2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching the first half of the Eagles game, man I wish we went Darling with pick 20. No doubt Pitt looks like an excellent prospect but Darling could have had an immediate impact in our forward line, especially when we lack quality key forwards. I suppose his off field stuff is still to be tested.

I see where you are coming from but Pitt is silk.

I recall seeing the Falcons Manager interviewed and he said he has not seen a better kick come through the Falcons - this includes names like Ablett, Bartel, Hodge, Ling and Scarlett, so it is pretty hefty praise.

We are seeing a change in modern footy and if there is a footy smart, elite kick - you just have to keep adding them to your list.

I don't know - there is in all likelihood going to be a trend where the quick kick from congestion to quality forward becomes the dominant tactic. That said, Darling could sit anywhere on the Lynch to Pavlich scale.

I also reckon the Geelong Falcons people are kings of the superlative.

Darling was always going to have an early impact though. The guy is a beast for someone his age. For the first season at least, it will probably be another Rich v Hill debate. But we came out of that one looking pretty damn good.

I don't think Darling will necessarily stall, but it shouldn't be long until Pitt goes past him. I never expected Pitt to have any impact this early in his career, so what he has done is an extremely positive sign of things to come.

With a midfield of Mundy, Hill, Fyfe, Morabito, Hinkley, Barlow and Pitt it shouldn't matter who we have up forward. That sort of talent can make anyone look good.

Darling was always going to have an early impact though. The guy is a beast for someone his age. For the first season at least, it will probably be another Rich v Hill debate. But we came out of that one looking pretty damn good.

I don't think Darling will necessarily stall, but it shouldn't be long until Pitt goes past him. I never expected Pitt to have any impact this early in his career, so what he has done is an extremely positive sign of things to come.

With a midfield of Mundy, Hill, Fyfe, Morabito, Hinkley, Barlow and Pitt it shouldn't matter who we have up forward. That sort of talent can make anyone look good.
Hinkley! I would be surpised if he is still with Freo next year

Okay, I admit this is one of those bullshit 20:20 posts where I say what should/could of been, but I need to get it out.

Pick 20: Darling (instead of Pitt)
PSD: Ed Curnow (instead of Anthony - I was dead keen on Curnow)

Curnow was always going to do a Barlow, he was waaay too good for VFL. Huge endurance/gut running mid.

Sometimes recruiters think about things too much - like Darling's misdemeanours in highschool.

Oh well, if Pitt ends up like a Pendlebury type player I'll still be happy.

Pitt looks all class. Very happy with that selection despite Darling looking good.

Get enough class midfielders and they can spoon feed any old crab up forward to kick goals for you.

Okay, I admit this is one of those bullshit 20:20 posts where I say what should/could of been, but I need to get it out.

Pick 20: Darling (instead of Pitt)
PSD: Ed Curnow (instead of Anthony - I was dead keen on Curnow)

Curnow was always going to do a Barlow, he was waaay too good for VFL. Huge endurance/gut running mid.

Sometimes recruiters think about things too much - like Darling's misdemeanours in highschool.

Oh well, if Pitt ends up like a Pendlebury type player I'll still be happy.

Surely the player to go for instead of Anthony was Beau Wilkes.
Has been the best big man in the WAFL for three seasons. And we need genuine backman depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he wasn't very impressive for Souths last year but someone who has been carving up this season for the Thunder is Ross Tungatalum.

Has been super impressive and I wont be surprised to see him picked up. He is my lock as a recruit out of the territory. Apart from Jed Anderson to GWS etc.

You'll get a chance to see him when we beat East Perth later on this year.

Sheeds will probably pick Ross up.

I think we erred in keeping Schammer on for another year. Why? For what purpose? Why not delist him last year and pick up Ed Curnow in the main draft. Curnow >>>>>> Schammer. Heck Curnow got 40 possessions against the best of WA last year.

Early days yet but Schammer is in the firing line this year, Bolly is struggling a bit and has been overtaken by Mitchie/Mellington, needs to lift his game or he could be in the firing line too. Hinkley is in the firing line too - very lucky to get another year.

Sheeds will probably pick Ross up.

I think we erred in keeping Schammer on for another year. Why? For what purpose? Why not delist him last year and pick up Ed Curnow in the main draft. Curnow >>>>>> Schammer. Heck Curnow got 40 possessions against the best of WA last year.

Early days yet but Schammer is in the firing line this year, Bolly is struggling a bit and has been overtaken by Mitchie/Mellington, needs to lift his game or he could be in the firing line too. Hinkley is in the firing line too - very lucky to get another year.
Every year someone whinges that we didn't cut deeply enough.

I know he wasn't very impressive for Souths last year but someone who has been carving up this season for the Thunder is Ross Tungatalum.

How old would Ross be now? 21? And I believe he is playing a sort of high half forward role up there for the Thunder?

Good to hear he is playing well anyway. Crazy that an AFL team would delist someone who was clearly a project, after just one season on a rookie list.

Get Cruize Garlett from North Melbourne, hes a gun, North are clearly not letting him play to his potential, hes been sub 3 times in his 6 games this season.
He kills it in VFL, played twice this yr at VFL level and averaged about 35 disposals, could be a really good add to our midfield.
I remember last year he played us and had 29 disposals in only 52% game time.
Ive watched him play this year and he has probably the quickest hands in the afl when getting the and out of contested situations.

Straight swap Cruize Garlett for Clayton Hinkley

Interested to hear the thoughts on the following players from those over West that get to see a bit more of the WAFL than I do:

Lewis Fasolo (Easts) - brother of Alex, seems to be doing very well this year for Easts.
Alroy Gilligan (Claremont) - smallish, very quick indigenous kid. Was on Richmond's rookie list for a while (had JON and Tambling as mentors!) but is playing quite well for Claremont. Watched a bit of him on Iview, looks really good, very evasive, good defensive pressure.
Nathan Blee (East Perth) - getting a bit of press of late as a 20 yo key defender taking on and beating a lot of the best key forwards in the WAFL (http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/2616-blee-comes-up-trumps-in-royals-defence)

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back