists for added context, I'd appreciate that aswell.

Nah, I'm not fussed either way. Playing as a permanent forward his TOG should be high. If it wasn't, the coaches obviously weren't too impressed with his game day contribution.

Honestly, it always seems to be someone else fault when Murphy doesn't perform. Not enough TOG, poor game plan, poor delivery, Chris Tarrant, too Pavcentric, homesick, poor team etc. Yet somehow, other players have managed to stand out, step up and make in impact in the last 4 seasons. I'd genuinely love to hear from someone why Murphy deserves another contract. Not just more of the same old excuses about why he didn't perform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd genuinely love to hear from someone why Murphy deserves another contract.

At the very least we should be looking to get a draft pick for someone with the talent of Murphy. There would be a few clubs in Victoria that would be willing to give him a chance for a pick in the 30's / 40's

At the very least we should be looking to get a draft pick for someone with the talent of Murphy. There would be a few clubs in Victoria that would be willing to give him a chance for a pick in the 30's / 40's

I'd love to get a pick in the 30's/40's for him, I reckon it's pretty unlikely though. Particularly if the 16 other clubs expect him to be delisted.

Thanks for the indepth response SuperKoops, great work. :thumbsu:

A pick in the 30's/40's is highly unlikely Haze, pick 30 odd is the second round so that definately won't happen. Pick 55 for Murphy would be a good result.

Nah, I'm not fussed either way. Playing as a permanent forward his TOG should be high. If it wasn't, the coaches obviously weren't too impressed with his game day contribution.

Honestly, it always seems to be someone else fault when Murphy doesn't perform. Not enough TOG, poor game plan, poor delivery, Chris Tarrant, too Pavcentric, homesick, poor team etc. Yet somehow, other players have managed to stand out, step up and make in impact in the last 4 seasons. I'd genuinely love to hear from someone why Murphy deserves another contract. Not just more of the same old excuses about why he didn't perform.

On the rare occasions he was getting a game, the only time he would really be on the ground is when Pav/Longmuir/Tarrant/McPharlin were having a rest. That's not to say he isn't capable, or have a role in the team, just that he isn't as capable, or perform that role as well as a handfull of the best KP players in the league.

The simple fact of the matter is he has always been behind some very good/excellent KP players in the pecking order, and suffered because of it.

Do I think he would have been one of the standout KP's in the comp, no. Do think he could have been a handy player for another club, certainly.

Think up whatever argument you want to turn it into a purple glasses scenario, I really don't care, but if you think he wouldn't have gotten a better run at a club/clubs with inferior KP stocks, then I really do think you're wrong.

What are the thoughts on the Schammer for Jonathan Griffen trade?

Thats the mail around here in Victoria that its pretty much a done deal after we knocked back Josh Fraser. Personally Ive never seen much of Griffen play but I know we would benefit from a versatile 2nd Ruckman that could play predominantly as the 2nd KF.

On the rare occasions he was getting a game, the only time he would really be on the ground is when Pav/Longmuir/Tarrant/McPharlin were having a rest. That's not to say he isn't capable, or have a role in the team, just that he isn't as capable, or perform that role as well as a handfull of the best KP players in the league.

The simple fact of the matter is he has always been behind some very good/excellent KP players in the pecking order, and suffered because of it.

Do I think he would have been one of the standout KP's in the comp, no. Do think he could have been a handy player for another club, certainly.

Think up whatever argument you want to turn it into a purple glasses scenario, I really don't care, but if you think he wouldn't have gotten a better run at a club/clubs with inferior KP stocks, then I really do think you're wrong.

That's a good point Muffin and every club's supporters has players they don't like, think are crabs etc. Now, originally I wasn't a Murphy fan, but I've mellowed with age!:p I watch a lot of WAFL footy, so see a fiar bit of him and whilst he's not the hardest bloke on the field he can take a mark, leads well and kick a ball straight. If there was a team that had good delivery into the F50 he'd be worth a shot. If he's got to go and hunt his own ball, a la the Eagles forwards, then that won't go too well.

The other point, and I was going to start a thread on this, is that the guy deserves kudos for being loyal and remaining upbeat. I've listened to him all year on 94.5 and it must be hard when your team is going so well, yet he remained buoyant and gracious. He said on Friday morning that he wouldn't be at the Dockers next year and is getting married over the summer, so I hope something works out for him.:thumbsu:

What are the thoughts on the Schammer for Jonathan Griffen trade?

Thats the mail around here in Victoria that its pretty much a done deal after we knocked back Josh Fraser. Personally Ive never seen much of Griffen play but I know we would benefit from a versatile 2nd Ruckman that could play predominantly as the 2nd KF.

I think its a win for Sharks supporters and a loss for Tiger supporters. That's about the extent of it.

I think its a win for Sharks supporters and a loss for Tiger supporters. That's about the extent of it.

Agree with this. Although in the event of an injury crisis to our big man stocks I think he would be more handy than Schammer would be for an injury crisis to our midfield stocks. So I give it a tick. It's a toss of the coin as to whether he is better than Fraser but he is certainly not as soft and did show a little a couple of seasons ago. A return home might be the motivation he needs as well as being close to sick father. But it would be a worry if he is playing a lot in the team. He would not be a great combination option with Sandilands. I think that Clarke/Bradley/Johnson are all better options because of their ability to play forward. But if Sandilands goes down then he comes in as he is a strong body that is a good tap ruckman. Bradley/Johnson are good around the ground but not so good in the ruck. Clarke is good in the ruck but has a slight body as evidenced when monstered by Mumford. Clarke has developed his forward game at East Perth very nicely since his shocker against the Saints in the middle part of the year.

I saw Bradley and Thornton in Claremont on Thursday at a Cafe and Bradley had a notable limp. He always seems to get up for the games but his knees are not going to see him go around all year nor for many more seasons.

The other point, and I was going to start a thread on this, is that the guy deserves kudos for being loyal and remaining upbeat. I've listened to him all year on 94.5 and it must be hard when your team is going so well, yet he remained buoyant and gracious. He said on Friday morning that he wouldn't be at the Dockers next year and is getting married over the summer, so I hope something works out for him.:thumbsu:

I didn't know he had a regular radio gig. The sport budget at 94.5 must be really low since they went with Murph. ;)

One week to Trade Week - My wish list for trading is:

Mitch Clark - We need a big - gun Full forward - if we are going to take a serious crack at the flag in the next 3 years we need pav in the forward line with another quality big man down there, he seems to fit the bill for me. We need someone that will take some of the pressure off pav up forward instead of him attracting 2-3 of the big defenders all the time

Johnson and Bradley have not worked there really, and having him down there would free up Johnson to take a key role down back where he always looks better IMHO.

Griffin is not versatile enough for us with Sandi taking a lot of game time we need a ruckman that can play in the forward pocket or down back, Griffin is just a ruckman - and Zac Clarke is already as good as Griffin - so why bother?

Josh Hill - We need a midfielder or two to come in. He is a good Midfielder/small forward. He could swap with Walters or Ballas to add depth in the middle.

Houli from the bombers is also apparently talking to the club - he may work out instead of or as well as Hill

Mitch Clark would fit our team perfectly playing 85% of game time at Full Forward and then becoming a more than handy backup ruckman when Sandi needs a rest.

Clark's a WA boy and with Brisbane looking to relieve salary cap it could be an opportune time to go after him.

However, a player of his calibre would not come cheaply.

I'd be willing to part with our first round pick + possibly a player like Byron Schammer.

What are the thoughts on a fair and reasonable trade to bring him to Perth?

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back